Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop Vs Desktop Performance

by VirusFighter / April 24, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

So here's the thing, I keep hearing about desktop replacement laptops but I never see a direct comparison between a laptop and a desktop. Granted, for a similar price, you could get a much better desktop computer than a laptop. However, I'm wondering how these new hardcore laptops compare to desktops. For example, what would be the desktop equivalent(as far as perfomance goes) to the new Dell XPS M1710. Anyone have any input on this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Vs Desktop Performance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Vs Desktop Performance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No contest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2006 1:13 AM PDT

No notebook holds top speed AMD or Intel dual core 64-bit CPUs with RAID arrays spinning at 10K or faster hard disks. Yes, you might see that Alienware but you are more than welcome to research what happens to said unit in year 2.

We can also fit 4GB or more in desktops.

But back to reality. Most use will do fine on today's laptops except for nuclear simulators.

Bob

Collapse -
Desktop Vs. Laptop ...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 26, 2006 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No contest.

Well... it's difficult to compare.

Yes, a desktop CAN be more performant than a laptop, but think to this :

Before the applications need 4 GB of RAM, it will make many many years that I will be an ingeneer in data processing ( I'm 14 years old Wink ).

You can have the same RPM hard-drive on a laptop.

In processors perofrmances, the Core Duo overpass the Pentium 4 Extrem Edition 3.73 Ghz performances and the mobile processor classes right after the Athlon 64 X2 so this tell you everything !
http://www.clubic.com/article-33767-8-intel-core-duo-dans-votre-pc-et-viiv-attitude.html

But yes, maybe you'll have better performances in games with a Desktop than a laptop. But the XPS M1710 can be very very close from a desktop with its GeForce Go 7900 !

Collapse -
RE: Desktop VS laptop
by willr / April 27, 2006 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Desktop Vs. Laptop ...

your only 14 how the hell can you afford Dell XPS M1710!! Silly

Go shuttle pc man!!! Grin

Collapse -
Notebooks verses Desktops
by colo39 / April 27, 2006 8:09 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Desktop VS laptop

I have both a laptop and a Desktop. The Desktop is a P4 XP pro 2.8 gig with 1 gig of ram and the laptop is P4 XP pro Centrino 1,73 Kh with 1 gig ram. The Desktop has 29 running processes and the Laptop 50 running procesess. The Laptop has all those extra processes running to control power useage, and is noticeably slower than the desktop. There is no way I can close down all the power management processes in the Laptop.

Collapse -
Close, but no cigar... (well, maybe a cigar butt)
by jerseydog / April 27, 2006 8:40 PM PDT

I'm on my third desktop replacement notebook from HP. The performance is excellent for all applications I run, with the exception of gaming - LCD displays are just not fast enough to keep up with CRTs. That's not to say they can't run games, I regularly play Half-Life 2-based FPS games like Day of Defeat on it and it does a respectable job, just not stellar. One MAJOR problem with a notebook of this caliber is heat - the reason I'm on my third machine is that the first two died (fortunately while still under warranty) due to overheating. The first machine (zd7015us) had to be sent in for service 5 times in the first year before HP simply replaces it with another (zd7380us), which had to be sent in for service 3 times, it died again two days after getting it back from the last service, and HP again replaced it, this time with a zd8200CTO (That's "Customized To Order). During my (many) conversations with HP's customer service, I was told that since they pack so much "stuff" into these little packages, that they are PRONE to overheating when playing video games, and in particular "World of Warcraft". I've always made sure that none of the vents are blocked, and now in the third incarnation I see where HP has added more vents, a third cooling fan and the rubber feet on the bottom are taller to keep the box up higher off the desk. So far this new machine has not had any problems running any app, they seem to be getting better and better, but I think if it's all-out performance you're after, go with a desktop. If it's portability you want, get a "normal" notebook. If you're looking for a balance between the two or have a limited budget (that's my case, could not afford/justify buying a desktop AND a notebook) then go with a "desktop replacement" notebook. Also be aware that this type of machine is HEAVY - my load clocks in at over 20 lbs. when travelling with what I consider "necessary accessories", 10 of which is the machine itself, and that battery life is poor, maybe 90 minutes if not taxing it, 60 if playing games.

Collapse -
Thx
by VirusFighter / April 28, 2006 2:21 AM PDT

Thanks guys for all the replies. Info is def helpful and will come in handy!

Collapse -
Difficult choice..?
by QS G4 / April 28, 2006 2:27 AM PDT

What it honestly comes down to when you're thinking about grabbing a desktop or a laptop is what you want the computer for. I have a laptop because it allows be the ability to take it with me, but the fact is I rarely take it out of the house. For the $800 I paid for the laptop at the time, I could have gotten a desktop with 25-50% better performance in the graphics arena. The same holds true today. If you want performance, get a desktop. The equivalent "desktop replacement" won't perform as well still and with battery life usually lasting under a few hours, it might as well be a desktop anyway.

Collapse -
It's a normal overheating ...

You have a Pentium 4 dekstop processor in your HP zd7xxx and zd8xxx. It's normal that it becomes very hot - it's a desktop chip !

A mobile chip as the Intel Core Duo never overhating ! You must really overclock it to make it overpass the 65 degrees !

My father has a Intel Pentium M Dothan. The highest temperature that I ever seen with this chip was about 57 degrees. My father was doing a big task in photoshop or a simialr task ...

Collapse -
OVERheating is NOT normal...
by jerseydog / April 28, 2006 10:13 AM PDT

Yes, it is a desktop chip - it's sold as a ''desktop replacement''. Normal is to heat up, but a machine should be designed so that it does not OVERheat. The original zd series had two cooling fans and a few vents - now there are THREE fans and vents all over it. I think HP got tired of replacing machines under warranty and did a complete redesign of the case. And actually, it was not the CPU that was failing, it was the video chip. The first two models had nVidias the current one has the ATI. So far, so good - I play Day of Defeat on it almost every night, and I'd say the machine is on a good 12-14 hours a day since I got it in December. For a little insurance, I always prop up the rear of the case about 2 inches off the desk and when it's in the expansion base I put a small wedge between the back of the base and the case to give it more breathing room: http://www.jerseydog.com/pix/hpwedge.jpg

Collapse -
Ask you this question :
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 29, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

Why did HP unload this model of its shelves?

Because they realized that P4 in a notbook was a big mistake.

Now, they put Core Duo in their desktop replcament laptop. Why ? Because you must overclock it up to 3 GHz to make it overheat ( with the 2.16 GHz version ). And if you have a good cooling system with the AOpen motherboard, you can overclock it up to 3.2 Ghz and maybe 3.4 GHz.

You should not place a little wedge as you do. The expension base must be normal with no little tool to cool the laptop. You should simply put de laptop on the expension base and connect it. Why you do this : because you don't want to overheat the laptop beacause you have the Pentium 4 desktop chip who raises the temperature about 75-80 degrees ( the normal temperature in a laptop is 60-63 degrees on full mode and about 30-40 degrees on idle ).

The majority of desktop replacement has 1 or 2 fans and 1 vents. Look at the Dell Inspiron 6400 with the integrated IGMA : it has only 1 fan to cool the entire laptop. And you know what : even if you play a DVD, the fan won't turn on ! Maybe with the X1400 the laptop will have 2 fans because it's a dedicated graphics controller so it makes more heat. And you know which processor it has inside the beauty ? A Core Duo processor. And the Core Duo has 2 chip on 1 die ! TWO chips on 1 die ! Your Pentium 4 has 1 chip and the temperature grew up to 80 degrees ! The Core Duo has 2 and the highest temperature that we can see is about 65 degrees ! Imagine if you have a Pentium D ( two Pentium 4 on one die ) in your laptop ! I only don't want to imagine the poor laptop ...

Every Pentium 4 laptop SHOULD ( to don't say MUST ) have a Cooling pad under it for security. It's almost a must have.

I don't say that you bought a very bad laptop and avoid it, but you should buy a cooling pad to keep it in safety and to prolong his life. Because more the other components are affected by the high temperature, faster they will breake and you will must spend many dollars to repair your zd8000.

Collapse -
Too true...
by jerseydog / April 29, 2006 7:46 AM PDT

Yes, you're right. Shouldn't have to do that, BUT - as you say it was a mistake to put a P4 in a notebook. However, over three years ago when I bought the first zd7015 it seemed like a good idea, and the dual-core processors were not available in a notebook. To HP's credit, they stood behind their mistake and have replaced TWO notebooks AND my original expansion base (the zd8200 was not compatible with the old base) and a spare power supply. A cooling base is a great idea, but one cannot be used in the expansion base, hence the wedge to provide more airspace. If I had it to do over (and someday I will!) I'll go for a dual-core machine.

Collapse -
P4 not suitable for laptops
by willr / April 29, 2006 8:25 AM PDT

Im running a compaq/hp laptop with a 2.8ghz P4 Processor and Ive never had any problems. 2 fans/vents and it does warm up but never to that temperture (70+). Its on for 8+ hours a day, running photoshop files and 3-D modelling software and if I have time games like battlefield. Still it hasn't cooked so far (16 months)

Collapse -
Desktop vs laptops
by sr71mach3 / November 13, 2008 2:20 PM PST

you have a good point laptops would be the same speed but laptops do way more processes I also beleave the 14 year old on the parts and specs. Because look @ solid state drives. Also laptops have less distance for the info to travel. So in short It is the processes that kill the laptops speed

Collapse -
I don't have a M1710 ..
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 28, 2006 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Desktop VS laptop

But I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 :

Dell Inspiron 6400
Windows XP Media Center
Core Duo T2300
1 x 512 MB DDR2
ATi Mobility Radeon X1400
15.4" TrueLife Display
80 GB

Collapse -
My experience
by danjamker / April 28, 2006 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Desktop Vs. Laptop ...

A couple of years ago I need to switch my main computer from desktop to laptop, so I bought a state-of-the-art laptop, which still works great. BUT.
1) ATI doesn't support the 128MB video card (there is a guy out there who rewrites the ATI drivers for mobile cards, not exactly a professional solution).
2) I do graphics and I can't upgrade the video card.
3) I recently wanted to add a second drive so I could move the pagefile off the system and drive and the manufacturer (Sager) no longer makes the compartment to hold the drive (and you can't put the pagefile on an external drive).

Bottom line, if you want upgradeability and don't NEED to have a laptop, stick w/the desktops.

Mitch

Collapse -
False comment in your post ...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 28, 2006 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: My experience

You said :

''there is a guy out there who rewrites the ATI drivers for mobile cards, not exactly a professional solution''

The guy that you're spaeking about is certainly the guy who made the OMEGA drivers. Only one thing : OMEGA drivers are better than ATi Catalyst drivers and delivers arround 50-100 points of more in 3DMark... They generally run higher framerates than the regular Catalyst ones.

Collapse -
Desktop vs Laptop
by kal9000 / April 28, 2006 5:35 AM PDT

Back in 1987, my first 3 PCs were laptops (mostly for work), and I thought they were great. Then I got my first desktop, and have been using them ever since (I still own a laptop for the odd trip where I would need one). So, to me, the key advantage of laptops is "Mobility/Portability". In my opinion, Desktops are far, far better than Laptops. Why?
Power and Space... Two elements that affect customization, expansion, maintenance and cooling.
- Laptops are Almost impossible to fix, clean or upgrade yourself.
- Power-consumtion considerations put Laptops at a disadvantage: They cannot have the most powerful processors, memory chips, audio and video cards nor the biggest/fastest drives. We rarely get them with more than one hard disk, and will never see them with Two CDs/DVDs (At least not with present technology).
- Heat-related problems are more frequent in laptops.
Consider the following;
LESS space = more heat = more cooling = more power = MORE space????
Each two adjacent parts of the equation are correct, only the first and last parts together are NOT.

Having said all that, get both when possible, and if not, the best thing to say is: To each his own. You are the only one to know what you really need, and what compromises you're willing to make.
That is until the next breakthrough in technology.

Collapse -
It all depends
by treefrog_06 / May 1, 2006 1:00 AM PDT

There are several things that you must remember when trying to compare a desktop to a laptop:

It is not only a matter of 'specs' but a matter of what and how do you want to work with a pc.

Is it comfortable enough? i happen to have a dell d800 (wide screen, 1920x1200 px, 80gb hd, 64mb video, 1.7ghz M processor, dvd burner). It fits my requirements, it is comfortable enough due to the fact that the keyboard is not a 'zipped' one. This laptop disk is a 4200rpm disk, so sometimes it is slower compared to a desktop.

But it also has a built-in wireless card, helps a lot on several situations.

On the other side, I can work easier and faster on my desktop, but it is not easy to take it along with me for several reasons Happy while that I can do with my laptop.

Hope that helps, everybody will have a different opinion, you will make yours as well, the most important thing is to feel greate when you have done your purchase.

Collapse -
In regards to power
by jelgert / May 5, 2006 8:18 PM PDT
In reply to: It all depends

Any info on this would be appreaciated but I've heard that the merom processor is the be the main high end processor for the Intel line when it comes out now if this is true and forgetting about hd speed and graphics cards(yes I know these are relevant) but in theory this would put the same processor in both desktops and laptops allowing the same computing power. As for laptop part inferiority as compared to the desktop couterpart well I'd have to say of course they are your using a machine built to give you the best performance but while maintaing a relativly low temperature and well the price of power until they figure out how to work it otherwise is heat or in other words energy. And well with a laptop you have less room to dissapate the heat naturally and thus either have to wait for technology to catch to make a chip of comparable strengh anyways all common since stuff. Anyways you buy a laptop for portability like a few have said and it will always be more portable than your destop even the 17-19" version that are 12 pounds are lol but those really will fry their hd every year or so as someone else mentioned. But anyways my word is basically this if you want a good computer to go into your room and lay back on your bed and use or just move around the house take the laptop and a good quality one if you want to do some things with it if you want to run all the new games and the best stuff take and portabilty doesn't matter to you take the desktop its not to hard to upgrade on your own but if your running the top parts b4 the heat reduction technology for them comes out you might want to look into a lot of fans or some other type of cooling for them anyways hope that jumble helps anyone out there trying to pick between the two. As a few have said to each his own.

Collapse -
Just PC
by makoy239 / October 29, 2007 5:36 PM PDT

As a student much better I choose destop because it is economy reason. More spare parts to be buyed. Another reason is enviromental friendly and can afford at a low cost.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.