Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Laptop with best graphics for 12 year old gamer

by jmppnyc / June 1, 2009 7:59 AM PDT

seeking some info on what type of laptop and which graphics card i should get for my daughters birthday.she loves ganes to play on her computer ,sims,and the like.what memory,harddrive and most importantly graphics should i get her so she will not be outdated in 3 months.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop with best graphics for 12 year old gamer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop with best graphics for 12 year old gamer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best Graphics Laptop
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 3, 2009 7:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hi- a good choice
by jskim22 / June 7, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

Currently for around $2600 you can get a laptop w/ the best gaming + processor around:

Malibal nine series laptop <I dont know how they do this, but its not a scam- 10/10 by resellerratings:

Collapse -
The Proper specs are more important than brand
by TMYDesign / July 6, 2009 9:44 AM PDT

The type of computer and graphics capabilities depends on the nature of the games. Playing games like the Sims requires more system resources than graphics enhancements, although a graphics card with a dedicated memory slot of at least 512MB memory would be beneficial.

Computers now are doing so much more so getting a laptop that wont be outdated in 3 months is nearly impossible, as technology is always changing. Now getting a laptop that will last 2-3 years is a completely different story.

She sounds like a younger child, so I am assuming that she does many things besides games on the computer, such as instant messaging, myspace, facebook, picture and music downloads, etc. These are also things to consider when purchasing a laptop. If she is like the rest of society, she is multitasking and trying to do all of them at the same time. I would like to at minimum a dual core processor. The Intel Dual Core Processors are good and keep the laptop from overheating, as was the issue with Pentium 4's which a few years back were the faster processors for gaming, but terrible at remaining cool and were large and heavy to boot as well.

Look for no less than 2GB of RAM for the laptop. The newer computers, especially Vista machines, will require more resources to run. If you can get out of it, I would advise not getting Vista. If you are stuck getting Vista, look for a 3 - 4GB RAM laptop. They should last the next couple years in resources, and require less of updating in the near future.

Hardrives are pretty large nowadays, I do not see this to be an issue, unless she downloads movies, then I might suggest an external harddrive for her to store movies.

Overall, the brand names are not nearly as important as what is inside the computer. Working in the computer industry, I have seen issues and problems with all brands, including Alienware and Sony. I might also suggest getting it at a place where you can get an extended service plan on it, especially since she is younger. Best Buy offers accidental coverage on the laptops as well as it covers the normal wear and tear on the computer, should anything happen to it within the next 3 years. I hope nothing ever happens, but I speak from experience that within the first 12 months of owning a laptop, I had to take mine in twice for repairs. Its just the nature of the game anymore. Planned obsolescence, they dont make things like they used to. Spend a little extra money on the plans to make sure you are covered.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.