Laptops forum

Question

Laptops supporting Intel Wireless Display (WiDI)

by Bradamant / August 28, 2012 6:34 AM PDT

I am perplexed and am in need of information/understanding/a reality check. (Posting here because I still need to decide on a new laptop.)

I recently bought a Lenovo Z570 laptop that was explicitly advertised as supporting Intel Wireless Display (WiDi). I also bought a Belkin Screencast adaptor.

The computer arrived and there was the WiDi shortcut on the desktop. I plugged the Screencast adaptor to my tv through an HDMI cable and set the tv to the correct channel for the input. Great so far!

Per Intel's list of updates (http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-033375.htm), I went through and updated the wireless driver and then the Graphics driver. When I tried to update the Intel Wireless Display software, it was aborted. And my screencast said that the monitor display could not be sent to tv.

After a lot of searching, I realized that my i5-2450M processor does not appear on Intel's list of compatible processors. System requirements can be found at http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031059.htm which says that the processor must be:
ONE of the following:
Intel® Core™ i7: 640M; 660LM; 640LM; 620LM; 620M; 610E; 690UM; 680UM; 660UM; 640UM; 620UM; 660UE; 2710QE; 2820QM; 2720QM; 2635QM; 2630QM; 2657M; 2649M; 2629M; 2620M; 2617M; 2540M; 2520M; 2510E; 2640LM; 2620LM; 2630UM; 2610UM; 2530UM; 2920XM
Intel® Core™ i5: 580M; 560M; 540M; 520M; 480M; 460M; 450M; 430M; 580UM; 560UM; 540UM; 520UM; 470UM; 430UM; 2540M; 2520M; 2410M; 2537M
Intel® Core™ i3: 390M; 380M; 370M; 350M; 330M; 330E; 2310M

Strange, but at that point I was just angry that the store and/or Lenovo had made a whopping mistake. After all, the WiDi shortcut and program was on my laptop; there has to be a reason for that, right?

After a lot of searching, I haven't come up with any answers, only more questions. On Best Buy, I searched for pc laptops that support WiDi. A list of 36 or 37 machines came up as qualifying. However, in going through them one by one, only a handful have processors that appear on Intel's list for the System Requirements.

I am very confused. Is Intel's list out of date? But if that's so, why didn't my attempt to update and use the software work? Are bestbuy and costco and multiple laptop makers mistaken when they say a machine is capable of supporting Wireless Display? What the heck is going on? Can anyone help me figure this out?

The Lenovo is on it's way back, but I need a new laptop as my old one is literally falling apart. A new one with WiDi would be extremely useful for a disabled family member. I'm also stuck with the Screencast I bought now too. Beyond all that, I'm really curious what is going on. Am I just stupid or befuddled or . . .is there something I'm missing? Any help would be so, so appreciated. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptops supporting Intel Wireless Display (WiDI)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptops supporting Intel Wireless Display (WiDI)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My advice? Forget WiDi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2012 6:38 AM PDT

Why? Because it fails if the content is copy protected. It was a nice idea.

Your long post was OK but I can't find what attracted you to WiDi. I know I thought it would be a good idea, but then I started to read about its limitations and decided it was hobbled by an industry trying to cater to too many masters.

Bob

Collapse -
Why WIDI is great
by Phlyman / March 4, 2014 1:04 AM PST

I use WIDI all the time in my business. It allows me to put my computer screen on a TV monitor for group discussions. I share the same frustration as the intial post -- it seems impossible to find a list of compatible laptops -- And I am posting amost 2 years later. Intel has done a terrible job of promoting this technology.

Collapse -
For that it's very nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2014 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: Why WIDI is great
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.