Computer Newbies

General discussion

LCD Monitors: DVI vs. VGA

by ZekeEvans / November 2, 2003 12:09 PM PST

How much of an improvement is DVI over VGA? Am I correct in saying that all ATI and nVidia cards come with DVI output nowadays?

Pricing monitors at futureshop.ca, I'm wondering if going from an analog signal to a digital one is worth $300.

My computer will be used a lot for gaming and DVD movie watching.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LCD Monitors: DVI vs. VGA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LCD Monitors: DVI vs. VGA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:LCD Monitors: DVI vs. VGA
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2003 8:39 AM PST

Zeke,

First of all, NO, not all Nvidia cards come with BOTH digital and analog output included, but "most" of the newer high end ones do. So it's a good idea to check out the card before assuming that it has both types of outputs.

In regards to DVI (digital video interface) vs VGA (anaglog) differences on various monitors, it's going to depend on the monitor and what you use it for. If you get an expensive LCD monitor, which can fully utilize the digital input, then it will probably be a better viewing experience with a digital signal. But other than that, I don't know that I've noticed the difference much. Here's a link to a good discussion about the subject. You'll notice a link posted by one of the respondents in the discussion to Tom's Hardware. Their opinion is that there really isn't much difference in the two displays.:

Subject Discussion: DVI vs. VGA

Hope this helps and it's really up to you..

Grif

Collapse -
Re:LCD Monitors: DVI vs. VGA
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2003 9:58 AM PST

Grif is correct that you will need to be sure that the card you select has a DVI output. I have one computer with an ATI card connected to a Sony LCD monitor using the DVI connection and am well satisfied. If I may offer one bit of advice about LCD monitors is that they only run optimally in their native resolution. You will need to get a large enough monitor to support this resolution for comfortable viewing or you can end up with tiny desktop icons. Reducing the resolution will likely degrade image quality. Keep this in mind and good luck.

Collapse -
LCD Monitor may not be a great choice for gaming. If you
by Ray Harinec / November 4, 2003 6:58 AM PST

must use one then be sure to get one of the newer designs that give the reponse time for the TFT's. Try to get one in the 15 microsecond or lower range. The first generation TFT's simply were too slow for fast games. [solid state devices turn on fast, but turn off much slower]

Also the resolution issue for LCD's mentioned in the other response may be a problem. In order to fill up the screen, at any resolution than the design resolution, requires an interpolation software to create the "missing" pixels.

I'm color blind and I still see that CRT monitors seem to have better color [by looking at color charts on the monitors]. LCD's do not seem to have the fine shades of difference. Of course, I haven't checked all LCD's. LOL

Collapse -
Graphics card.......0
by Capt Bones / November 5, 2003 10:32 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.