Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Lavasoft's Ad-Aware will not install

by discgolftrainnut / June 28, 2009 1:49 AM PDT

Hi, I have an old Pentium III that I have been teaching. (My real machine's motherboard took the old dumpo.) Everything I have installed or downloaded and installed has worked properly so far. The machine has Windows XP Pro for an operating system.
I have tried to download Lavasoft's Ad-Aware on this slow dial-up about 10 times now in the last two days at various times of the day or night. Sometimes the download fails halfway through. Other times it says the download completes (35.7m). I think, "Great," but it either will not install or it says it installs but when I try to run it it says an error in different dll files each time I try. Help. I have used Ad-Aware on various machines since it's inception about 10 years ago and have had no problems with it. Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes? Please Help...signed: frustrated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lavasoft's Ad-Aware will not install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lavasoft's Ad-Aware will not install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a suggestion
by roddy32 / June 28, 2009 5:47 AM PDT

Instead of wasting your time with Ad-Aware there are better programs. Ad-Aware is not what it used to be IMO. MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) is about the best program out there. The free version works fine but doesn't have real time protection. The paid version has that but if you just want an on demand scanner it is great and their support forum is much better that Ad-Aware's.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion
by discgolftrainnut / June 28, 2009 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a suggestion

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't seem to work on this machine either. You are right about it being better though. My son has it on his computer running Vista and it works great for him. I think I'm about to shoot the darn thing.

Collapse -
What's You Serv.Pk.Level on XP??
by tobeach / June 28, 2009 4:46 PM PDT

If none or only SP1, you cannot use the new Adaware as it supports SP 2 & above only! Malwarebytes works fine on my SP1 Pro. Happy

Collapse -
SP2 has been out for
by roddy32 / June 28, 2009 10:27 PM PDT

somewhere around 5 years now. If I remember correctly, YOU never installed it. I highly doubt if you will find more than a handful of people in the world beside youself that did not. There are many that have not installed SP3 but I am sure that 99.99999999% of people in the world have at least SP2. You have not even been able to get Windows Updates for quite a few years because of it so your computer has more security holes than swiss cheese. Asking the patch level question every time you post is ridiculous and a waste of time IMO.

Collapse -
I Know ...It Seems Tiresome BUT...
by tobeach / June 29, 2009 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: SP2 has been out for

"Hi, I have an old Pentium III that I have been..."

"The machine has Windows XP Pro for an operating system."

This IS an old machine & XP/XP Pro BEFORE any service pack was current at that point in time and may well have been the initial OS with XP/XPPro SP1 coming out about the same time as Pentium 4 became popular
so it seems possible....sorry for wasting everyones time. Happy

Collapse -
Are you getting the same error trying
by roddy32 / June 28, 2009 10:30 PM PDT

to install MBAM as you get with Ad-Aware? If so, exactly what is the error?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.