Laptops

General discussion

Laptop takes forever to boot up...

by nivlac79 / June 9, 2006 10:14 AM PDT

Problem: Laptop takes forever to boot up. After I hit the Power button, sometimes it hangs for 30 secs to 2 mins before it the system starts to boot. I wonder if this is caused by the hard drive? Time for a replacement?

I've had this laptop for almost 2 years now. It was new when i bought it. It's a Toshiba Satellite M35x-s161. I've been using it quite a lot.. sometimes i leave it on for days...

Thanks,
Calvin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop takes forever to boot up...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop takes forever to boot up...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Heat sink
by crash900s / June 10, 2006 5:14 PM PDT

I find that when my laptop gets hot it runs slowly and on my old laptop when the fan broke it started randomly shuting off. It could be that you just need to wipe your hard drive or that you are now runnign larger more intensive programms that take longer to boot up but, if you want your laptop to last you may want to invest in a cooling pad with external fans and some cans of deionized air to clean your fan off. You can get the cooling pads pretty cheap on ebay and the cans of air anywhere.

Collapse -
Possible solutions for laptop taking to long to boot up
by Ashis777 / December 16, 2008 6:45 AM PST

Dear Calvin,
First of all you probably won't listen to a 13 year old but forget that. Your laptop can a long time to boot up due to the programs which it takes to start up. Depending on your operating system some start up faster than others. You might want to consider buying some extra ram. Leaving it on for days should't affect it I think. Finally you should for sure defragment your harddrive. Fragmented files slow down you laptop and use your harddrive. Even my computer takes a long time to start up. Xp should run faster than vista. Mine is vista, I adjusted which programs start automatically and it has helped. Just remember if you're going to take something out of your laptop ask a professional to diagnose the problems which is causing all of this slow booting up. Hope you listen to my advice if not ask someone else . Happy to help!
from a.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.