Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop won't turn on?

by lzlshintani / July 16, 2008 3:48 AM PDT

Okay, just recently my laptop suffered a small drop, but now it won't turn on. When plugged in with an AC, none of the indicating power lights are lit up even though the power supply is good. I tried letting it charge, but still not lights at all on the laptop. I opened it up and tried to reseat all the cables, but when I put it back together, still nothing.

Does anyone know what's wrong :< ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop won't turn on?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop won't turn on?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Small or long drop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2008 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop won't turn on?

The shock can break too many items. You should discover the cheapest fix can be a new notebook if you are not covered by insurance.
Bob

Collapse -
Small drop is...
by lzlshintani / July 16, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Small or long drop.

The drop was less than a foot, but it was on concrete.

I can't get a new laptop because it's warranty already ran out as well as I don't have the money right now.

Collapse -
Then less money.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2008 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Small drop is...

Pull the hard disk and put into some 10 to 20 buck USB enclosure and use other machines till you can get your new machine.

Let me be very clear here. Today's new boards made with lead free solder are more prone to fractures of the solder joints than just a few years ago when we used lead based solder.

Let me continue on this with this. No one can repair said boards since labor costs outstrip the cost of a replacement board. Also the labor and new board often outstrips the cost of a new laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
Laptop free fall
by Phil Crase / July 16, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

It is TOAST.

Collapse -
My laptop won't turn! WHY?????
by DJ MAXIE / February 8, 2009 11:55 PM PST

Just recently my laptop got kicked off the top bunk bed. Now it won't turn on for some reason. I turn it on and the light turns on too, but the picture won't show up.

Anyone know what happened???!!!

Collapse -
laptop wont turn on
by sthompson / July 18, 2008 5:09 AM PDT

I didn't drop my HP Pavillion Ze2000. One day, after a weekend of no use, it just wouldn't power up. Any ideas? Also, how do you use the hard drive in a case? What is the case called so I can purchase one?

Collapse -
Links about drive enclosure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop wont turn on
Collapse -
Did You Remove The Battery?
by nscave / July 18, 2008 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop wont turn on

You may have already done this, but remember many laptops require that you remove the battery for about 30 sec. as well as disconnect the AC power to reset them.

Always try this when everything appears completely dead.

(

Collapse -
Thanx a bunch
by deoji / December 11, 2009 2:37 AM PST

I came here having the same problem. I dropped my laptop and was in dismay. After reading a couple of responses, my dismay worsened, but then I came accross yours (Did you Remove the Battery?) I removed the battery and power cord and all is well...Whew! thanx a million.

Collapse -
Thanks alot
by Denver Voss / June 5, 2010 12:27 AM PDT

I tried everything, then i read this, (Did You Remove The Battery) and it worked perfectly! Thank You SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Collapse -
how easy was that !
by mockel_3d / August 16, 2010 3:35 AM PDT

thanks man, worked like a charm.

Collapse -
OMG - It Worked!!!
by GemLena / August 17, 2010 8:47 PM PDT

I Love You!!

I dropped my computer last night (on the bed when I fell asleep). It would not work this morning. The message boards all sounded like it was then end.. then there was you - here to save my computer!! Thanks for posting!!

Collapse -
Awesome!!!!
by steelersfan1093 / November 1, 2010 12:22 PM PDT

thanks a lot dude it worked!!!! TWO THUMBS UP!!!

Collapse -
Try Resetting the Board
by High Desert Charlie / July 18, 2008 1:46 PM PDT

After a drop, there are any number of things that can be wrong, but since getting power is the very first step, see if you can Reset your laptop.

To do this, remove the battery and AC Adapter cord, and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then, without replacing the battery try plugging in your AC Adapter to see if you get any love. If that doesn't work, remove the AC adapter, reset the board again, and this time hold the power button down as you plug in the AC Adapter cord. If you still don't get any lights, you could try removing your memory, reset the board, replace the memory, plug in the AC Adapter, and try one more time. If all of this fails, follow the advice of the other guys and get an external hard drive enclosure so you can retrieve your data from the hard drive.

I work on laptops for a living. The cost to replace the motherboard will likely be around $180-200 for the labor plus the cost of the board which may be anywhere from $100 - $250.

Good luck.

HDCharlie

Collapse -
Thanx
by bigdaddydok / December 12, 2008 4:18 AM PST

Great information dawg, thanks

Collapse -
excellent advice hd
by tsturnbu / April 4, 2009 3:59 AM PDT

i dropped my laptop and after i read your post, i removed the batter an dacpower cord, held power for 40 seconds, then replugged teh ac adapter without the battery. then viola! computer is working. thank u so much. i was ready to spend money at best buy....thank goodness i found your post first!

Collapse -
resetting board
by aramirez5150 / April 24, 2009 9:36 PM PDT

just wanted to say thanks no one could help they told ne it was toast causeb i dropped it followed your advive shazam its up and running thanks pal

Collapse -
Reseting High desert charlie
by highschool1984 / April 25, 2009 11:19 AM PDT

I just read your post and tried this method w/ my computer and YAY my computer works again! First try and it went on! It's like I never dropped it back to normal Thank you sooooooooooo much for your post!

Collapse -
thankyou HDCharlie
by emsywhite / June 25, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

just wanted to say thank you for that excellent advice. my nephew felt really bad after accidently dropping his laptop and his mum was about to put it in the bin. i did a search online and came across your advice and it worked a treat. thanks heaps. we're all really grateful.

Collapse -
Thank you
by J8M7G / August 11, 2009 1:55 AM PDT

I signed up just to say thank you for this info it really helped.

Collapse -
You're wonderful!
by circuitcrtgirl / August 14, 2009 5:44 AM PDT

Oh my goodness! You saved me. Your advice was right on the money. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Collapse -
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
by steph1278 / November 17, 2009 6:43 PM PST

I cannot tell you thank you enough for the post about resetting the laptop. When my HP just stopped turning on, I called them to find out what could be wrong and they would not help me because the warranty had expired. I asked if there was anything I could do to troubleshoot without being problem-specific and they STILL wouldn't give me any advice other than to say that a professional needed to look at it. I didn't want to pay someone $50 - $100 to tell me that it had been fried somehow and needed a new one. So I googled the problem, found your post, and thought "what the hell", and it WORKED! Thank you so much for saving a lot of time, money, and, I'm sure, headache!

Collapse -
THANK YOU HDCHARLIE!!!
by mexioc / November 29, 2009 1:57 AM PST

I just wanted to say that this is one of the most useful posts I have ever found on the internet. Thank you!! I thought the laptop was history. There was no fall, no spill, it just decided not to turn on. Reset as you instructed, plugged in w/o the battery and omg it turned on. HDCharlie, thank you to the nth power for sharing this information.

Collapse -
Why didn't work for me???
by stargazer3n3 / October 28, 2010 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK YOU HDCHARLIE!!!

My laptop decided 3 days ago not to turn on(no fall,no spill,no anything...).Everything appears to be completely dead and there is one more thing:when i plug in the AC Adapter,there is a strange noise coming from the laptop,like the beats of a clock...I did everything that HDCharlie said but still nothing...

Could anyone tell me what's wrong?

Collapse -
The reset is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2010 3:22 AM PDT

Not going to fix some machines. Yours sounds like an electronics failure so a call to the laptop maker is next.

Hope it's in warranty still.
Bob

Collapse -
Bad luck
by stargazer3n3 / October 28, 2010 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: The reset is

That's the irony...The warranty expired just one day before the problem shows up.I'm so unlucky...Thanks anyway

Collapse -
Fast. Call it in!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2010 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad luck

In many states the warranty is extended by the time the product was in their shop for repair.

Even ONE DAY is enough in this case.

Also, credit card purchases may double the warranty. Ask your CC company.

Finally, some makers extend the warranty if you register the product online. Samsung for HDTVs adds 3 months. I can't know if your laptop maker has such or if any of the above apply.
Bob

Collapse -
dropped laptop
by fsovrin / December 6, 2009 6:51 AM PST

So my daughter dropped my laptop off a coffee table and now it will power up but shows a picture of a file when it starts up, then the apple pic comes up and it won't go any further than that.

There's a little dent in the right top corner of the laptop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Did not drop mine but this worked
by adrienne645 / December 14, 2009 3:25 AM PST

I did not drop mine it just got an HP Pavillion mood... Thanks - this and the other links that suggested to take out the battery - were a good start I had done this before but it still would not come on - but the trick was the holding the on button down for 30 sec then putting the plug back in (w/o the battery and still holding the on-button on)- this did it and you saved me buying a new laptop at this moment -- Great help - thank you soo much - SR

Collapse -
Saved me!
by cloud.chaser / January 16, 2010 11:02 AM PST

Thank you so much! This trick saved me from at least a few days of worry and likely money, too!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.