TVs & Home Theaters forum

LCD or LED TV which one is best for home use?

by aisha_khullar / May 31, 2011 2:34 PM PDT

Dear all,

Here I need suggestions for best LCD or LED TV for my sweet room.

Wall size height and length '10 x 15'.

Budget is not a barrier for me, just looking for a best option.

Furthermore, I am not looking a high pitch speaker in tv,
as I am going to attach the additional speakers.

Friends, I will be waiting for your options.

So kind of you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD or LED TV which one is best for home use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD or LED TV which one is best for home use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / May 31, 2011 3:41 PM PDT

That's like asking what's better, blue or red. So, based on the answer to that question, get a Plasma. No stuttering on motion, no image or pixel lag and no horrible SoE ( Soap Opera Effect) that newer 240hz LED and LCDs have. It's the best for watching movies too.

Collapse -
by aisha_khullar / May 31, 2011 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmm...

May i know what's ( Soap Opera Effect)?

Collapse -
by 1shahid_kapoor / May 31, 2011 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Okssssssss!

I've also searched about "Soap Opera Effect", but hard to find the relevant information.

Well if someone knows about share we would love to hear that...!!

Collapse -
Soap Opera Effect
by PistonCupChampion / May 31, 2011 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Ummmm!!!

If I had to guess, I think SOP is another term for blooming.

Collapse -
Let's look here
by Pepe7 / June 1, 2011 12:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
by 1shahid_kapoor / June 2, 2011 2:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's look here

The link you have pasted is good enough but not appropriate for SOE,
that's why I won't linked it with with my post...

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / June 1, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

For many years, TVs were 60Hz, which means the image refreshes 60 times per second. If you took a photo of a 60Hz TV with a camera that had a shutter speed set to 1/60 of a second or faster, you would see a black bar across the TV image. The camera in this case is catching the image refresh mid-stream. During fast motion during a TV show, 60Hz would cause a lag of the image because the action is catching the refresh mid-stream too. Then came 120hz and now 240Hz TVs that artificLly add extra duplicate video frames. These duplicate frames eliminate the lag during fast motion, but in the case of 240Hz TVs, they make the image look like everything was shot on a video camera. Not too bad for stuff shot on video, but to me, horrible on film based sources like feature movies. I do not want Star Wars looking like it was shot on video. I own two 120Hz LCDs and two Plasmas. The 120Hz TVs have acceptable images and actually look quite stunning on film sources. I spend a lot of time watching a 240Hz LED which has the horrible SOE. The Plasma has the best image for film content. One other issue with LCD and LED sets is the pixel refresh rate, stated in Milliseconds. This is the time it takes an individual pixel to changes from Gogol white to black, and most LCD and LEDs are typically rated at 5ms. Because Plasma TVs have a different way of image display, they have pixel refresh rates that are basically 1ms. Slow pixel refresh rates give another bad effect where you have pixel lag. If you look close at some LCD/LED TVs, you will see pixel blurring, which is the pixels trying to refresh but the image is changing before the pixel can refresh. Plasma sets do not have this. In the past, Plasmas got a bad rate because of image burn-in, but today's Plasmas do not have this. They also have what is called Pixel Orbiter, that moves all of the Pixels automatically every so often so no burn-in happens. The current drawback of Plasmas is that they aren't as flat as LED.

Collapse -
Star Wars update
by Dan Filice / June 1, 2011 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: SOE

Even though the latest Star War movies were shot on video, they weren't shot on cheap home video cameras that have a low-end look about them. The video cameras used on Star Wars were not $150 cameras intended for hoe use. Star Wars did not have the dreaded SOE.

Collapse -
Hi i'm new here but
by jneliahu / June 1, 2011 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Star Wars update
Collapse -
LCD or LED TV which one is best for home use?
by 1shahid_kapoor / June 2, 2011 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: SOE

Well, thanks for such a nice explanation but as you reconmending for plasma tv to "aisha_khullar",
so may i know what is the major difference between plasma and led tvs????

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / June 2, 2011 3:38 PM PDT

An LCD is an elaborate, electrically controlled color filter. The light comes from either a florescent tube or a bank of LEDs. A plasma TV set generates light much like your old CRT Television; a phosphor is activated and emits photons of a specific color. The advantage of an LCD is that they use much less power than a plasma. The advantage to plasmas is that they have much better response times (for showing fast moving object), better performance at extreme viewing angles. There are much more detailed descriptions if you Google.

Collapse -
difference in led and plasma....?
by 1shahid_kapoor / June 2, 2011 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Difference

Yeah i got your point, but i want to know like if we consider led and plasma tv, what similarities we found is both are using the flat panels, the major difference is of black light only.
and if we talk about response time than both are performing almost same...moreover led tv consumes less power than plasma, so i think somewhere led tv is more considerble than plasma....!

Collapse -
Response time?
by Dan Filice / June 3, 2011 12:35 AM PDT

What figures are you looking at to compare the response times between Plasma and LED?

Collapse -
There Is No Best
by PistonCupChampion / June 3, 2011 1:10 AM PDT

A plasma is more likely to give a better picture than an LCD/LED, but it consumes more power, is not as bright, and is heavier and thicker. What is important to you? Picture only? Size? Price? Sound? Weight? Aesthetics? Brand? Reliability?

Best is subject to the opinions and desires of the end user.

Collapse -
Re: There is no best
by Dan Filice / June 3, 2011 3:52 AM PDT
In reply to: There Is No Best

You bring up some excellent points on what "makes" one TV better than another in the eyes of TV consumers. One would think that Picture Quality would matter most when deciding on what TV to buy, but it doesn't. People get hung up on the coolest trend, what TV is the thinnest, what TV is the brightest, the flattest, the lighest, etc. when buying. I'm in the minority when it comes to TVs in that I base my purchases on Picture Quality. Many of my friends have purchased the flattest and brightest TV, and when they come to my house to watch TV they all ask "Why does your TV look better than mine?" I say nothing because I don't want to burst their bubble, and I silently watch my TVs with a grin.

Collapse -
picture quality
by 2naaz3 / June 7, 2011 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: There Is No Best

even i prefer the picture quality in tv screens at first consideration...but it's more favorable option if we got the image quality in of plasma tv in any slimmest, lightest tv screen Happy .

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / June 3, 2011 2:08 AM PDT

You meant 'back light', as in the back-lit pixels of an LCD or LED-LCD HDTV. 'Black light' is something else ;).

Collapse -
by mraunak39 / June 7, 2011 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: correction

Collapse -
As has been said already ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 4:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Confused
Collapse -
by mraunak39 / June 7, 2011 7:23 PM PDT

Thank you for the link you shared with me and it was helpful...

Collapse -
back light interesting...
by 8mark5 / June 7, 2011 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Confused

Back light is form of illumination that generally uses in almost all type display screens like lcd, led, hdtv, plasma tv 3d tv because the phenomena of producing the light in display screen is quite similar.
but the type of light used in particular screen is different as it's depend on technology means use of back light in lcd tv is different and use of back light in led tv is different and sames goes on.....
so the back light simply means that light is implemented tvs at back side.
for more detail about the back light i found this is the relevant link for your quarry so just go this go through it hope it will help you out.. Blush ..!!!!

Collapse -
by mraunak39 / June 7, 2011 9:58 PM PDT

Well i had a little idea about the back light concept, but your information had really helped me to clear my doubts about back light.

Collapse -
Correction- plasma does not use backlighting
by Pepe7 / June 8, 2011 12:35 AM PDT

FWIW, the pixels on a plasma display are not backlit. That is the primary difference that matters most when comparing the two types of technology. One (LCD/LED) uses sort of 'trickery' to achieve the end result while the other does not.

Collapse -
by serena666 / June 5, 2011 10:06 PM PDT

Samsung LNS3251D 32-Inch LCD HDTV is best 4000:1 contrast ratio, Best picture quality, 1366 x 768-pixel resolution etc. But just TV cannot fulfill all your entertainment requirements. You should buy Google TV device with TV. Do check that HDMI port should be attached with TV. Google TV device is all in one machine for computer and TV. With Google TV device, you can enjoy movies,games including sensor based games,videos, send and receive mails, Facebook and many more.I m also a user of Google TV device last 9 months without any failure.

Collapse -
Google tv device
by aisha_khullar / June 7, 2011 8:20 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD TV

Google tv device is a nice suggestion but it's available only with Samsung lcd hd tv model you have suggested or it can be use with any other branded tv.
Moreover Google tv device is available in India or not i want to this as well.

Collapse -
Re: google tv in inda
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Google tv device
Collapse -
Google tv is not available.
by aisha_khullar / June 7, 2011 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: google tv in inda

Yeah I've searched about it but it's not available in India right now according to my search...!

Collapse -
Just a quick note
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

I have cleaned out a spam post from this thread.

Collapse -
quick note????
by Qaium098 / June 7, 2011 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a quick note

What sort of spam post you were talking about Confused ?

Collapse -
LED TV....
by j_bill / June 16, 2011 9:12 PM PDT

My brother is using the led tv and we have a lcd tv too both of them are good enough, but if we supposed to compare in between than i must say led tv is good over lcd tv.
And if you looking for a brand suggestions than i say you can consider the Samsung.
But please don't ask the suggestions or i noticed that these days people are concerning LG too much...which actually worth less.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.