PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Laptop went into sleep mode and now won't wake up!

by tagmandbagm / August 22, 2010 1:43 PM PDT

I was using my laptop when the screen filled with alternating vertical grey and brown lines. It then shut down and I haven't been able to get the screen to display anything. I can hard boot...and the system will start up but the front LED display shows the "moon" symbol so I assume it is going directly into sleep mode. I have tried the power button and holding down F5, F8, and F10...but nothing happens. I have inserted the system restore disk and the disc turns...the hard drive LED symbol indicates activity for a moment and then the "moon" symbol shows again. The system then sits running for about 3-4 minutes and shuts off.

FYI...this did happen once before and I let it sit overnight and it started up again. The screen indicated the "windows did not shut down normally" screen...and I then started it normally and it ran for one day...until tonight. I will try to wait overnight again...but obviously something is wrong with the system.

If anyone can offer some advice...that would be much appreciated.

My system is a Certified Data MS-1222 (which by the way I would suggest to everyone to NEVER buy Certified Data because they offer no support forums or any driver support...they scam you into taking it to London Drugs because it is proprietary to them...for even the most routine service because there is no way of fixing it yourself...there I said it...that felt good)!

I am running Windows Vista.

Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop went into sleep mode and now won't wake up!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop went into sleep mode and now won't wake up!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I've seen this in the past
by Steven Haninger / August 22, 2010 10:05 PM PDT

I remove the battery, wait a few minutes, re-install the battery and start the PC. See if that works if you haven't tried it already. FWIW, I've learned that hibernate/sleep mode are not all that reliable and always shut down completely when done with a laptop. So I wait a little longer for the restart. No big deal.

Collapse -
Laptop went into sleep mode and now won't wake up!
by tagmandbagm / August 26, 2010 5:11 AM PDT

Thanks for your response. I tried this...but it didn't help. I took the battery off...left it overnight unplugged...but still the same symptoms.

Collapse -
Your computer
by samkh / August 22, 2010 10:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
Didn't work!
by tagmandbagm / August 26, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Your computer

Thanks for helping.

Interesting that you found the system. Mine looks slightly different than the picture...although the side of both of those editions look identical to mine. I can't find the information which would indicate which one it is...from the bottom of the PC and can't turn it on to find out. I will assume it is the PR210 YA Edition...since mine has Vista Home premium and not business.

The problem is though...that I can't even get a picture. I did hook up an external monitor...and have no signal present. The same symptoms exist...with no activity other than the Power light goes on...the hard drive LED lights up for a moment...then the "moon...sleep" LED stays on. There is no other activity other than eventually it will shut off altogether.

Any other ideas?

Collapse -
No more ideas
by samkh / August 26, 2010 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work!

besides one last desperate attempt to see if a dead battery might be the cause. Take out battery and try to power up using AC adaptor only. If results are the same, you have essentially exhausted all user fixable actions. Sorry.

MSI computers are only so so in build quality. Good desktop mobos but that's it. Next time spend on one of the majors like Acer, Lenovo, Dell, HP or Toshiba. Support will be better too.

Good luck.

Collapse -
No such luck
by tagmandbagm / August 27, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: No more ideas

Tried the removal of the battery. Still nothing. Guess it's a paperweight now!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.