Laptops forum

General discussion

LED vs. LCD screens on laptops

by qqqq88 / April 9, 2009 11:49 PM PDT

So I'm buying a new laptop workstation, Dell Precision M6400, and the Dell website gives you the option to upgrade to a RGB LED screen instead of a LCD screen.

I've never used an LED screen. Does anyone know what the pros and cons of LED vs LCD screen are, as far as screen lag, burn-in, viewing angle, glare, etc.?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LED vs. LCD screens on laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LED vs. LCD screens on laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's only confusing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

Both are LCD screens. What's changing is the source of illumination for the LCD panel.

Old = CCFL.
New = LED.

You can google CCFL since I will not write what that is. But the LED in most cases will give you more battery time and will out last the CCFL which does dim and shift color over time.

As the LCD didn't change and only the lighting, there is no difference in lag, glare, and angle.

LCDs did not have a burn in issue. However there are some that will propagate myths and you must slap them silly over this quickly while you can.
Bob

Collapse -
One other thing to add.
by Renegade Knight / April 10, 2009 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: It's only confusing.

LED backlight screens seem a bit 'harsher' than CCFL. It's hard to put a finger on but the ones I've seen this is the case. That said I'd take LED over CCFL for the reasons mentioned above.

Collapse -
There is a color shift from CCFL to LED.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2009 6:05 AM PDT

If you research this you find that the color gamut and temperature does differ.

-> Just like when we went from Incandescent to Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL) you have to give it a little time till you don't notice. At less I didn't here.

On most machines we can play with the color profiles, brightness and more so I think you are making the right choice here.
Bob

Collapse -
LCD vs LED
by lueeluee / January 11, 2010 3:49 AM PST

I bought a new one with LED, not as sharp but seems to run cooler and should last longer without LCD inverter backlight. It burnt out in my old laptop after about 4 years of heavy use.

Collapse -
LED not as sharp
by bobbyfranky / January 5, 2011 4:06 PM PST

I recently ought a Samsung 55 inch tv and the led -lcd backlight was terrible. The picture lacked sharpness. I returned it.

Now I bought a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S511 with 15.6 LED display. I needed a new laptop and went for L2 cache and wanted 15-16 inch screen so found this one which had great reviews for its runing quiet and cool. Not having bought a laptop in a few years, I did not know that they too have that LED-LCD thing in many of them. I hate it and it too is going back.

LED screens are not sharp - the edges of images/movies suffer greatly. They only produce a semi-decent picture if it is bright - like on a sunny beach or a sunny day. Mixed images (like most scenes in movies or most photos) look like crap. No edge detail between light and dark - it all fuzzes together. And the bigger the screen (like the 55 inch tv was atrocious) the more noticeable it is - even on the 15 inch screen it is terrible.

I would bet my money that is why Dell dropped the 22 inch LED option - probably had to many returns and complaints.

LED technology is inherently flawed. It was developed to try to overcome the shortcoming of handling true blacks on an LCD screen. If you notice, plasma tv's are on the upswing - all those who get LEDs or want sharp images at high speed like during a footbal game or nlascar race are noting that plasma delivers.

My opinion - stay away from LED. It is a seriously and hopelessly flawed technology that will be dropped in a few years by the manufacturers. The shining from the back of the LEDs is uneven, causing loss of edges and distorted images and color splotches especially on flesh tones - so all people look splotchy. I kid you not. They look like animated images instead of filmed images, because the splotches or patches of monotone colors blend together to look like somebody water colored the people.

IMHO, Stay Far Away from LED!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.