Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Laptop won't recognize my wireless network

by pwmpci / May 18, 2006 11:13 PM PDT

Hi. Dell laptop P3, Windows XP. D-Link Air DWL-650 PC card adapter and drivers loaded. Network Microsoft 802.11b. Network works fine with my other laptop on the net.
This Dell laptop will not recognize the 802.11b network. When I click on the ''wireless network connection'' icon, it says wireless connection unavailable. Netword Adapter PC card has 2 green lights. 1 is on solid, one is flashing. Any thoughts on what I doing wrong here? Thanks, pete M.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop won't recognize my wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop won't recognize my wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Correct channel? And, b vs. g?
by ZenWarrior / May 18, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

You do not provide entirely sufficient and clear info, but given what you have provided, check to make certain you are on the same channel as your router and the card is set to receive b and not (or, but also) g. Verify those settings in your card's configuration.

Collapse -
Too little information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2006 11:30 PM PDT

You tell "XP" but which XP? It matters since some will install a retail copy of XP onto machines and not know that hours of more work is needed to find and install motherboard support drivers or other drivers.

The lights are interesting but don't tell much except the power is on.

Collapse -
Too little information.
by pwmpci / May 19, 2006 5:27 AM PDT

Hi, sorry about the missing info. Windows XP Home Ed. Version 2002, Service pack 2. 512MB Ram.
Addt'l info: I am able to go on the internet on this laptop by using a D-Link network 10M/100M network card, hard wired to the router.
When I put in the Wireless PC card adapter, it doesn't see any wireless network. The wireless network Connection ( Choose a wireless network )says''Windows cannot configure this wireless connection.'' The D-link Air utility status shows: Status, disconnected. SSID, N/A. Adhoc channel, Channel 10. Profile IP settings, Disable.
When I choose the D-link Air Utility - Available Network page, it shows my correctly named network at 76% signal strength. Please let me know if you need additional info. Thanks, pete M.

Collapse -
With my wireless setup
by glb613 / May 19, 2006 8:25 AM PDT

I connected the first time by right clicking on the wireless icon, selected view all wireless networks, picked mine then connect. Because I use wireless security, I had to enter the network key number to connect.

Did you properly install the wireless card? I have an older notebook without built in wireless. When I installed the PCMCIA card, I had to install the software first then when prompted, put in the card. If you don't do it right, it won't work.

Collapse -
Seems proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2006 11:40 PM PDT

With the wired connection Windows has that at an IP connection of say 192.x.x.x. To connect wirelessly it would need to not have the wired connection active so all is proper (in the ways of Microsoft.)

I still don't know who installed the OS and if they know about drivers. It's not clear that the drivers are proper so that leaves that in the air.

So far it appears to be the usual issues, but I don't have the details.

Try this. UNPLUG the ethernet. Shutdown and reboot.

Collapse -
Here is where I am at this time
by pwmpci / May 21, 2006 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Seems proper.

1. With the Dlink wireless PC card inserted, I right click on the little computer icon with the red x on the task bar. I select view available networks. I get an error message.''Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you want windows to configure, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC) service. How do I do that?
2. When I go to Microsoft Broadband Networking, it says ''Microsoft Broadband networking has a known compatimility issue with this version of windows. I have Win XP home with service pack 2. Any thoughts?
I would be happy to buy a different wireless PC adapter card & driver, let's say from Linksis for example, but I don't know if that would solve the problem & get me connected wirelessly.
Thanks for the help. Pete M

Collapse -
While I may ask questions, I have no answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2006 11:36 PM PDT

I've noted a few items that need answers. Without them, those items remain at issue.

You may have to take it to a service desk.

Collapse -
by Brandon Eng / May 24, 2006 12:14 AM PDT

I'll hazard a guess and suggest it's one of two things: wrong drivers, or you have to "repair" your connection. Go to device manager (go to your Help and Support area from your Start menu on how); see any yellow exclamation points? If you do, that's a good indication that either you have improperly installed drivers, or the card simply isn't functional (never was a fan of D-Link).

My other guess is that the network card is locked into a different IP address- happens to me on occasion with my laptop- right click the wireless network icon in the systray, then left click "repair"-then try to connect. As I've said, this is a guess.

Oh, one more thing- there's been times when I've lost my network connectivity, I've had to hardwire my laptop to the router, go through the setup page, add the laptop to the network, repair the wireless connection, THEN I was able to connect. Maddening. Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.