Laptops

General discussion

Laptop won't charge battery

by lath / May 5, 2006 11:29 AM PDT

My laptop just suddenly doesn't like the battery and stop charging it!. I do not know what has happened.

It is VPR Matrix 110 200A5. Power port, A/C adapter (19V - 4.74A) are still in good condition. Laptop has not been overheated. The battery is still good (checked with other laptop).

Does anyone have same experience? please give me a hint how to solve it without replacing the motherboard. I tried to search on google but didn't work out.

Thank you,
Lath12

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop won't charge battery
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop won't charge battery
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Happened to me.
by riahsmom / May 5, 2006 3:04 PM PDT

This happened to me with my last laptop. I took it in and they told me that the piece inside that the cord plugs into came loose and they would have to go in, take the whole thing apart and resauter (spelling?) the piece which was pretty costly. Hence, I'm looking for a new one. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
I will check it
by lath / May 6, 2006 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Happened to me.

Thank you for replying.

My laptop is still working fine on AC adapter. But I will check the power cord as your advise.

Lath.

Collapse -
hello
by stewart6 / May 6, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

Greetings.Seems to me that if your adapter still runs the laptop your socket is intact. Also if your battery takes a charge and runs another computer then the only thing left is the charging circuit and unfortunaterly that either requires major surgery or replacing.Sorry not to bring you better news.Good luck. Stewart

Collapse -
Thank you,
by lath / May 6, 2006 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: hello

I guess the charging circuit is integrated into the motherboard. I have opened the computer, measured all voltages at the pins connections (to battery). Only 01 pin has deviance from normal voltage (1.3V vs 1.5V) when pluggin AC source. Perhap one (or some) Diode/cap/trans. has been sorted. Is there any website that shows where the charging circuit locates ?

It seems to me that I have no choice left but replacing the motherboard, which hurts me so much!!!

Lath

Collapse -
My Dell XPS, has the same problem.
by SaltyLady / May 26, 2008 1:34 PM PDT

It is just 14 months old. With mine, though, it won't run off the AC adapter. I was wondering if I could get an extra battery and charge it directly and then work off the battery. It would be a pain, but better than a new motherboard, I think. And how could I charge the battery? Do they have remote chargers, like cameras?
I am in a pickle due to the timing. PLease advise.

Collapse -
If a pickle, then the jar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 12:26 AM PDT

Find a compatible but brain dead laptop that will charge said battery until you can get this fixed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.