Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Laptop Touchpad; Can I disable it?

by sidel1932 / March 18, 2012 2:04 PM PDT

I purchased a new laptop (ASUS-X54C-BBK3) to replace my old XP Desktop. I have attached a mouse as my pointing device, and generally have no use for the built-in touch pad. In fact, the touch pad is a nuisance when I am typing on the keyboard; I frequently inadvertantly brush against it while typing and the text I am typing gets very messed up.

I have temporarily made a crude workaround by taping an old 3.5" square diskette on top of the touch pad. However, I would much prefer to simply disable the touchpad somehow. Because I have the crude workaround, I would be hesitant to permanently disable the touchpad, but I would be delighted to be able to disable and re-enable it. Down the road I might opt to permanently disable it if that were available, but temporary disable were not possible.

I'm hoping for an answer on what can be done and how.

sidel1932 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop Touchpad; Can I disable it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop Touchpad; Can I disable it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by sidel1932

Collapse -
This varies with the make and model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 8:54 AM PDT

Here on my laptop, the maker supplied an app to set the pad settings. One of then is to disable the pad when we plug in a mouse. Very nice but not standardized.

Collapse -
Thanks - that led me to a solution for my laptop(s)
by sidel1932 / March 26, 2012 10:43 AM PDT

Thank you. Your response that there was a solution on at least SOME laptops led me to check further on what might be available on mine. I checked with the vendor, and he pointed me to a function key on my keyboard that toggles the touchpad ("trackpad") on and off. Problem solved on my laptop. When I got home, I checked for something similar on my wife's Acer Aspire5920 laptop. I found that it also has a function key that toggles the touchpad off and on.

I am delighted, and it was your response that made me think to ask the vendor. Thank you.

Collapse -
In Control Panel . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2012 8:50 AM PDT

Open Mouse Properties. Yes, mouse properties.

Collapse -
Thanks. I'll have to look into this.
by sidel1932 / March 26, 2012 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: In Control Panel . . .

Thanks. I didn't see this until just now. Meanwhile, I found a solution which is quite easy for me.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.