Samsung forum

General discussion

LCD TVs and glare

by wantinginfoguy / June 7, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

I had always regarded Samsungs LCDs as among the best out there, but now I am worried at the time when I am finally considering buying one. I have read that your new LCDs have improved black levels, but at the expense of high glare/reflection. I am certainly confused by this choice, since glare/reflection is a much worse distraction than slightly worse black level. If people want a better black level at the expense of more reflection, why not just let them choose a plasma?

Will Samsung be offering matte LCDs anytime soon?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD TVs and glare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD TVs and glare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good Question!
by Mike Plotnick / June 8, 2008 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: LCD TVs and glare

I'm getting dangerously close to purchasing my first-ever LCD TV (Samsung LN46A650), but the one thing that I'm concerned about is the glare issue (since it will be in a fairly bright room, next to a wall of windows.

I'm willing to wait, if there's a matte screen model with the touch-of-color frame expected.

What say you, Mr. Samsung???

Collapse -
Yes, you really should do a matte-screened 120Hz TV...
by 8IronBob / June 9, 2008 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Question!

I'd like to think that Samsung can easily provide that same picture quality and feature set without all that annoying gloss that goes along with it. For what I'm thinking, if Samsung could do that with the old LN-T4669, they should be able to do a 6 or 7 Series television with a matte screen just as easily, imo. It would probably be a real good alternative to the A650/750 for those who don't want a "combo mirror/television." This is the thing that usually defeats the purpose of owning an LCD, from what I understand.

Collapse -
super clear panel
by Mr__S / August 17, 2008 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD TVs and glare

waitinginfoguy -

Thanks for your kind words regarding Samsung.

The SuperClear Panel (the panel referenced in the ?gloss? comments) actually does a few things that matte finish LCD?s don't. Before I get into it, I will concur ? it?s not for everybody. But there are some definite benefits that outweigh some of the ?scare? that people have about the panels.

First of all, the SuperClear Panel reflects the ambient light instead of allowing that light to saturate the panel. If you go to your local store and turn off the 6-Series, and turn off the next closest matte-finish panel and compare them side to side in the store, you?ll see that the 6-Series remains black, while the matte-finish panel produces more of a dull grey picture. When that matte-finish television produces the picture, it has to compete with the ambient light to get the full color spectrum. With the SuperClear Panel, the light in the room simply doesn?t affect the picture. When the television is on, the picture over-rides most of the ?glare?. Most people don?t notice the SuperClear Panel until someone points it out to them.

The other result is that with the SuperClear Panel, it?s able to produce better whites due to a component built-in the panel itself. The result is that you can reach 92% of the color gamut and produce a contrast-ratio that before was unheard of in LCD panels only a year prior (not including high end LED LCDs). The SuperClear Panel provides the ability to reach that color gamut and contrast ratio.

But if you live in a place where there is a lot of ambient light and you can?t control it, you might be better off with a matte-finish panel. That?s where the 5-Series comes in. While you?ll lose some of the contrast ratio, you?ll still have a great television.

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
UN55B7000 - SuperClear panel? Specs say TV is anti-glare.
by shopping4samsung / January 11, 2010 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: super clear panel

I am very close to purchasing the UN55B7000 model (55" LCD with edge LED), it seems like clearly the best LED LCD on the market and the market leader (except the 8500 with I heard was discontinued due to copyright/patent issues).

However, the room I am putting it in is sun drenched to say the least - it has 2 skylights and the back wall directly opposite the TV is basically a set of ceiling-to-floor glass windows and doors - we do have some shades but they only block a little of the the afternoon when I am watching football the sun hits the TV directly.

So...I need to figure out if the screen on this TV is a deal breaker...I really would like to buy this model if I can get past this one issue. I have seen some reviews say the screen is very reflective, has a glossy coating, etc. But I have also heard others say this is not a big issue due to how bright the picture is.

My big question is that the specs on this TV says it the screen is "anti-glare". Does this model truly have an anti-glare screen and if so, is it different than the SuperClear panel described above? If it is anti-glare, what does this mean and how effective is it?

Very interested in hearing Mr. Samsung's answer as well as others' personal experience with the UNxxByyyy series. I really cannot get a good sense in a store,it is way too dark to be a meaningful comparison. Does anyone else have this TV in an extremely sunny room?

If this is a significant issue,is there another Samsung LCD that others would recommend instead that would have a matte screen or do all Samsung LCDs have the glossy screen? I don't think plasma is an option given the amount of sunlight in the room.

Finally, if Samsung is not an option, what do folks think would be the best options in terms of other large LCDs/LEDs? Is a matte (non-LED) LCD better than a glossy LED LCD in a really sunny room? Or is there a comparable LED LCD that also has a matte screen?

Thanks...everyone's input would be very much appreciated.

Collapse -
My Conclusion
by shopping4samsung / January 23, 2010 12:19 PM PST

I did end up buying this TV and think it was the right decision for me. The picture on the TV is phenomenal in general. As for the glare issue, I watched it today in the afternoon with the sun coming full blast through my windows and skylights. There is definitely a glare/reflection, but the screen itself is bright enough that it was not a big deal to me. You can definitely see it, but if you don't focus on it, you don't notice it that much. I don't know how much better it would be on other may bother others as it definitely makes the picture "not perfect", but it was still very watchable for me.

Collapse -
Now in 2012 still no Samsung 7 or 8 with matte screen
by Console77 / May 20, 2012 6:42 AM PDT
In reply to: super clear panel

The above answer is unfortunately the common plasma-answer - the subject is highly subjective of cause, but still I personally prefer a steady and clear picture without annoying reflections, which do have significant impact on the picture quality. Whats the point of having a minimal improvement in picture quality if you cant see half the picture because of reflections - how can reflections add to picture quality ?

Now we are in 2012, and look at getting a 40UE7020, but my concern is the reflections. We have an 4 year old 32" Philips with true matte screen, which I enjoy every day thinking of the terrible plasma ( in terms of reflections ) we had before.

Trying to Google "matte screen", I get a Samsung which looks fine, but without Skype, camera and web browser. So what to do ? Wait another year ? In the notebook market it seems like manufacturers finally are getting the point, beginning to make notebooks with matte screen again. Now we wait for the LCD TV manufacturers to also have common sense and go back to true matte screen - at least have a mid-range ( 7 ) series with true matte screen.

Before I leave, still undecided, the 7 and 8 series of Samsung LCD TVs are absolutely perfect and stunning in design - except for the new 8000 stand, how do you turn the TV ? Also the on-lamp is missing on the camera.

Optimal TV would be a 2012 Samsung 7 or 8 series in 21:9 - do Samsung have any plans of a 50" 21:9 LCD TV ?

Collapse -
New Products
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 21, 2012 7:52 AM PDT

I can not speculate on possible future products. Our apologies.

--HD Tech

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.