Samsung forum

LED TV has ONE dead pixel, should i return it?

by RayzTheRoof / August 15, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

My tv has a dead pixel in the top left of the screen. I normally never notice it but when I get withing two or three feet of the screen I can see it. I was wondering if it is worth it to ask Amazon for a fourth replacement (others had issues) tv. I am worried though that a new set would have an issue like vertical banding, which was terrible with my first tv (before any replacements) but is fine with this one.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LED TV has ONE dead pixel, should i return it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LED TV has ONE dead pixel, should i return it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
more details
by RayzTheRoof / August 15, 2011 9:26 AM PDT

I think it's worth noting that all of the tv's have had pixel problems so far too. The first tv i ordered had about 5 stuck pixels and 2 dead ones. The replacement arrived with a stuck pixel in the center of the screen. The third tv arrived broken, and now this one has one dead pixel.

All Answers

Collapse -
within speck
by Mr Shaun Warburton / August 15, 2011 9:11 AM PDT

One dead pixel falls well within the industry standard and you would be hard pressed to get a replacement with just one pixel out.

Collapse -
by RayzTheRoof / August 15, 2011 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: within speck

amazon is usually very generous with replacements. as i mentioned, this is like the fourth one they gave me, and i think they will give me another.

Collapse -
Your choice as a consumer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 9:12 AM PDT

You don't like a scratch on a new car and while LCD makers still want to write about one bad pixel is acceptable, you can play your consumer hand and get what you want.

Collapse -
I could but...
by RayzTheRoof / August 15, 2011 9:22 AM PDT

I could get a new replacement but I am worried the next set will have vertical banding like my first did. And I go away to school in 11 days and am worried I won't be home to get another replacement and test it if the next one turns out to be bad

Collapse -
Why not get what you want?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 9:38 AM PDT
In reply to: I could but...

If you are gone, just call the whole deal off. Remember that there are those that write "it's in spec" but you as the consumer have the final say.

Don't like it? Return it and say "I'll try later."

Collapse -
Good advice
by RayzTheRoof / August 15, 2011 9:48 AM PDT

I thought about just returning it and waiting for next year's models. But I am going to want to play a bunch of new video games during winter break and need a big tv for then. I think I am just gonna not risk getting a tv with vertical banding and stick with this one dead pixel. Maybe in time I will learn to ignore it.

Collapse -
I'm about 1 for 10
by LJoe2000 / August 15, 2011 1:06 PM PDT

I've owned or directly used about 10 LCD monitors or TV's over the last 6<span> years or so, and only 1 no name monitor has had a dead pixel. The standard may say something nutty like half a dozen have to be head in a given area, but I wouldn't tolerate it. From my experience, 90% of TV's and monitors have no pixel issues.

<span>For a TV, if the pixel is stuck off, I might try and live with it, but it stuck on, I'd do everything I could to get a replacement. For a monitor, I'm a little more forgiving (esp. for the inexpensive no name brands). There I would definitely keep one with a stuck off pixel and may even with a stuck on near the edge.

Collapse -
by RayzTheRoof / August 15, 2011 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm about 1 for 10

Yes this is a Samsung TV. It is the UN46D8000 and I am almost positive that the televisions are not refurbished because there is no physical damage and every item has its original packaging.

Collapse -
All four corners blue-ish?
by LJoe2000 / August 16, 2011 1:42 PM PDT
In reply to: samsung

If all four corners have a slightly washed out look when the screen is dark, its probably just bleed through on the back light. That wouldn't bother me so much (assuming you can't see it when there is an image displayed in the corners). My C7000 has a little bleed on the corners, but you can only see it on a dark screen, and really only if you look for it.

Collapse -
often blue during gaming
by RayzTheRoof / August 19, 2011 2:02 PM PDT

Whenever I play most of my video games the corners are blue. I do not know why. Whenever I play Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, or even Battlefield: Bad Company 2 the corners are blue. When I play Halo though, they aren't. It's a weird issue.

Collapse -
LED TV has ONE dead pixel, should i return it?
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / August 18, 2011 4:50 AM PDT

I'm sorry to hear that you have had an issue with multiple TVs. From the available information you have provided, it would seem the best next course of action would be to contact Samsung Service for additional assistance and more accurate troubleshooting. I unforutnately cannot give you any advice in regards to returns or exchanges. Perhaps others on this forum can provide you with additional information.

Collapse -
They won't fix it but thanks
by RayzTheRoof / August 18, 2011 5:26 AM PDT

Thanks for the advice to contact them, but I already know they don't fix your tv if it only has one dead pixel. Guess I am just going to have to deal with it :/

Collapse -
by Mr Shaun Warburton / August 19, 2011 7:37 AM PDT

Well if you knew the answer why ask the question in the first place?

Collapse -
because that wasn't what i asked
by RayzTheRoof / August 19, 2011 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Why?

I didn't ask if Samsung would do anything about it. I asked for advice regarding whether I should keep it or not.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.