Samsung forum

General discussion

LCD Picture Problem - DVD DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A "MOVIE"

by Gail.Piazza / January 30, 2009 3:15 AM PST

Hello - I just bought a Samsung LCD 52a850. When I play an older, non-blu ray DVD (I do not have a Blu-Ray yet)using my older DVD player, the picture does not look like it's a movie - it looks strange - more like 3-D. Is this normal, or can I correct it by changing settings to give the picture a more "movie-like" picture? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD Picture Problem - DVD DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A "MOVIE"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD Picture Problem - DVD DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A "MOVIE"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DVD
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2009 10:11 AM PST

Gail.Piazza,

When you say the picture looks like it's 3-D, does that mean the picture seems seperated and distorted? If so, that's likely because DVD is a standard definition technology being sourced into a high-definition panel. The television does upconvert the picture a little, but there's only so much that the processor can do.

If you have a collection of DVDs, you might want to consider an upconverting DVD player, which will output the content from the upconverting DVD player at 720p or 1080i resolution rather than the older DVD resolution of 480i and 480p.

The television can do a better job upconverting a higher definition picture coming from an upconverting DVD player than it can trying to process a regular DVD player's signal.

I hope this helps, and if I can clarify, please let me know.

--HDTech

Collapse -
DVD doesn't look like a movie
by tiraggi / January 30, 2009 11:23 PM PST

Hi. You might want to check the auto motion setting. I have mine set on low and my kids are bugging me that it looks like a "Soap Opera" instead of a movie. Try turning the setting to off. see if that makes a difference. Kids- what do they know!

Collapse -
Fixed the problem! Thanks.
by Gail.Piazza / February 1, 2009 4:09 AM PST

My Samsung 52a850 DVD picture did have a "soap opera effect". I just turned off the auto motion plus as suggested - and now the picture looks like a "normal" movie picture. Thanks.

Collapse -
this helped
by btb258 / August 11, 2010 7:36 AM PDT

turned off the automotion plus on the samsung tv AND we changed the Panasonic bluray we went under tv/device connection and selected hdmi connection and turned on the 24p. Don't know what 24p is but it seemed to work well

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.