Laptop is about 2 years old, specs below

Msi gx660
i5
8 gigs ram
64gb ssd (boot/os disk)
500gb storage
Ati mobility radeon hd 5870

Basically, I woke up to turn it on earlier today and its not posting

It turns on, I can hear the fans turn on but there is nothin on my screen or hard drive activity.

I have done the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Reseat memory
2. Reseat both drives
3. Replace the CMOS battery
4. Remove 1 stick of memory try to boot then try the other stick

I have tried all the above steps seperately as well as combined them.

Is there anything else that can be done? The only thin I can think of is my board being friend (which I hope is not the case).

Last night before powering down my laptop, I felt some static electricity leave my hand and go into the USB slot. I know that static can fry components when working on your laptop from the inside but is it possible to fry the components while just holding your laptop?

Thanks for reading

Mcvul has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop won't post
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop won't post
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Mcvul

Collapse -
Sounds about right for a gaming laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Laptop won't post

If you've been in these forums I've written many times to expect repairs in a few years on the gaming laptops.

Since there is no screen I have to think it's the usual motherboard or if the model has a video card, one of those two items are swapped out.

Be sure to remove optional connections (USB) and the HDD, SSD, optical to make sure such is not causing a hang on boot. Your newer tech may ask why.
Bob

Collapse -
Laptop won't post cont...
by Mcvul / December 19, 2012 5:03 AM PST

Thanks R.Proffitt for the response. I am new to these forums, I will look up the history o your posts for more information.

I've removed all optional items in my laptop, the ony thing I haven't removed, then booted the laptop, is my boot disk. I was under the impression that even if the boot
Disk is corrupted my laptop would still post but not find the OS.

Collapse -
We remove everything we can.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 5:06 AM PST

Even the battery. Since there is no POST, we are downsizing to see if it's any of the cheap parts.

You have a gaming laptop, it's 2 years old and if it's like most the owner never heard about canned air use.
Bob

Collapse -
No luck
by Mcvul / December 19, 2012 6:37 AM PST

Hi Bob,

I followed the steps mentioned above and still no luck.

Could you elaborate on the canned air statement you made?

Collapse -
About canned air.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: No luck

Laptop makers and those that sell them rarely touch on maintenance. It's a shame because regular use of the product I noted on the vents can keep them clear and extend life span. Sadly you encounter folk that have a dead PC or thing and you open it up and the heatsinks are clogged. Higher temps were expected on gaming laptops and this only makes it worse.

As soon as you remove all that you can and you tried the generic reset at the top of the forum you are looking at the bad hardware.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks.
by Mcvul / December 19, 2012 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: About canned air.

Bob,

Thanks for the help. My laptop is pretty clean and I have maintained it. After the steps done, I'm almost positive that the board if fried. Now onto looking where to purchase one, thanks again.

Collapse -
How have you been cleaning the heatsinks and vents?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

Most owners never open then up.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.