Laptops forum

General discussion

laptops with backlit keyboards

by lovadova / August 26, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

I am looking to buy a laptop with a backlit keyboard. any suggestions would be great!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptops with backlit keyboards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptops with backlit keyboards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
backlit keyboard
by krush87 / August 26, 2009 3:37 AM PDT

heya.. may i know first what's ur budget?

my recommendations are :
alienware laptops
13 inch macbook pro
dell studio xps 16
dell studio 1555

Collapse -
backlit keyboard
by lovadova / August 26, 2009 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: backlit keyboard

my budget is around $1000 or less if possible

Collapse -
opt for this
by krush87 / August 26, 2009 6:39 PM PDT

Alienware M15x - USD 1149.
* Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz
* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870
* WideXGA+ (720p)
* 2GB DDR2 667 MHz
* 250GB 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Or if u dun play games go for the studio 1555. with your budget u can get a Full HD panel on it with Blu-Ray slot in Optical disc drive.. The spec below is with Blu-ray. If u don't want Blu-ray, the price is USD 874.

Studio 1555 - USD 1024 (USD 874 without blu-ray)
Genuine Windows Vista

Collapse -
asking again
by krush87 / August 26, 2009 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: opt for this

btw may i ask u once again..

what's do u wanna do on ur laptop? playing games? convert videos? or just plain word editing and stuff.

and what size would u prefer. 15 inch? 14 inch?

and do u move a lot?

Collapse -
backlit keyboard
by lovadova / August 27, 2009 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: asking again

My main uses would be photos(photo shop), music, internet browsing and word. wouldn't mostly be used at home as i don't travel much.

Collapse -
The machines with the lights are mostly
by orlbuckeye / August 28, 2009 12:00 AM PDT

gaming machine and usually are out of your price range stated.

Collapse -
dell studio 1555
by gps-ntp / December 21, 2009 10:51 AM PST

i've got dell studio 1555 and for gaming is very sufficient (not high detail), but latest games with optimal gaming pleasure Happy

Collapse -
get the studio 15
by krush87 / August 28, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

get teh studio 15 then.. Grin

Collapse -
photoshop
by janpakii / April 28, 2011 11:35 PM PDT

That is a purchased copy of Photoshop correct Happy

Collapse -
can I ask any more annoying questions?
by fsb2cool2care / May 13, 2010 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: asking again

Why do you want a backlit keyboard?
Can't you just use a flashlight?
My cousin Billybob uses a snake light duct-taped to his ceiling fan.
What kind of computer games to you like to play?
Will you use it to fly kites?
Do you like your toliet paper to go over or under?
Do you find these kind of responses really freaking annoying?
SHOULD I JUST LIST THE LAPTOPS I AM AWARE OF THAT HAVE BACKLIT KEYBOARDS OR ELSE STOP WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME?

Collapse -
Backlit keyboard
by Richard Carner / November 25, 2009 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: opt for this

This is a bit dated relative to your answer. But, where did you find a Studio 1550 with these specifications for $874? Best I could come with was $999 on Dell's site.

Collapse -
Cheap
by Renegade Knight / September 2, 2009 5:03 AM PDT

The 13" MackBook Pro should be back lit (verify) it's just above your budget.

Lenovo ThinkPads have a LED light you can turn on that lights the keyboard. It's not backlight but it does put light on the keyboard. You can find one in your buget. Check the T series.

Collapse -
confirmed, MBPs have backlit keyboard,
by d_adams / December 26, 2009 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: Cheap

and the 13" models are good for most everything except intense gaming, but they are a little out of this guys budget.

All of Dells Studio laptops have a backlit keyboard option if you pay $25 extra. They look like decent machines with pretty low prices.

Collapse -
backlit keyboard follow-up
by Richard Carner / December 27, 2009 2:18 AM PST

I got a Dell 1550. By the time I got done customizing the machine, I coughed up $1,100. I bulked it up with a Intel P8700 2.53GHz processor, better video card, Full HD 1080 screeen, etc. The backlit keyboard did not disappoint. I like it better than my desktop Saitek keyboard. It has a dimming switch in the Fkey spot. The wPrime score averages around 32 sec. I'm running Win7. Runs smooth seems snappier than XP. Thought I'd never admit that..

Richard

Collapse -
Are there any non-Dell laptops with backlit keyboards?
by JDFitz / January 24, 2010 10:20 AM PST

For those of us that have been burned by Dell so many times...that our wives aren't allowing us to buy their products any more...are they're any other non-Dell laptops with backlit keyboards?

Collapse -
Reply to 'those who got burned by Dell..
by Richard Carner / January 25, 2010 2:37 AM PST

Hi,
This is a follow up report on my Dell 1550. I haven't been keeping up with the latest developments with backlit keyboards so I cannot help you with that. I can give you some general feedback about this Studio 1550 - the backlit keyboard and more. Recently, I put the laptop through a pretty severe test - outdoors for 5 days in temperatures that dropped into the teens. My primary purpose in getting the backlit keyboard was to do some minimal typing an use F key shortcuts while in the dark and at the telescope. The laptop worked very well in the extreme cold. I did spring for a Seaport i-Visor Pro in order to protect it from the dew and frost I was experiencing (http://www.seaportdigital.com/ivisor-pro-ls-p-36.html. This briefcase/visor was well worth the investment. The backlit keyboard shuts down by itself after about 30 seconds of inactivity. The keys are illuminated with a nice cold white light and the letters, etc. are very crisp and easily read. I have to say that the performance was more than I expected and is actually superior in my opinion to the backlit keyboard that I purchased from Saitek for my Desktop. Saitek is known specifically for their backlit keyboards. The difference between the two may have more to do with the configuration of the keys. In any event, there is much less light leakage coming from the Dell than the Saitek. If there was anything to be disappointed with it would be the fact that unlike the Saitek, there is no way to manually dim the keyboard. What you have is 2 brightness settings and an 'off' position. So that..in critical areas of the sky where I was attempting to find/observe 14th magnitude objects (objects that are about 150,000 times dimmer than the naked eye star Aldebaran), I had to manually turn off the backlit keyboard and use a red light instead. This is because it is important to keep the eyes adapted to the dark. Of course this has nothing to do with most people's worlds and how they would be employing the backlit keyboard!

I was glad I bumped up the processor to a 2.53 GB P8700 Intel Core2 Duo. I was around 4 other astronomer types for around 2 weeks - each with their own flavor of laptop, some with more than one. All of them said that they had never seen a better looking screen - a 15.6 HD 1080p high brightness LED. The downside is the reflections that can fly in from anywhere. This highly reflective screen makes the laptop relatively useless outdoors so I broke down and purchased from View Guard (http://www.buyviewguard.com/en-us/) and anti-reflectivity cover, which I am told serves double duty as protection for the screen.

I don't know what bad experiences you have had with Dell - I can only imagine.. I definitely think that their customer service sucks and from what I have heard, has for years. All I can say is that this is my first Dell product and so far I am very happy with it.

Richard

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Back-lit Keyboard Laptop other than Dell
by BillDiehl / August 12, 2010 12:54 PM PDT

Costo online sells a great Toshiba laptop with a back-lit keyboard. It's a Toshiba Qosmio X505. It has the i7-740QM processor with just about every high-end feature you could want. The display is 18.4". Costco has a 90 day return policy and a 2year waranty. Price includes delivery. $1399 The reviews are excellent.

Collapse -
My review is not so excellant.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 1:11 AM PDT

I really want to like i7 equipped laptops but time and time again these turn out to be very hot machines while games are played.

Why not tell the folk about this in your posts?
Bob

Collapse -
The best bar none! ASUS
by peopleforemost.com / July 16, 2010 10:29 PM PDT

I was just at a place called BEST BUY.East coast of the USA. They had several different ranging 600'S to 1500'S dollars in laptops. ASUS also offers very "state of the art" High Gloss Black Desk tops with hidaway doors ultra modern! Also see one on TIGRERDIRECT.com but it was pretty expensive 12 - 15 hundred for a laptop . ASUS internals are second to none. Hope this helps

Collapse -
Thanks for the help!
by goodguy1234ass / December 7, 2010 1:22 PM PST

Richard,
Thanks for the help and such a descriptive post. I was having problems with glare and reflections off my Dell 1550 and as soon as I read your post I purchased a ViewGuard Screen Protector for it. I don't hate the screen anymore.

Thanks,
Guy

Collapse -
Laptop
by sanyam123 / August 23, 2012 7:40 PM PDT

Please tell me some laptops with in range 45000, with i5 or i7 3210M(third generation) processor ,,nvidia Ge force 650 graphic card and if possible 1988*1056pixel display. companies i prefer are dell,sony , hp and lenevo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.