Phones

General discussion

large font on cell phones

by dbbygil / December 27, 2008 10:03 AM PST

I need a phone with a large display font so I can see who is calling without putting my glasses on since I am usually driving 8 hours a day. any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: large font on cell phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: large font on cell phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Large Fonts - Cell Phones
by socal123 / January 4, 2009 1:53 AM PST

Hello. Are you currently with a provider? With AT&T, and although the price is steep, the iPhone clearly displays your incoming calls. (Probably a size 14 font.) The touch screen is the largest available so you don't have to scramble for your glasses to see who is calling. This was the main reason I bought this phone! I also have a Verizon plan and will be updating my phone with them for the same reason. A phone rep told me the LG Dare or Samsung Omnia are best, although the Dare doesn't require the data package, but the screen is 3". (The iPhone touchscreen is 4", so your ability to view numbers are easier.) I'm on my way to the mall today to check out those phones.)

Hope this helps! (I don't know why these cell phone and software designers don't give more thought to people that sometimes weear reading glasses- as I do.) Not interested in the Jitterbug as I'm not elderly.

Collapse -
CELL PHONES WITH LARGE FONTS
by patc1635 / December 30, 2009 12:22 PM PST

I SAW UR RESPONSE GIVING INFO FOR AT&T AND VERIZON. I AM WITH TMOBILE.... DO THEY HAVE ANY CELLS WITH BIIIIGGGG FONTS??? I HAVE BEE HUNTING FOREVER FOR ONE. EVEN YOUNGER PEOPLE CANT READ THE DARN THINGS. I HAVE NO PROBLEM READING A NUMBER I DIAL, BUT ANYTHING ELSE I NEED A MAGNIFYING GLASS. UR HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. TNX

Collapse -
large fonts
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 12:50 PM PST

Most (not all) phones have the option to increase the font size on the display of the phone. Usually found in the <Settings> menu. If you still have difficulty, try reading the owner's manual when all else fails. Best wishes and hope you can find a simple solution. You may not need a different phone.

Collapse -
re: large font
by la196 / February 24, 2010 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: large fonts

Sure many of the phones have a font setting but it's nothing substantial enough to make a difference as you navigate through the phones menu. That is the problem, having larger font for the overall menu. Most phones will display huge font when actually dialing a number, but as far as overall font; unless you have a large screen like i Phone not many phone out there is going to cut it; and of course there's the much too simple Jitterbug that is not enough features. Increasing the font setting to "large" on a typical phone is negligible. Unfortunately not everyone needs all the extra expense of internet or 3G service to own the phones with a huge screen. Even the 3G phones out there capable of a better size font are still a rip off because they force you to purchase that extra 10 bucks a month for a service that they may not have use for. I'm not a big on the need for IM but still would be nice to see a larger font for the menu would be nice. So as the market stands, it's either one extreme or the other but not much in the middle. Seems like that's the way it works in this country.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.