Samsung

Question

Laptop suddenly getting "Resolution Not Supported"

by colorsfade / March 23, 2013 2:34 AM PDT

I have a Samsung 46" 1080p LCD TV Series 5 (LN46C530) TV that is about 2+ years old now.

We've been using my wife's Windows 7 laptop to watch Netflix for the past 1.5 years. We hook the PC up to the TV via the HDMI. This has worked for the past 18 months, no problem.

The other night, we hooked up the HDMI cable and received the "Resolution Not Supported" error.

I've tried every resolution on the laptop, and nothing changes. I have 3 HDMI cables (one for the XBox, one for the DVD, one for the PC). I've tried them all. Same error.

Thinking maybe something was broken on the TV, I hooked my own Dell Laptop up this morning 1440x900. It WORKED.

So why is my wife's laptop - which we have used faithfully for the past 18 months - suddenly NOT WORKING?

Nothing has changed on her laptop. No software updates, nothing. The TV isn't hooked up to the internet, so no automatic updates of any kind to it. The wife's laptop just doesn't work with the TV now.

Any ideas?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop suddenly getting "Resolution Not Supported"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop suddenly getting "Resolution Not Supported"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

1. Turn off the TV and unplug it. Why? HDMI means HDCP and we've seen the chips seem to get confused and lock out good sources. Sorry if I take a moment here to write that HDMI and HDCP is consumer unfriendly. The makers deserve every phone call and return on this issue!

2. Try that laptop on another HDMI display.

3. OK back to the one that didn't work. Now that the TV has has no power or connections for a bit, hook up the power and then the laptop and try again. The laptop MUST work on other displays or this won't work here.
Bob

Collapse -
TV on/off
by colorsfade / March 23, 2013 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the usual.

The TV has been on/off a lot the past couple days since this happened. Even so, I unplugged per your directions and no change when turned back on and the laptop rejoined to it.

Unfortunately, I don't have another HDMI device to try the laptop agianst. We're a one-TV house... That was one of my first thoughts though, is that I'd like to see if another HDMI display also reports the same issue, but there's just no way for us to test it.

Collapse -
Then you see the problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: TV on/off

Unless you can test this laptop with something else, the problem appears to be the laptop. And troubleshooting that is a discussion on its own.

I'd ask a friend to let you try it on their display.
Bob

Collapse -
But if it's the laptop...
by colorsfade / March 23, 2013 9:28 AM PDT

If it is the laptop though, what really could it be? What are the possible issues? Just the HDMI connector on the PC's built-in VC?

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 11:11 AM PDT

But I can't diagnose what I can't see or touch. The most common problem I encounter is "I didn't change a thing." So I look at it again and try the Fn key to enable the external (some owners scream that can't be it and we hand the laptop back until they are ready for the service work) and we try bootable OSes that we don't have to install.

But until this is tried on another display, a little mystery.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.