Windows 7

General discussion

Legacy software on Windows 7

by pyramid14 / August 17, 2009 11:16 PM PDT

Has anyone had experience running older software on Windows 7? I may be the last person around using Lotus123 (version 5 no less, introduced in the Windows 3.1/95 era) but it's still better than Excel and I have thousands of macros and formulas that won't migrate. I've tried.

Would anyone have a sense of the chances that it'd work or if there is a web site where it could be tested out?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Legacy software on Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Legacy software on Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I did NOT test Lotus 1-2-3.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2009 12:40 AM PDT

But I did install VIRTUAL BOX (see google) on Windows 7 RC and DOS 6.2 (the last licensed dos I kept my disks and such for) and it all worked fine in VIRTUA BOX.

So this is probably what many will end up doing. Either that or XP MODE (see google.)
Bob

Collapse -
Virtual Box
by pyramid14 / August 19, 2009 8:19 AM PDT

Thank you! I took a quick look at the site and it looks promising. A question, though, if you've used it. Do you have to have a copy of the older operating system to install? My Windows XP came bundled with my computer and won't install on another machine. If I got a new computer with Windows 7 would I have to go buy a copy of XP to load inside the Virtual Box?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Research XP MODE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2009 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Virtual Box

But about that OS in Virtual Box. All the same license terms apply so the answer is yes. I installed XP and let it run for 28 days without activation for the tests. However the DOS version was kept around for more testing.
Bob

Collapse -
XP mode in Windows 7
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 4, 2009 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: Virtual Box
Collapse -
Lotus 123
by not dead yet / August 19, 2009 7:47 AM PDT

You are not alone! I am still running the Lotus precursor AMIPRO software which does all the things OFFICE doesn;t do. better and simpler thsn 123. I dread upgrading to Vista or Windows 7. Do you have Vista working with Lotus?

Collapse -
Lotus and older software
by pyramid14 / August 19, 2009 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Lotus 123

I've successfully managed to avoid Vista since my XP system is doing just fine, but in 3 or 4 months you probably won't be able to buy a new computer with a Windows OS other than 7 so I worry. It's nice to know that there are other folks who use what works even if it isn't the newest thing around.

Collapse -
Amipro and Win 7
by Schoutedeni / October 26, 2009 9:40 PM PDT

Hi, I thought I was the only one still running Amipro. Makes MS Word look lethargic. Can you tell me if you were able to get it to work on Win 7 or with 64 bit?
I ran Amipro on my son's Vista Dell laptop with no problems (other than the fact that a plug in mouse won't work unless it is connected via an old "mouse" port and not USB.
TIA.

Collapse -
AmiPro and 64 bit
by garyd11 / September 5, 2010 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Amipro and Win 7

Just got a new laptop and am devastated that AmiPro won't install. AmiPro, as others have said is far better than any of today's word processing program. I can always rely on it to get the job done the way I want it done. Has anyone found a work-around to loading AmiPro on a 64 bit machine?

Collapse -
Re: Ami Pro
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2010 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: AmiPro and 64 bit

The general recipe in cases like this:
1. Anytime upgrade (not free!) to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.
2. Install virtual XP.
3. Install the offending program in that XP.

Might very well work (unless the 64 bit version of Windows 7 comes with the ill-fated 64 bit version of Windows XP and AmiPro doesn't even run under that OS). In that case an anytime downgrade (so to speak) to the 32-bit version of Windows 7 might be necessary to run such a limited program as AmiPro seems to be.

Please let us know the results.

Kees

Collapse -
I have XP Mode and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2010 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ami Pro

It is XP 32 bit from all indications and behavior.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
You are not alone
by garyd11 / September 5, 2010 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Amipro and Win 7

You are right on about AmiPro. It is simply the best, far and above ANY of today's word processors. I am desperate to find a way to install in on my 64 bit machine.

Collapse -
I have used Foxpro 2.6 in
by orlbuckeye / August 21, 2009 4:50 AM PDT

vista and it still works.

Collapse -
Vista and 123r5w
by rickparker / September 25, 2009 11:00 PM PDT

I run 123r5w just fine on Vista. I have a 123r5w application that I market to 160 business for 12 years. I am concerned that Windows 7 won't handle 123r5w in or out of a 64 bit OS.

Appreciate the feed back.

Rick

Collapse -
How concerned are you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2009 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista and 123r5w

The Windows 7 beta and RC were there for us to pre-flight and answer if our applications worked or not.

I was there.
Bob

Collapse -
Troubleshooting older software
by TaraS_WinTeam / September 30, 2009 7:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
thank you.
by pyramid14 / September 30, 2009 9:53 AM PDT

Thank you. This helped enormously. I even was able to load a favorite very old DOS based game that I'd given up years ago on ever playing again.

Collapse -
Great!
by TaraS_WinTeam / September 30, 2009 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you.

I am so glad we resolved the issue! Happy Gaming!

Collapse -
The thing you have to llok at with legacy software is
by orlbuckeye / October 27, 2009 2:28 AM PDT

that your porbably not going to get a 16 bit application to run in a 64 bit OS. So even if you install Win 7 64 bit the XP more is 32 bit and if you rujn in XP now Lotus, Ami Pro and even Professional Write should work. I can run Foxpro 2.6 for DOS or windows in Vista 32 bit.

Collapse -
XP compatability mode in Win 7
by Schoutedeni / October 27, 2009 3:12 AM PDT

so is XP compatability mode, just a setting you use when opening a legacy program (like "run as administrator", or is it more like opening a Xp windows and then running the new program in this window/environment?
TIA

Collapse -
XP mode can be downloaded and installed
by orlbuckeye / October 27, 2009 4:28 AM PDT

in WIN 7. The you bring up XP and install the software there. Once it's installed shows in the start menu All programs under Windows Virtual PC\Windows XP Mode Applications. Ypu can send the shortcut to the desktop by right clicking on the software and select send Desktop. That creates a shortcut on the desktop and when you launch it it will run seemlessly in Win 7 but you will see a the virtual machine starting in a window.

Collapse -
Xp mode
by Schoutedeni / October 27, 2009 5:16 AM PDT

Now I'm really confused. I just viewed a XP compatabilility video on the MS site and it says to just run the program in compatability mode and then select which mode (Xp, Vista, etc. . .). Is this different than running Xp in a virtual window? Do you need a licensed copy of Xp to install in this window, or is everything "built in" during the initial install?

Collapse -
win 7 & lotus 123
by jax216 / November 30, 2009 4:43 AM PST

I've been using 123 since win 3.1, and haven't had any trouble with installing through all the "new" win os. until now. I have a new win 7 pc and get the same FLW+855 Overflow error that others have talked about when i try to install it. I am going to have my Lotus one way or the other, but I would really like it on my new machine. Any help would be great and I'll post anything I figure out.

Collapse -
What have you tried?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: win 7 & lotus 123

XP MODE?
Virtual Box?
DOSBOX?

There are more tricks here than I can possibly list but tell what you tried.

Collapse -
win7/lotus
by jax216 / November 30, 2009 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: What have you tried?

first i tried just a straight up install and got the error. just now trying to install from command prompt and it looked like it was going to go but its stopping on 27.dsk file and won't go any further. says cant read that file. i'm assuming something with the disk is the problem now since it can't read. i have an older version (SmartSuite96)and all i'm wanting to install is 123. the install got to 86% complete then i got the read error. do you think it is actually a read error? the rest of the install looked like it always did.

Collapse -
I re-read this discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: win7/lotus

And didn't find much about the hardware. Disk read errors are not uncommon. Let's share how I deal with them.

1. CD/DVD/Floppy head clearners.
2. Duplicate the media to a new CD/DVD/Floppy.
a. Use 1/2 of the media or recorder speed, whichever is lower, slower.

3. No spybot please.

4. Try a new CD/DVD drive.

Collapse -
win7/lotus
by jax216 / November 30, 2009 7:27 PM PST

The system is brand new (4 days old. Of course I know that doesn't mean there isn't a hardware problem. Asus pc dual core 2.6ghz, 6gig RAM, SATA, standard DVDrom. I will try the head cleaner and slower speed tonight and then try to dup the cd if still no go.

Collapse -
Let me write a little more about the cleaner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: win7/lotus

Details are light but a guess it is installing from CD. Even a new machine could have dust on the CD/DVD lens. I have the usual cleaner CD but would not use that on the new BLURAY drives.

The source or install CD would be my next stop. Duplicate it using the old rule of half the speed of the media or drive which ever is lower or slower.
Bob

Collapse -
drive
by jax216 / December 1, 2009 1:23 AM PST

Yes, i am trying to install from a CD. I have a regular lens cleaner also, the drive is not Blu-Ray. I haven't really looked, but what other kind of lens cleaner is there? I have run some other cd's and dvd's with no problem, but I'll clean it anyway to be sure, can't hurt, right. I'm going to dup the cd tonight and try that. The weird thing to me is that it always stops at the same place in the install, one particular dll file in the package. If there are other details you need, let me know and I'll fill them in. Thanks

Collapse -
16 BIT SOFTWARE ON 64 BIT WINDOWS 7
by pfielder / December 30, 2009 7:26 AM PST

I installed VM Ware Workstation on 64-bit Windows 7. This allowed me to create a virtual machine and install 32-bit Windows XP, which allowed me to install 16-bit Amipro. It worked perfectly, all my macros run properly and I am even able to print directly from Amipro to the printer connected to the host Windows 7. An effective solution, if not cheap. Amipro lives on ! To my mind still the greatest word processor ever written. - Paul

Collapse -
Thanks
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 31, 2009 2:55 AM PST

Thank you for sharing the solution to this problem!

Happy New Years!
Tara

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.