Laptops forum

Resolved Question

laptop stops while working, then pressing sleep button twice

by Rtouseef / April 21, 2013 12:42 AM PDT

My laptop e725 on windows 7 32 bit stops working suddenly when I am using it, particularly when I am connected to internet. It does not shut down though and I do not lose my work. It just stops working and when I press the sleep button it goes to sleep, on waking it up I get the log in screen and all my work/windows are as they were. I changed my OS twice and formatted C drive but it did not resolve the issue.

Rtouseef has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop stops while working, then pressing sleep button twice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop stops while working, then pressing sleep button twice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Rtouseef

Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

This looks like a 3 year old laptop so this should be about the 10th or so pass with the canned air cleaning. It could be in need of repair but let's hear if you are doing your own maintenance.

Collapse -
more info
by Rtouseef / April 21, 2013 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell a little more.

Yes Bob, the laptop is more than 2 years old and I had no idea about the maintenance needed by laptops. I would like to be informed if there is any other regular maintenance required apart from canned air cleaning. Also, should cleaning solve my current problem? Your reply is appreciated.

Collapse -
Beyond the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

When it comes to maintenance there are a few schools of thought. Those that want to do nothing and want for it to fail before doing anything. Canned air is like your oil change in your car. Your choice as you can go very far without maintenance.

As to the current problem it's not a typical problem but I always hope for more clues to narrow it down so I lead with one of the usual items that can cause a lockup.

Collapse -
Given to a repair shop
by Rtouseef / April 22, 2013 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Beyond the usual.

Thanks for the reply Bob. I gave my laptop to a repair shop today. I asked him to do a maintenance hoping that it would solve my problem. He says that maintenance wont solve my problem as my laptop does not shut down due to heating. It just stops working and pressing sleep button twice gets it back to running state with all windows open. He says there can be a motherboard problem. For now I just asked him for regular cleaning and maintenance. Will update on the condition when I get it back.

Collapse -
Here's a new member that is now a convert.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Given to a repair shop
Collapse -
Issue NOT resolved
by Rtouseef / April 26, 2013 3:05 PM PDT

Dear Bob,

I got it cleaned from a repair shop, he even checked for circuitry on my motherboard and said he fixed it. But I faced the same problem at home. Next day I took the laptop back to the shop, he again cleaned, applied some paste/tape for over heating (which was not the issue I was facing) and checked the circuits on the mother board. He used the laptop to show me that it is fine now. But I insisted on connecting to internet. I connected by wireless internet tethered by my Phone. And there, the same problem, it stopped responding until I hit sleep button twice and logged in again Sad So he said that it might have a virus. So I baked up my data, formatted ALL drives, but it did not resolve my problem...... (frustrated now)

Collapse -
Then it's some hardware issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Issue NOT resolved

I'm unsure what folk mean when they format a drive as that does not restore an OS. And it may not wipe out a rootkit.

If it is software and this was a restore with the factory OS, then it's almost a sure thing that the machine is in need of repair such as a new motherboard.

Before we do any of this, at 3 years you want to replace the BIOS or CMOS battery just because it's helped a few times. You may encounter clients that want a sure fix. For them we won't try this battery and move to a new motherboard and wipe the drive, restore the OS. If that doesn't fix it we swap out the hard drive and optical drive. Pretty expensive but it's always fixed it.

Collapse -
by Rtouseef / April 27, 2013 1:33 AM PDT

Dear Bob,

I really appreciate your help on the matter and the know how of pc maintenance . My issue was resolved as I used my laptop today. I moved to firefox from chrome for browsing and for some reason I could use the laptop with internet without any trouble. Using chrome I faced the problem once but now I was trying hard to make the system stop by using chrome but that did not happen :).

And by saying that I formatted the drive I meant that I deleted everything, even the operating system (sometimes even changed the whole hard drive to RAW format then formatted to NTFS/FAT 32 and then installed the OS afresh from a DVD) so as to make sure there is no software issue.

The only minor issue I see now(after taking the laptop to the repair shop) is top of the screen sometimes flickers and I can see a little of the desktop through the browser window. But I can live with that Cool

Collapse -
There's a slim clue in your reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Resolved

I wonder if this is an old issue about flash. But until now I didn't read anything that would tell me to share this. But if you are looking at any site with flash content and there is trouble you want to research the following and disable it in flash as well as in chrome.

The research phrases are as follows.

Disable Flash hardware acceleration.
Disable Flash hardware acceleration in Chrome.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.