Computer Newbies

General discussion

Learn2 Player

by michhala / April 8, 2005 2:38 PM PDT

Learn2 Player (uninstall only) is in my Add/Remove, and I do not know from whence it came. I did a search for related files and nothing showed up. I have looked on Google, and it does not seem as if I have use for this software. Methinks it appeared when I reformatted and reinstalled in January. It is 0.68 MB in Add/Remove.

I would appreciate receiving any information and personal experiences anyone has had with this program.

My thanks.
Miki

Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP2)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Learn2 Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Learn2 Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you believe you don't use it, then
by damasta55r / April 8, 2005 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Learn2 Player

uninstall it. A player like that is usually spyware,adware,etc.
ROger

Collapse -
Miki, The Learn2 Player Is Just Another Multimedia Player...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 8, 2005 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Learn2 Player

...which is installed by a number of different computer tutorial software such as "Mentor", "E-Learn" and others. You should be able to uninstall it in the "Add/Remove Programs" section..

You should first check to see which program might be using it...Should that program require the player to display its video tutorials, then program might not work.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
'check to see what program might be using it'..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 9, 2005 12:57 PM PDT

Grif..

I could have posted exactly as Miki, the only exception being, I did not reformat. I do not remember Learn2 Player being in Add/Remove, when I first got the computer a year ago, but I may be wrong. (It was one of the questions, I was eventually going to get around to! She did it for me.)

I don't have her experience, and do not know how I would go about finding, which program might be using it? I would be ever so grateful, if you could explain this.

Thanks..as usual..

Dell Dimension 4600i
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP Home - (SP2)
512 MB RDRAM

Collapse -
Carol, Easier Said Than Done
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 9, 2005 2:00 PM PDT

Since Learn2 is normally used by tutorial types of programs, you'll need to search through your computer programs, run them and check for portions of the program that require videos to run. Because the program is frequently downloaded as "plugin" to assist your browser in viewing online media, it may have been downloaded in that manner and can sometimes have it's own icon in the Control Panel. These might be enclyclopedias (although most use QuickTime), accounting courses, or other online courses of various types.

I've also seen information that it installs with AOL 9.

Access Google and type: "Learn2 player". You'll get lots of possible options for programs that may have installed it. Learn2.com has it's own site.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grf .. I tried..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 9, 2005 2:59 PM PDT

Right after posting I did go to Google. I saw at one forum where they alluded to the fact that it installs with AOL. It was not much more than a blanket statement, at that site. When I got the computer, it came with the offer of AOL and Earthlink for 6m free. I didn't use either. Got rid of as much as I could, that had anything to do with either of them.

To err on the side of prudence/safety, I will try your original suggestion, and perhaps go back to Google again, and see where I missed the programs you speak of. (I'm a bit confused with Macromedia Shockwave..Flash Player.. and might as well throw in Java, since I saw them all mentioned in a recent post. Am I to understand, this is in the same arena, but performs, yet another function?) Don't even try to answer that! I'll do as you had instructed and deal with that at a different time.

Thanks again..
Carol

Collapse -
Grif.. Just found QuickTime but..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 9, 2005 3:38 PM PDT

I didn't even think QuickTime was installed, and yet, as you said, the icon is in the CP. Could it be something that runs in the background. And can I presume, if I were to try to run it, I would find out, in short order, if it is "up and running" already. Wouldn't that allow me to eliminate QuickTime as the culprit? Need I say, I am a state of confusion?

When I see Learn2 Player (uninstall) in Add/Remove, it leads me to believe it is installed already. I'm big on "Don't fix what's not broken"... and I'll add to that.. "Especially when you don't know what you're doing". Maybe, I should leave well enough alone?

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Carol, It's Not Really Doing Any Harm...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2005 4:55 AM PDT

If Learn2 is already in the "Add/Remove Programs" section, then YES, it's already installed. It's up to you whether you uninstall it or not..Only you can determine whether you will use it...I have never had the need for it, but I'm not you..

Regarding QuickTime, I use it frequently as there are a number of websites that use the QuickTime player to play their audio, video, or tutorials. Still, even that's not a requirement..Usually, other media players will do the same...In my case, I have this one installed and use it a lot. But once again, it's your choice.

Both QuickTime and the Learn2 player will automatically open if you ever need them..Various sites require certain media players and certain file types are already associated with those particular media players as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
It's alot clearer now..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 10, 2005 8:22 AM PDT

Grif..
I hadn't expected you to get to those issues, but you have cleared up alot.. and also explained it in a way, I now understand. Another lesson learned..thanks to you!

..and yes.. it helped.. as always,
Carol

Collapse -
How do I check which program is using it?
by michhala / April 9, 2005 2:29 PM PDT
Collapse -
ADDENDUM to previous post to Grif
by michhala / April 9, 2005 3:35 PM PDT

Forgot to add that I cannot find the plugin on RealPlayer, MusicMatch, Windows Media Player or Quicktime. I do not have Winamp installed.

Miki

Collapse -
I sent an E-mail to the source
by michhala / April 9, 2005 3:42 PM PDT

I contacted Learn2 Player tech support and asked how the program got on my computer and if it was connected with another program, Etc.

Will post reply here if and when I receive it.

Miki

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Message's crossing .. TIA for posting w/ info if & when
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 9, 2005 3:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Reply to my E-mail sent yesterday to Learn2
by michhala / April 11, 2005 7:57 AM PDT

Miki,

Thank you for your e-mail. The player is only needed to run our training courseware. If you do not have any of our online training, you can delete it without any problems. There should not be any other applications that use it.

To uninstall the player:
1) Click the "Start" button in the lower left hand corner of you screen
2) Click "Control Panel"
3) Click "Add/Remove Program"
4) Find Learn.com and click the "Add/Remove" button
5) Click the "Yes" button to remove and the "Yes" button to restart

Please contact me again if you need any further assistance.

Thank you,

Cathy
Learn.com Customer Support
Visit us at www.learn2.com
Support Site: http://support.learn.com/help
E-mail: help@learn.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Miki !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 11, 2005 8:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Most Welcome, Grif !
by michhala / April 11, 2005 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Thanks Miki !
Collapse -
Are you saying..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 9, 2005 3:50 PM PDT

Miki..

Are you saying you can't find it because you looked and they are not there? Or that you don't know how to find them? I presume it is the former. And with that assumption, since I have all of the 4 you mentioned, how do I find the plugin's.. w/o running the programs?

I won't even question the "Winamp" bit.. and where to find it.. but for some reason, I thought I had seen it somewhere. Maybe you could get back to me before Grif get's back to us, since you know a great deal more than I do. (I'd say, it's the blind leading the blind..but.. you can see a whole lot better than I!!)

Thanks..
Carol

Collapse -
Are you saying.....
by michhala / April 9, 2005 5:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you saying..

Hi Carol -- This is how I checked out the plugins. It may also be done on the player interface. Was not as successful with Windows Media Player.

1. R click on My Computer Icon.
2. In the dropdown menu, L click Explore.
3. In Explore L click Local Disk C:
4. L click Program Files
5. L click each of your players
6. Within each player file you will see a folder for plugins. L click each plugin folder.

Re WinAmp -- it probably looks familiar to you because it is also listed in Programs with its installer, and you have the option to install. It can also be deleted.

Miki

Collapse -
Carol -- Are you saying.....ADDENDUM again :)
by michhala / April 9, 2005 5:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Are you saying.....

Hi Carol -- I am saying I looked and could not find the plugin in the players on my system.

Miki Happy

Collapse -
Found plugin's, but...
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 10, 2005 3:16 AM PDT

I may have alluded to this last night. I "explored" all the folders w/ plugin's, but found no identifying features/names. I checked properties in all, expecting to find some hint, but came up empty. Did I miss something? (Was hoping to find that sign I referred to.. something comparable to "Learn2 Player Here.. you may uninstall" Silly ) The problem may be, I don't know what I am looking for, once I get there.

Thanks for your help. I may have to put this on the back burner.. if I can!

Carol

Collapse -
Found plugins but....
by michhala / April 10, 2005 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Found plugin's, but...

Carol -- I would think the plugin would say StRunner. Search brings up StRunner, which is in the Learn2 program folder, but it does not bring up Learn2 -- I have Search set to look in all folders. That said, showing Learn2 Player in Add/Remove (Uninstall Only) means it has to be somewhere in some shape or form. Maybe it is part of Shockwave Flash.

There is more information at this site.

http://www.tutorials.com/cust_supt/cc_cusrv_n.asp

I hit the "Install plugin/player" option and received following message: "Before you can begin, a small multimedia player will be installed for you. This is necessary only this one time - it won't have to be installed again." This does not sound as if it is a plugin that is part of another player.

It is not one of my active-X either.

As I understand it, Learn2 Player is used to run Tutorials and there are many listed on their site. If it is deleted, it is available to reinstall if needed.

If I don't receive a reply from E-mail I sent to Learn2, I will call their toll-free number.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki & Carol, It's A Browser Plugin...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 10, 2005 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you saying.....

Learn2 isn't a plugin for any of the media players that Miki mentioned. Instead, it associates itself with your browser, usually Internet Explorer, so when watching the various tutorials you've seen, it allows the browser to play the video.

Although I don't have the Learn2 program installed, I would check for an ActiveX control which is probably in the "C\Windows\Downloaded Program Files" folder. Still, if you decide to uninstall Learn2, AND if you have the ability to uninstall it from the "Add/Remove Programs" section, I would uninstall it from "Add/Remove Programs".

If it's not in "Add/Remove Programs" and you find the ActiveX control, you should be able simply delete the ActiveX.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Miki & Carol, It's A Browser Plugin...
by michhala / April 10, 2005 8:46 AM PDT

Duh.......LOL one of your posts confused me into thinking it was a plugin for one of the four media players.

Browser plugins are not usually listed in Add/Remove are they?..........

Re ActiveX Controls -- I have a very recent MS Office Template and Media Control; Office Update Installation engine; WUWebControlClass; and Shockwave Flash Object.

I will most likely remove Learn2 Player from Add/Remove.

I know this is not important in the grand scheme of computering -- but I have a thing about programs being installed that I do not need or choose.......it's a control issue with me in an area of which we have very little....methinks Happy

Miki

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.