Samsung forum

General discussion

LED television burn-in: does it exist?

by pepenavarro / April 4, 2010 6:29 AM PDT

I thought I had it sorted out already: plasmas suffer from burn-in, LCDs (LED or not LED) do not. Than I looked into my Samsung user manual and read this on page 1:

Do not display a still image and partially still image on the LED panel for more than 2 hours as it can cause screen image retention. This image retention is also known as screen burn. To avoid such image retention, reduce the degree of
brightness and contrast of the screen when displaying a still image.Watching the LED TV in 4:3 format for a long period of time may leave traces of borders displayed on the left, right and centre of the screen caused by the difference of light emission on the screen.
Playing a DVD or a game console may cause a similar effect to the screen.
Damages caused by the above effect are not covered by the Warranty.

So now I am lost. Please help me understand - is burn-in a risk or not on LEDs?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LED television burn-in: does it exist?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LED television burn-in: does it exist?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To get image retention.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 6:39 AM PDT

It is well known you have to put that image up for days at a time. Since you want to look at that image for so long there is no reason to worry about this? That is, if you used it for displays like an airport arrival schedule, the grid would indeed burn in but since we want that grid there is no reason to think this is an issue.
Collapse -
Image retention does exist
by johnghampton / August 7, 2011 3:36 PM PDT

Yes it does exist. I am now very aware of it having bought a Samsung floor model LED TV only to discover Samsung's display mode information burnt into the screen. Luckily they gave me full factory warranty, so back to the store it goes tomorrow.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.