Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Vista

General discussion

Lavasoft Ad-Aware Problem and can't get rid of it.. Please H

by Artic123 / February 2, 2009 3:30 PM PST

Everytime I run Lavasoft Ad-Aware it keeps picking up the folling listed below. I have tried everything. I run Vista. I even took the check mark out of restore point and it still picks it up and I can't delete it or heal it. Please, can some body please help me. Many thanks & God Bless.
--------------------------------------
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP23\A0004211.exe Runtime packed fsg

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{106CF321-99A3-4E3A-9103-1BD027606A99}\RP23\A0004222.exe Runtime packed fsg

--------------------------------------
Up above is what ad-aware keeps picking up and I can't delete it or get rid of it. Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Problem and can't get rid of it.. Please H
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Problem and can't get rid of it.. Please H
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The reason...
by John.Wilkinson / February 3, 2009 7:33 AM PST

The reason that happens is that the System Restore points are protected system files, and thus cannot be deleted by AdAware or other application. However, AdAware continues to detect it because a piece of malware was saved in one of those restore points. The issue will resolve itself after those restore points are replaced by newer ones, but you can speed up the process by disabling System Restore, which purges all restore points, and then reenabling it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Can I do this?
by Artic123 / February 3, 2009 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: The reason...

I have tried everything that you kind people have said and I still keep getting that same error. I was wondering, can I just add those 2 items to "Exceptions" or would that be doing wrong. I just don't know what to do know. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. God Bless.

Collapse -
Apparently, You Haven't Disabled System Restore Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 3, 2009 1:36 PM PST
In reply to: Can I do this?

Temporarily disable system restore,as mentioned earlier, and you won't have a "System Volume Information" directory any more.

How To Disable System Restore

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I am doing everything correctly but still....
by Artic123 / February 3, 2009 2:38 PM PST

Thats just it, I have correctly disable system restore and rebooted and then enabled it back and rebooked again. It just won't go away. I have to be doing something wrong as this isn't working on Vista. I am still open for any help please.

Collapse -
OK Then... Try A Different Tool
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 5, 2009 9:17 AM PST

Download, install, update, then run a full system scan with the free SuperAntispyware removal tool from the link below.. If it finds nothing in those same system restore volumes, then you know Ad-Aware is giving you a false positive and you can ignore it.. Or exclude it from the scan..

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Then again, maybe SuperAntispyware will find some malware that Ad-Aware didn't and remove it correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
it could be harmless ...
by caffeine1974 / October 11, 2009 12:12 PM PDT

FSG files are just EXE files compressed with the "Fast Simple Good" EXE compression method. Anti-spyware and anti-malware programs will pick out FSG compressed files because malware authors used that compression method to hide from them before, so instead or putting routines in their code to 'decrypt' FSG compressed EXE files anti-malware authors (AVG among others) took the easy way out and decided that any FSG compressed executable would simply be flagged as "possible malware". Cheap. Easy. Wrong.

If it _is_ malware the file(s) being picked up could be artifacts left behind by a more serious infection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.