Windows 7 forum

Rant

Last 2 windows updates have crashed both home computers

by Moomans / January 28, 2012 4:08 AM PST

Does anyone know of any prevailing issues with the latest round of windows updates?? Two weeks ago our computer running Windows 7 Premium downloaded an update and received the dreaded black screen on startup. It will now no longer run windows, offer a boot menu or anything. Microsoft is NO HELP at all as it was purchased as OEM operating system on the tower. The manufacturer is really no help either in the matter, for what its worth. Today our older unit running Vista Home Premium did an auto update and we now have the same issue. Sadly with the O/S and with Microsofts "stellar" customer service. I am running Norton with all the current updates and i am sure it is not a virus. Any ideas????

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Last 2 windows updates have crashed both home computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Last 2 windows updates have crashed both home computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No issues here.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 4:33 AM PST

Something must be special with both your (networked?) computers.

What is the "dreaded black screen" exactly? And what's the last thing you see happening on the screen before that?

Why are you sure it's not a virus? All your post shows is that it isn't a virus known to Norton.

What I should do:
1. Boot into a Linux Live environment to save the latest files I didn't yet backup.
2. A clean install of the OS, back to factory conditions.
3. Let Windows update redo all updates. There's a VERY good chance it won't crash your machine, because it did nowhere else.

Kees

Collapse -
I would make the same ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 28, 2012 5:02 AM PST

suggestions as Kees but would also suggest that you try a different product than Nortons for your AV security.

Over the last few years I have noted many strange problems on computers that have Nortons (and other Symantec products) installed that do not happen on identical (right down to the rest of the software installed) computers.

If you really "love" your Norton AV then you might DISABLE IT during the updates.

Collapse -
Same Issue Here
by NickTech21 / March 19, 2013 2:51 AM PDT

I had the same thing happen about the time your crash happened. I had not rebooted my new laptop in about 20 days, when I rebooted to install the updates the problems with the machine started and led to the black screen. The mother board was fried along with the wifi card. It definitely is not a virus. I had the laptop repaired and after all updates especially recent ones, display issues started and I know the inevitable seems to be happening. XP has not given me any grief at all. 7 and vista have crashed upon updates on a lot of my client's computers. Computer manufacturers just want to keep repairing and charge with software related issues and the sad part is they really dont care. My advice and what I have had to do is install up to the crashing updates and turn updates off.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.