Computer Help forum

General discussion

LED Screens and freezing temperatures.

by rl9god / August 26, 2008 4:56 AM PDT

I am wanting to purchase an LED HDTV, and am wondering what the minimun temperature is that an LED screen will tolerate. The TV is to be placed in a motorhome, that sometimes gets down to 30 below zero.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LED Screens and freezing temperatures.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LED Screens and freezing temperatures.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the specs
by Jimmy Greystone / August 26, 2008 5:28 AM PDT

Check the specs for the TV. There's virtually always some kind of information on this sort of thing with all the technical details about power consumption and what not.

My guess however, would be that if you have an LCD -- I'm guessing you meant LCD since AFAIK LED displays, which is a completely different technology, is still a few years off from being practical -- TV in such environments, it would likely be bad for it. The crystals could very well freeze, then expand, cracking the display and generally making a mess.

I would not make such a TV a permanent fixture in an RV.

Collapse -
LCD screen and freexing temperatures.
by rl9god / August 26, 2008 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Check the specs

I guess the same Jimmy. And yes, I meant LCD, Thank you. I haven't ever seen any info. re: temperature in the tech specs. I'll keep looking.

Collapse -
It's usually
by Jimmy Greystone / August 26, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

It's usually in the back of a manual... One of the last couple of pages that will have things like the maximum power load the unit is rated for, and operating environment information like min and max temperatures, altitude limitations, and even humidity levels.

In general though, I'd say -30F (or even -30C) would probably be far too cold. I would hate to have it below the freezing point of water personally. If it will frequently be getting even that cold inside the RV itself, I would rethink the whole idea.

Collapse -
by rl9god / August 26, 2008 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: It's usually

Thank you Jimmy. It helps to get this idea out of my head and into discussion.

Collapse -
re:LED Screens and freezing temperatures.
by ROZHER / October 7, 2011 11:58 PM PDT

It is still an LCD TV, but with LEDs providing the light and yes they are better. They use less power and are potentially more long lived. Contrary to popular belief, LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) Technology does not involve any sort of liquid whatsoever. LCD panels use tiny microchips that "twist" open to allow light to pass through the display to your eyes. There is no risk of these Crystal "twisters" to freeze. They can get cold, and their "twisting" can be reduced however, but that's about it. I do suggest allow the tv to warm up before use. The answer to your questions would be like asking if it is ok to leave a calculator in a cabin for the winter. Calculators use the same "LCD" technology, and of course, I'm sure the one you left at the cabin last year still works just fine. On a side note, keep in mind, lcd technology has been around for over 50 years (invented by sharp) and the technology is used everywhere, like your car dashboard like GPS and display screens, boeing 747 airplane control panels, laptops. All these items can and will be exposed to freezing temperatures at some time in their lives, and they are still "Living"

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.