Computer Help

General discussion

Laptop won't come out of hibernation

by drobby2 / April 5, 2009 10:25 AM PDT

I have a laptop running Windows XP. It went into hibernation today and I can't get it out.

I have pressed the power button, which usually works, but not this time.
I have removed the battery for several minutes, but that didn't help.

Essentially, the laptop is dead. I can't get it to turn back on.

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop won't come out of hibernation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop won't come out of hibernation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by FrankQC / April 5, 2009 11:00 AM PDT

If it will -not- boot up and your computer is still on warranty... go back to the vendor and use your warranty.

Seeing as how opening up a computer voids the warranty in most if not all cases.

Collapse -
Hibernation
by Phil Crase / April 5, 2009 10:02 PM PDT

Have you tried removing and then reinstalling the battery? Assuming you have tried function keys i.e.: fn-f3 or fn-f4.

Collapse -
hibernate
by drobby2 / April 5, 2009 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Hibernation

I removed the battery and put it back in. Still does nothing. All it does is briefly illuminate the battery light on the laptop. I have tried running it off the power cord, too, with no luck, so I can't even press any keys.

The laptop was running fine, until we walked away from it and it went into the hibernation mode, and we haven't been able to get it out.

Collapse -
Held Down The Power Button For 20 Seconds?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2009 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: hibernate

As long as the power button is set to "shut down" when held down, the computer should shut down entirely.. If the computer shuts down completely, then it should restart correctly.. IF that occurs and because hibernation is a frequent problem on our laptops, you may decide to turn off the ability to hibernate by accessing the Control Panel-Display icon-Screen Saver tab-Power button-Hibernate tab, then UNCHECK the "Enable hibernation" box, click on Apply, then OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
YOU ARE THE BEST!!!
by shafergie / May 31, 2012 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Hibernation

Removing the battery worked. But I leave it out all the time now or reinstall it?

Collapse -
Windows 7 How to Bring Computer Out of Hibernation or Sleep
by GotChutzpah / December 5, 2009 9:38 PM PST

Windows 7 - How to bring a computer out of hibernation and/or sleep:

Go to START.
Got to CONTROL PANEL.
Click on SYSTEM and SECURITY.
Click on POWER OPTIONS.
Click on POWER SAVER and choose CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS.
At PUT THE COMPUTER TO SLEEP, choose "Never."
Click on CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS.
Double click on "Sleep."
On "SLEEP AFTER," change to "Never."
On "ALLOW HYBRID SLEEP, " change that to "Off."
On "HIBERNATE AFTER," change to "Never."
Click on "APPLY" and then OK."

If this doesn't correct your problem, then the next time your computer shows a blank black screen, press the "INPUT" button on your monitor once.

Collapse -
hibernation problem - try this
by k9willi / May 12, 2011 11:43 AM PDT

I removed the battery, and left it out and used only the power cord,when the blue light showing the cord was connected came on , I then hit the power button and it came on. After it booted up, I went to power options in the control panel, and changed options to always on. hopefully this will prevent this from happening again. BTW, I have an old HP (4yrs.), and have XP OS.

Collapse -
TY :)
by govmnt_hokr / November 1, 2011 2:15 AM PDT

OMG thank you soooooooooo much for this post. This happened to me today and I was freaking out. I did what you said in the post (took the battery out, plugged it in) and it worked. My laptop is booting up as I type this. lol.
Thankies Happy

Collapse -
Calibrating battery...Helped me.
by Haze2468 / March 5, 2012 5:27 AM PST

I left the computer in hibernation...it stayed like that all day. Eventually holding the off button down worked. I then turned on.

Calibrating the battery was some thing I came across in help...Makes sure the battery is working to it's best potential...no problems since. Mine is HP XP Old but Loved!

Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.