TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Laptop to TV, not full screen

by Kisenwether / January 2, 2012 8:11 AM PST

I recently bought a Panasonic TC-P50ST30 and when I try to connect my laptop to the tv via HDMI it does not display full screen.
I have the resolution of the laptop set to 1920x1080 and the laptop has a Radeon HD 6970M also running Windows 7.
I have been searchings for hours and I cant find a solution to my problem so anyone with any ideas it would be great.
If anymore info is needed just let me know.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop to TV, not full screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop to TV, not full screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2012 8:14 AM PST

To save time, give a link to the product manual. For most I have to set the input to some PC setting/name or some overscan setting to zero.

But I don't know the menus by heart.
bob

Collapse -
Page 49?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2012 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Link please.
Collapse -
Update
by Kisenwether / January 4, 2012 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Page 49?

I still haven't found a solution to my problem I looked in the manual and couldn't find the fix, I tried a few things but wasn't successful.

Collapse -
Can't help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Update

While I did see the Advanced Settings, Zoom and more this does not mean I can re-write this to a push that, change that instruction.

I suggest if the maker's support fails you as well you should return the product.
Bob

Collapse -
Check p.50 in the manual Bob posted
by Pepe7 / January 4, 2012 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Update

Did you try using the 'Contents type' setting (HDMI 1-3) on p.50? It states it should be used for on-screen display of connecting equipment via HDMI. I bet that will do it.

Collapse -
Found Solution
by Kisenwether / January 5, 2012 9:41 AM PST

I fixed it, after calling Panasonic and they said that this TV was not designed for a computer hook up since they didn't put one on it, made me dig in all the settings I could and I found it. Well wasn't a setting on the TV it was with the Underscan was set to high and making it smaller. Feel dumb at this point but just glad I can experience full screen with my computer.

Thanks for all the input and help you guys have done.

Also Pepe7, I already had it set to Computer name, I asked the rep at Panasonic and they said that its just a label doesn't affect anything with the picture but after seeing that I found a way to get full screen with a computer, the labels might change the way the image is displayed but I already had it set that way.

Collapse -
That's good news
by Pepe7 / January 5, 2012 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Found Solution

Happy to hear you found a fix(!)

It's probably not the first time a phone rep bailed on knowing what can and cannot be done with one of their devices ;).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.