Cameras

General discussion

LCD Screen Protectors

by Baper / December 16, 2006 12:00 AM PST

Has anyone used a screen protector on your camera's LCD screen and, if so, is there a particular brand that is best to buy? Will appreciate your advice.

Baper

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD Screen Protectors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD Screen Protectors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2006 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: LCD Screen Protectors
Collapse -
Thanks for the link, Bob
by Baper / December 16, 2006 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

I'll pick some up and trim to fit.

Baper

Collapse -
clear shippign tape
by BowerR64 / December 19, 2006 4:02 AM PST

If the LCD is the type that has no plastic shield over it i dont use anything the 4 swivel screen cameras i have i dont put anything on.

The fixed screen cameras i have are behind a clear plastic molded into the case i put clear shipping tape over the scren then i cut around it really carefully. It usualy has some bubbles in it but it dont bother me because i know i can pull it off and change it.

I have it on my FF3 radio shack camera, my A70, A540, A700 and my nikon S2. I just keep the LCD swiveled into the camera on my 2 canon S2s, my S3 and my A610. Thats one thing i love about swivel, if you scratch or break a swivel you are just a lazy SOB Grin

Collapse -
LCD sreen care
by hjfok / December 19, 2006 4:27 PM PST
In reply to: clear shippign tape

Get rid of those ugly bubbles!
Use the GGI digital screen care kit, just $10 (you can get it at B and H photo and video, or other online stores). You get several transparent films that has marked screen sizes for you to cut. Make sure you use the provided squeegee to apply the film on the LCD screen. It's easy to use, and there are no bubbles as long as you use the squeegee. There is no glue and it stays on the screen well, but also easy to remove.

Collapse -
The squeegee? lol
by BowerR64 / December 19, 2006 5:35 PM PST
In reply to: LCD sreen care

My brother paid $10. for his samsung slider phone and he went threw 2 sets (6 total) and he could never get it perfect.

Seems like a waste of money IMO. The one he got on good started to peel on the corners from his pocket and he wound up removing it.

How much is a roll of clear packing tape? i used more then i needed and i held the extra with my fingers so the center where the LCD is stays clean. The protective film my brother got was just large enough he had to hold the clean side. This could be why the edges peel?

Collapse -
LCD screen protector
by hjfok / December 20, 2006 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: The squeegee? lol

This is for camera use, and of course will not do well if the camera is being abused like a cell phone. It works well with my DSLR and I usually keep the camera in my padded camera bag. The transparent film is to protect the screen from the grease/prints of the fingers or face, and perhaps light scratches. And it will allow you to draw lines on the screen for composition/framing if the camera does not have grid lines. If you keep your camera in your pocket or purse with other things banging or scratching it, then you will need something more sturdy. There is LCD hoods that covers the screen when not in use, and provides shade from direct sunlight when using the camera outdoor. Of course if bubbles and glue don't bother you, and if you don't care about the appearance, then by all means save the money and use the tape.

Collapse -
Using tape
by vweavers / June 23, 2010 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: The squeegee? lol

Ok. Bottom line here on using tape. Don't even think about it. Packing tape, in particular, is not UV resistant. This means that it will break down, and yellow with exposure to UV rays. The glue on the tape needs a solvent (acetone, mineral spirits) in order to remove it. If your screen, or the area around the screen is any form of plastic- well, you're going to have an ugly situation. It may look ok for a while, but eventually, you're going to be very, very sorry.

Collapse -
hj, thanks for the screen care info
by Baper / December 19, 2006 8:20 PM PST
In reply to: LCD sreen care

I'm going to check out that kit.

Baper

Collapse -
WAIT COME BACK!
by BowerR64 / December 20, 2006 12:11 AM PST

Come back and tell us how it goes.

Collapse -
Hi Bower, I'm back!
by Baper / December 20, 2006 2:02 AM PST
In reply to: WAIT COME BACK!

I want to thank you too for responding to my LCD screen protector question. I do appreciate it, but gosh, it sends shudders through my whole body and I get weak in the knees just thinking about putting clear shipping tape on my LCD screen. But we all have our different notions and if it works for you, that's great. Your posts have brightened my day. I can't help but chuckle thinking of the shipping tape, the bubbles and glue, your brother-in-laws plight with his cell phone. It all sounds funnier that "Larry the cable guy." Honest, no offense intended. Thanks for your suggestions.

Collapse -
you misread somthing
by BowerR64 / December 20, 2006 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Bower, I'm back!

My brother got the protecter kit and he fought with the first set and either couldnt get it aligned because it was cut so perfect or he couldnt get the bubbles out. IMO all it is is a thicker version of the shipping tape. Its just as sticky and it applies the same way. This only difference is its thicker and it cost $10.

After he went threw the 3 they sent him (3 because they know they are a pain to put on) he complained and they sent him 3 more (3 is 1 kit) after fighting those he gave up and after a few days the one he decided was good enough pulled up on the sides and he would up ripping it off anyway.

Its your money, but after ive seen what they are im not spending the money.

It sounds worse then you think, i put them on my A700, A70, and my A540 those all have a thick plastic cover over the LCD its like a clear window built into the case. You can tap on this plastic window its pretty thick and protective but it still gets scratched over time and gets hazzy. The shipping tape just protects the window and is replaceable.

Seriously when you get it, and you get it on come back and let us know how it worked for you and what you think about the whole process

Collapse -
LCD screen protection
by hjfok / December 20, 2006 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: you misread somthing

I hate to drag this out, but I can't help it. Sorry to say it, but the image of a person wearing a pair of broken glasses with a tape holding it together keeps coming to my mind. It works for some people. But after spending thousands on my camera equipment, the last thing I need is a shipping tape with bubbles over my LCD screen. Sorry, I just have to get it off my chest.
Seriously, thank you for sharing your economical solution. I do use the LCD screen protector on my DSLR (I'm actually giving you a user opinion, and I don't sell any camera equipment), and it has been working well. It is hardly noticeable. It sounds funny, but the tiny squeegee in the kit helps to put this film over the screen without bubbles. The first time I tried it without the squeegee, there were a lot of bubbles. So I took it off (easy to peel without any glue left on the LCD), and used the tiny squeezee to spread it over the screen. The result is great, no bubbles at all. And I don't need to keep practicing to get it right, just one try and it works. I have it on my camera for 2 months now, and have taken it to many places and taken hundreds of pictures. And it stays on well without problem. But like I said, I take care of my camera and keep it in a padded camera bag when not in use. Don't expect miracle with a $10 product. The LCD hood (like Hoodman) will be better if you tend to have rugged use, but you need to attach the hood to the LCD screen (not so easy to remove it), and is a bit bulky.

Collapse -
Well sure
by BowerR64 / December 20, 2006 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: LCD screen protection

You sound just like the guy who sells the screen protectors you have a link too? lol

I guess if you have $2k to spend on a camera the $10. screen thing is nothing. The problem isnt really air, its dust AND air. The screens on my cameras have static or somthing and dust just seems to cling to them.

I dont really care how it sounds or if you agree with it or not, its works on my stuff and i dont mind a few bubbles im just trying to keep it in a decent condition for the next guy. Ive peeled one off before on my A700 it came off easier then i thought it would.

Im just giving some other options is all.

Ive read on the DPchallenge forums of guys using tape on their sensors for dust so how is using tap on an LCD so awful?

Collapse -
Sensor cleaning
by hjfok / December 20, 2006 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: Well sure

You're right. Those guys using tape on their sensors are crazy. I usually have the professional camera store clean my camera's sensor at least once a year. I don't recommend anyone to clean his/her own camera's sensor. There is the Giottos Rocket Air Blower which is good for removing dust from lens and filters, and can be used with care to remove dust particles around the sensor. Don't touch or use compressed air to clean the sensor.

Collapse -
Invisible Shield by Shield Zone
by jkatsuma / December 22, 2006 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: LCD Screen Protectors

I've used the invisibleShield by Shield Zone for my Motorola Q. It's been great and has kept the phone looking like new. I haven't had to worry about the corners of the plastic film peeling off and have used it for about 6 months now. The application of the film is very easy and I didn't have to worry about bubbling.

You can check it out at http://www.shieldzone.com

Be sure to check out the video demos.

Collapse -
cool links
by BowerR64 / December 22, 2006 3:17 AM PST

lol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.