TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

LCD TV and Non-Magnetically Sheilded Speakers

by charlie7171 / March 6, 2008 11:30 PM PST

I've heard that Plasma and LCD telivisions are not affected by non-magnetically shielded speakers. If this is true, no problem. If not, how far away from the TV should the speakers be placed so they do not affect the electronics of the telivison?

Also, what is a good rule of thumb for sub size as it relates to room volume? Looking for good, better, best advice.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD TV and Non-Magnetically Sheilded Speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD TV and Non-Magnetically Sheilded Speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
rare to have issues
by batman823 / March 7, 2008 1:21 AM PST

Any electronic device can be affected by Electro-Magnetic Interference(EMI)

In short, no. LCD TVs and Plasma TVs will not be affected by any speaker without magnetic shields. The rear projection TVs won't have any issues either.

With home equipment, you will almost never see any problem with speakers causing interference.
The only time I've seen it was with some family. They had a large sound system with the biggest speakers next to the TV. They used "rabbit ears" for free broadcast. This had noticeable problems with TV signal only when the volume was high.

All our cables have shielding under the rubber case and are not affected by small magnetic fields from speakers.

The screen itself will not be affected. Only the old glass tube style had sensitivity to magnets because they actually used electron ray guns to light up the front of the tube.
The magnet would pull the electrons and distort the picture before it would hit the screen. They could also permanently distort the receptors on the front. But that's only with the old tube style.

Collapse -
larger sub size is always better
by jostenmeat / March 7, 2008 1:26 AM PST

but a good idea is to call some sub companies and see what they recommend. Hey, the advice is free. one instance of a sub company, HSU, sorta has a chart for this stuff:

look at the right, for volume ratings, and if you search their site, you know what they mean.

what are the dimensions and volume of your room?

just how many threads do you plan on starting with varying topics of audio? Silly

Collapse -
by charlie7171 / March 7, 2008 3:03 AM PST

You got me...well done! Actually, I was asking (this time) for a freind since he dosen't have access to a computer at the moment. You probably won't hear from me for awhile since I'll be busy hooking up my new HT system in the next few day's. Thanks for all of your (and you other's out there)insight and help though!!

It been fun getting back into the audio game again!!

Collapse -
Magnetic Speakers
by mwooge / March 7, 2008 11:45 AM PST

> how far away from the TV should the speakers be
> placed so they do not affect the electronics of the telivison?

Asia should be far enough.

The magnets in a speaker won't affect your TV, short of throwing them at it. It might affect a CRT monitor if you push one against the screen, though a quick test just now showed no effect.

Don't worry about the magnets in your speakers. If it were a problem, everyone would know and you wouldn't have to post a message here.

Collapse -
by charlie7171 / March 7, 2008 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Magnetic Speakers

I'm not worried wooge.

Pioneer Elite VSX91TXH
B&W 683 Mains
B&W 685 Center
B&W 686 Surrounds
SVS PB10 Sub

Collapse -
by froasier / March 20, 2008 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Magnetic Speakers

You must have some weak magnets... having a medium to large speaker within one foot or less of a CRT monitor/TV causes obvious distortion in the image. I've done it, numerous times. LCDs should be fine though.

My question is, should I worry about putting my hard drive too close to unshielded speakers??

Collapse -
HD's next to unshielded speakers
by terster / February 15, 2011 12:49 PM PST
In reply to: umm

This reply is 23 years late... lol.... but i just found this post looking for LCD tv's next to large unshielded speakers. I'm glad there are no issues.

With regard to the hard drive... keep it and all PC equipment/laptops away from magnets.

A large speaker could mess with your hard drive to the point where it crashes.

I hope this helps, late or not.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.