Phones forum

General discussion

Large display, simple feature cell phone?

by lgski61 / May 3, 2008 3:18 PM PDT

Does anyone know of a cell phone model that has a large, easy to read display, even in direct sunlight? I have a Nokia 2610 that my 46 year old eyes just can't see! It is especially bad in direct sunlight, nearly impossible to see any text. I don't care about features, even gave up a Nokia 5300 because it had too many features. I just want to talk, text, and be able to see the screen. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Large display, simple feature cell phone?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Large display, simple feature cell phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good luck
by Jimmy Greystone / May 4, 2008 12:15 AM PDT

Good luck in your search, because I suspect it will be a long one, full of disappointment.

For reasons of power consumption, phones all use LCDs for their displays. Even when backlit, these tend to pale in comparison to the luminosity of the sunlight reaching the earth. So basically, short of someone coming up with a revolutionary new display technology, direct sunlight is ALWAYS going to completely overpower your phone's display. It really is just a case of a design tradeoff. If phone designers had a more powerful battery, they could probably put in a brighter screen, but that would mean making the phone much bulkier than people are willing to put up with today. So, short of some revolutionary new type of display or breakthrough in battery technology, the best thing to do is try and figure a way to keep the phone out of direct sunlight when you need to see it. Easier said than done, I know, but you're not likely to see the situation improve any time soon. No one wants to invest all that money into R&D to come up with anything. That's why we've been using LCDs for decades and there hasn't been much in the way of new battery technology in roughly the same amount of time.

Collapse -
by lgski61 / May 4, 2008 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck

Yeah, I have a habit of asking for impossible things! To be fair, it's not their fault I am old and I am definitely NOT their target demographic. Thanks for taking the time explain all that and dash any hope I ever had of finding a decent LCD screen that doesn't weigh four pounds. Ha! I'm just kidding. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Try this...
by cant_get_enough_tech / May 5, 2008 9:05 AM PDT

A great basic phone with a large screen is the Motorola V195s, on T-Mobile. It also has a great roomy keypad for texting and bluetooth. CNET gave it a 7.3 and users gave it an average of 7.5 from 12 users.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Motorola V195s
by lgski61 / May 5, 2008 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this...

I just looked up the CNET review. Looks like a contender! I really appreciate your help.

Collapse -
by cant_get_enough_tech / May 6, 2008 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Motorola V195s

That's what I'm here for!

Collapse -
I just got a Razr V3xx
by PudgyOne / May 6, 2008 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Motorola V195s

I can see this display in bright places. Stop by a store and have them show them to you. No purchase necessary.

Collapse -
by lgski61 / May 6, 2008 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: I just got a Razr V3xx

I will give it a try. Thanks for the response!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.