Sony

General discussion

LCD TV interference with satellite IR remote

by BrienCharles / September 28, 2009 5:25 AM PDT

Just bought a new 46' Sony LCD TV. Now I can't control the receiver due to IR interference. I have since discovered that this seems to be a common issue with LCD TV with the back lighting generating considerable IR (as verified with my Sony video camera). Turn the TV off, and the remote works fine. Turn TV on, and it takes over an hour for the TV's IR to die down enough for the remote to work. One would think that these two interdependent systems could work and play well together. Solutions anyone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD TV interference with satellite IR remote
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD TV interference with satellite IR remote
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE LCD Interference
by belmont31 / October 6, 2009 7:10 PM PDT

I had the same problem with a Philips 32 inch tv. The solution I have used after scanning through many blogs and forums, is to cut a small piece of plain white paper and apply over the IR sensor on the sat box. This seems to block the stray IR from the TV whilst allowing the stronger, more direct IR from the sat remote through. It also seems that the bigger the TV, the more IR you get from it, so if a single piece of paper won't work, try adding a second or even third layer of paper over the sensor.

Collapse -
Yes, this works!
by jkazz53 / December 14, 2011 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: RE LCD Interference

I found this blog on Dec. 14, 2011, and YES IT WORKS!! Thanks so much!!

Collapse -
Be sure to research this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

This area and problem is well discussed. I can't say that anyone has a great solution but I know that here a fresh set of alkalines in the remote cured it. HOWEVER some get irate over this issue and demand a fix. Sorry, I'm just sharing what I did.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony Bravia IR LCD interference issue Dish Network receiver
by bukaty / October 19, 2009 8:55 AM PDT

My issue is that I ordered Dish Network HD service and they came out two weeks ago and installed a VIP-222k receiver. I have a Sony KDL46V4100 LCD tv. About 15 minutes after the installer left I tried to use the remote and it wouldn't change channels, bring up the guide or do anything else - except control the Sony TV. Since then Dish has supplied me with no less that 3 sets of remotes and replaced the receiver once which I installed myself last Monday night. I did the setup in IR mode which took 40 minutes or so. I declared success when after a few minutes of watching a tv program the remote simply stopped controlling the Dish receiver again. Right back where I started. During the course of troubleshooting I noticed that if i turn the TV off and select a button on the Dish remote, then turn the tv back on, it is working.

Through the course of much troubleshooting and consternation trying to come up with a solution, I think I discovered a fix.

I broke apart an old floppy disk and cut out a small piece of the media film and attached it to the Dish receiver window using small dabs of rubber cement at each corner. I now have consistent and full control of the satellite receiver in IR mode.

Hope this helps someone out there cure this problem.

Collapse -
Filters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2009 11:30 PM PDT

Those help too. Thanks for sharing!

Collapse -
dish remote not working with sony lcd
by jchelstowski / November 28, 2009 1:32 AM PST

I had the exact same problem and solved it by going into the sony menu for general setup. there is a option for a light sensor which comes "on" as a default. the light sensor optimizes brightness according to the ambient light which is why every now and then the remote worked (like when the dish installer was there). As soon as I turned off that feature, the picture became much brighter and the remote problem completely went away. hope that helps

in my case - sony kdl40vl160 with dish vip722 dvr

Collapse -
dish remote not working with sony bravia tv
by grshpp / May 29, 2010 8:20 AM PDT

I recently bought a 40" Sony Bravia and shortly after, my dish IR remote would not work. Dish sent me 2 remotes and had no idea what the problem was. Took the suggestion to turn off light sensor on tv and it worked. In the settings menu you will find a tab for "Picture". Under picture you will see a title for "Ambient Sensor". Turn this feature "Off" and you should notice your tv get a little brighter. You will also find that your remote will now work controlling your tv and the dish satellite receiver. So far this has worked. I would guess that all lcd tvs have a feature along these lines that cause this interference. Don't bother calling Dish Network because all they know how to do is send you remotes and act like it is not their problem.

Collapse -
SO THANKFUL for the ambient sensor advice
by jeanetteharris / November 18, 2010 11:46 AM PST

You have no idea how thankful I am for the ambient sensor advice! I was about to go nuts... Got new TV, a Toshiba at first, got a new remote, didn't get it to work... returned the Toshiba TV to get a Sony and see if that works... no luck... until I finally came across this post with the ambient sensor.. Turned it off and it works just fine... FOR NOW... I hope it stays this way... this made my day. Thank you!

Collapse -
Solution
by clay58 / October 27, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

The solution is so very simple if turning off the Ambient Sensor does not work and it does not on some TVs. Simply cut a piece of paper about 1" square and tape it over the eye of your Dish receiver. The remote will work perfectly with no interference from the TV.

Collapse -
solution
by wkmtca / December 26, 2012 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: Solution

ok..where is the 'eye' of the dish receiver?

Collapse -
Romote not working...
by Forgetju / October 29, 2011 11:24 AM PDT

Just installed a new Sony tv, and all of a sudden the remote didnt work. I went to the Dish website, did their troubleshooting, then I came here and found the solution- Sure enough it was the light sensor. Turned it off in the setting menu of the tv, and then the remote worked like a charm. Thanks for posting!

Collapse -
Light sensor
by RustyWiggles / February 15, 2013 9:49 AM PST

I had the remote issues and really gave Dish a hard time for not being able to fix it but what I wanted to say here is that I didn't have an ambient light sensor but I did have an energy saving option that I shut off and now my remote works great.

Collapse -
Sony Bravia LCD TV I.R. Remote Interferrence@DishNetwork H.D
by twyterry / January 8, 2010 11:45 AM PST

Hi: Butaky's idea using floppy disk film over I.R. window was a life-safer for me with my 46" Samsung 850 LCD. I cut to size (1/8" wider)of VIP211K I.R. window and applied (very carefully) 1/32" of adhesive to side edges and applied film (barely noticeable against black face of receiver) over I.R. window. Works great! Before fix I was unable to control HD receiver with remote when TV was on, now have full functionality of remote at all times. Thanks again Butaky. TW

Collapse -
LCD IR washout problem
by bukaty / January 10, 2010 5:17 AM PST

twyterry: Great news! It is very gratifying to hear that my fix worked as good for you as it did for me and my Sony Bravia 46" LCD.

My 1/4" x 1" piece of floppy media is still glued to the IR window of my VIP222k Dish receiver and all my remotes work flawlessly - including my Logitech 890 and all six of the remotes Dish Network sent here!

Collapse -
Great suggestion by Bukaky for remote issue with sony
by srgmnana / January 3, 2013 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: LCD IR washout problem

Great idea! it worked.. covered sensor with paper and it just worked like magic. The only baffling thing is my remote worked fine for 2 years and just stopped as soon as the extended warranty ended!

Collapse -
solution
by lebphantom / April 8, 2010 8:11 AM PDT

I have been an Dealer for Dish for 7 years and I do alot of custom audio/video installations, and to solve this problem, you'd have to get a IR to UHF remote control kit, it's sold by Dish, you may be able to get a free one from Dish, this setup will completely bypass the IR interference and you'll get a better ranging remote control.

Collapse -
remote control kit
by jeanetteharris / November 18, 2010 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: solution

Dish Network told me this kit is not available for the receiver I have, only for older models...

Collapse -
Remote Antenna - Bunny Ear it!
by wm22 / October 10, 2011 8:47 AM PDT

Thank you all for the help...because of this thread I was able to solve my problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.