Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop shuts off 2 seconds after booting and repeats..

by andrenapster / July 28, 2009 1:31 PM PDT

Hello all,

When I press the power button on my laptop the green led lights and the fan starts and in 2 seconds it shuts off, and then starts doing the same pattern over and over.

When I push very hard just below the power button, the laptop starts until I take the pressure off. On the other side of where I push is the part in the motherboard that's the closest to the battery, so I suspect something that's responsible for the power.

Btw, it does not make any difference if I run the laptop on the AC or the Battery..

My laptop is acer aspire 7520.

Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop shuts off 2 seconds after booting and repeats..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop shuts off 2 seconds after booting and repeats..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2009 8:23 PM PDT

I really must make a sticky post about this. Here goes.

Laptops are made of just a few "parts." I can't write this over and over but will until I make the sticky post.

We have the power brick, display panel, main board, keyboard, drives, cables and the other tiny bits and that is what is changed out when you have a failure. Today, it's how these are fixed.

Your failure sounds like an intermittent connection or device on the mainboard. Price out a replacement mainboard. Acer is the source for the part.
Bob

Collapse -
I Have the solution to your problems
by Jastar828 / January 24, 2014 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

Ok to get this fixed you will first need to press the power button on the PC hold down the ALT key and keep taping the F8 button till the computer reaches the password screen ( no time should pass after you turn on the computer immediately hold down the alt key and keep tapping c8 key)

Collapse -
I had an issue with my Acer awhile back and
by orlbuckeye / July 29, 2009 5:44 AM PDT

I thought it was the motherboard. I called a local laptop store and they quoted my at around 300 for an Acer 9810. Mine was starting up with the Acer screen and then the screen switched to black and hung. The problem turned out to be bad memory and not a motherboard. It happened again an the first thing is did was pulled out a memory chip and it booted. I had an extra 2 gig memory chip so i stuck it in and it's been working fine for a couple of months.

Collapse -
Thanks orlbuckeye..
by andrenapster / July 29, 2009 8:03 AM PDT

I wish it was a problem with the RAM, it's like the easiest thing to fix plus I would've bought bigger ones.. Happy

But no, I tried to use both of the rams I have separately with no luck. It's definitely something with the power, the laptop doesn't even show me the 1st screen (acer screen) it shuts off before.. I don't think it checks the RAM or anything in that stage.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Collapse -
Similar problem
by BumTiTTy / December 22, 2009 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks orlbuckeye..

Mine powers off a few seconds after starting up and goes into a loop for about four times in a row then stops. It does not get to the BIOS. If I keep turning it on, eventually, maybe when it gets warm, it works fine for ages.

Same for battery or mains power. But doesnt loop as many times on battery, hows that for power saving!

I will try some new memory first then the motherboard. I had some blue screen messages before as well.

Collapse -
aspire 5520 doing the same thing
by amandacarol420 / October 4, 2010 6:47 AM PDT

removed hard drive it will not even get to post before shutting off. tried everything except taking it apart to check every plug. i know it is hardware issue just whih one any ideas?

Collapse -
clean your RAM
by paul1149 / March 8, 2012 3:40 AM PST

I know this is a late follow-up, but I just tried something I had heard of a while back. Take your RAM out and clean the contacts with an eraser. I had this problem on two Acer One D250s, and the common denominator? I had taken the ram out and put it back in. Evidently doing so upset some tenuous connections. Now I've got the machine back

Collapse -
Possiible Solution: Worked for me.
by joejoe930117 / January 28, 2013 11:39 PM PST

I understand that the OP probably does not need this information, but for others that search this problem like i did and need an answer:

Try taking out the Wireless Card. In an HP Pavlilion PC, this was the cause of the problem. There was supposedly a known problem with this that is no longer being taken care of by HP.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1641 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2014 11:58 PM PST

This thread is more than 1641 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, if you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can make a new post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.