Computer Help forum

Laptop running slow, choppy audio/video

by MikeBradleyS / January 17, 2012 8:47 AM PST

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505 with an Intel Core 2 Duo at standard 2.10GHz and 4GBs of RAM, and over the past few months it's been getting worse and worse with anything dealing with audio or video. It seems like the CPU is being bottlenecked in some way or another because if I run any program that is CPU intensive it gradually begins to lose performance.

For example, if I open up Firefox and go to YouTube and try to watch a video in 720p, the video will eventually become extremely choppy (like 5-6 fps choppy) and the audio crackles badly. If I close the tab and open a new one and try to watch it again, it will do the same thing and Firefox will run slow until I completely close it (kill the process in Task Manager) and allow the CPU idle process to go back to 98-99%. I've watched the Plugin Container for Firefox's CPU load while watching videos and it randomly jumps between anywhere from 10%-60%.

It's not only Firefox, however. Any program (games, media player, Zune software) will slowly decrease in performance until it's pretty much no longer usable if it involves audio or video. Sometimes when trying to watch movies in WMP, the audio will become out of sync with the video due to the video framerate drastically dropping and the audio will also begin to crackle badly. It's impossible to simply listen to music with Zune because the audio is immediately crackly and slow. The only program I've found that I can safely listen to music or watch movies with without completely losing performance is iTunes, which is odd.

This is a new issue, which wasn't very noticeable at first, but it's gradually gotten worse to the point where it's a hassle to do anything on my laptop. Even Firefox with a single tab of Facebook open has trouble running smoothly with the scrolling sidebar now. The clock on the taskbar will also begin falling behind the longer the CPU is under a heavy load.

I've tried dusting and cleaning out the fans because I thought maybe the CPU was overheating, but I checked the BIOS and temperature and it holds a steady 40 degrees Celsius on average load, maybe peaking around 44 or 46, which isn't exactly too hot that it should be losing performance on the level it is. I've tried checking for Spyware, clearing caches, restarting, defragging, cleaning the registry, etc, all the conventional methods for speeding up a computer and nothing has helped.

It seems like this may possibly be an issue with something a Windows automatic update changed or possibly drivers, because I haven't had any of these issues until the past few months and I've never experienced this with any other computer or laptop I've owned.

I need help from someone with knowledge of PCs apparently beyond me, so any advice would be appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop running slow, choppy audio/video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop running slow, choppy audio/video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
"cleaning the registry"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 9:05 AM PST

That's something we may have done in 1995 but today? Good way to create issues.

I'd like to hear more about what's installed. Imagine the suprise at Overclocking advice
where we opened up a few logs and found software conflicts.

Collapse -
by MikeBradleyS / January 17, 2012 9:12 AM PST

"Cleaning the registry", as in using Glary Utilities and tuneup programs to check for errors/conflicts and dead registries. I somehow got the "Vista Security 2012" virus one time a few months back and it messed up a lot of file associations and added some registry entries for the virus that I had to fix, so I've had to be sure there wasn't anything left over.

And any logs in specific?

Collapse -
Those cleaners
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Logs?

Are not helping folk here. They tend to create rather than solve issues. If you were running Windows 95, 98 or ME then it did do something. But that all changed years ago. Your choice to use them but moderators here seem to never touch them.

Collapse -
by MikeBradleyS / January 18, 2012 3:30 PM PST
In reply to: Those cleaners

I only used them in the first place to clean up virus associated entries that were causing issues and creating broken file associations. Otherwise, I don't mess with the registry. There are still a few broken entries leftover that I can't get rid of that are completely empty.

Collapse -
HiJack This log
by MikeBradleyS / January 18, 2012 3:26 PM PST

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 12:56:17 AM, on 1/19/2012
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6002.18005)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TANU\TANU.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\DivX\DivX Update\DivXUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSwMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\x86\SetPoint32.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\distnoted.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\SyncServer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: PC Tools Browser Guard - {472734EA-242A-422b-ADF8-83D1E48CC825} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spyware Doctor\BDT\PCTBrowserDefender.dll
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe,
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Winamp Toolbar Loader - {25CEE8EC-5730-41bc-8B58-22DDC8AB8C20} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Defender BHO - {2A0F3D1B-0909-4FF4-B272-609CCE6054E7} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spyware Doctor\BDT\PCTBrowserDefender.dll
O2 - BHO: Increase performance and video formats for your HTML5 <video> - {326E768D-4182-46FD-9C16-1449A49795F4} - C:\Program Files (x86)\DivX\DivX Plus Web Player\ie\DivXHTML5\DivXHTML5.dll
O2 - BHO: XfireXO Toolbar - {5e5ab302-7f65-44cd-8211-c1d4caaccea3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\XfireXO\tbXfir.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Winamp Toolbar - {EBF2BA02-9094-4c5a-858B-BB198F3D8DE2} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp Toolbar\winamptb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: XfireXO Toolbar - {5e5ab302-7f65-44cd-8211-c1d4caaccea3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\XfireXO\tbXfir.dll
O3 - Toolbar: PC Tools Browser Guard - {472734EA-242A-422B-ADF8-83D1E48CC825} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spyware Doctor\BDT\PCTBrowserDefender.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TANU] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\TANU\TANU.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] "C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [cfFncEnabler.exe] "C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\cfFncEnabler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DivXUpdate] "C:\Program Files (x86)\DivX\DivX Update\DivXUpdate.exe" /CHECKNOW
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Winamp Search - C:\ProgramData\Winamp Toolbar\ieToolbar\resources\en-US\local\search.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype Plug-In - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype Plug-In - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: wlpg - {E43EF6CD-A37A-4A9B-9E6F-83F89B8E6324} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\AlbumDownloadProtocolHandler.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Web Camera Service (camsvc) - TOSHIBA - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Web Camera Application\TWebCameraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Gadget Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFProcSRVC.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
O23 - Service: @dfsrres.dll,-101 (DFSR) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\DFSR.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveShare P2P Server 9 (RoxLiveShare9) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxLiveShare9.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Modem region select service (RSELSVC) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\rselect\RSelSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\SLsvc.exe,-101 (slsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\SLsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA HDD Protection (Thpsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\ThpSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Navi Support Service (TNaviSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER\TNaviSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Optical Disc Drive Service (TODDSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\TODDSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Power Saver (TosCoSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TosCoSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA eco Utility Service - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TECO\TecoService.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert Service - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert\TosSmartSrv.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Zune Wireless Configuration Service (ZuneWlanCfgSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\ZuneWlanCfgSvc.exe (file missing)

End of file - 11193 bytes

Collapse -
I see no antivirus but also
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2012 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: HiJack This log

PnkBstrA is not needed most of the time. And it looks like the WMP Media Server is running (wmpnetwk). You might have another media server beyond that (Zune?)

I'd exit PnkBstraA, Steam, turn off the WMP media sharing and if you don't have a Zune, uninstall that then retest.

I'd also re-consider getting some antivirus protection.

Collapse -
by MikeBradleyS / January 19, 2012 5:14 AM PST

Punkbuster is usually off unless I'm playing something that needs it, so I'm not sure why that's running. But it's only using less than 1,000K memory at most when it's on, and for some reason I doubt that's causing many issues.

Closed the WMP Media Server, it seems to pick up our other laptops a lot, but also, not bad on resources.

I'd normally have Steam exited unless I'm using it, but people try to contact me on it also. It's probably the biggest background resource hog I have running though.

And I'm assuming it's probably the Zune Auto-Launcher you're talking about, but I have no Zune processes running that I can see with the Task Manager or Process Explorer, even with "Processes from all users" checked. Zune is normally not running unless I have the player up, which I can't use anymore due to whatever the issue I'm having is because the audio is unbearably choppy.

However, I've already tried closing all of this before. I've put it right down the essential services in debug and safe mode and I still have performance issues.

Collapse -
Let's go after the hardware then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2012 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Programs

Have you been religious about use of the CANNED AIR on the vents every 6 months?

As the C2D heats up it slows down to protect itself.

Collapse -
by MikeBradleyS / January 19, 2012 7:15 AM PST

Not quite religious, but I've always kept them fairly clean before I started having this issue. When I first got performance drops I did a pretty thorough cleaning of the fans and vents as well as checking the CPU and mobo for anything foreign that may have gotten lodged inside somehow. Since then I've tried cleaning it again about a month ago, but the issues have still been as bad as ever.

I'm not sure, but there may also be a possibility that a Windows update or bad driver could be causing the issues?

Collapse -
Yes. But.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2012 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Dust

The story sounds like heat. Even if the dust and all that is OK, I've found machines with the heatsink lifted off and the CPU temps are fine. If you suspect a driver, can you tell why? We never update a driver just because Windows Update offers it and the symptom does not match.

Collapse -
by MikeBradleyS / January 19, 2012 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: Yes. But.

I can check and make sure everything's seated correctly, but I started having issues before I ever checked the hardware to begin with and everything looked fine when I did.

Drivers for hardware in this laptop are hit or miss if I ever find any and I updated on my own to the newest versions I could find after I started having the issues, so I guess that's not as much of a possibility.

People having problems with Windows updates changing things without their knowledge and causing performance issues is not unheard of, with Windows being how it is to begin with.

This also seems like a heat issue to me as well, but looking at diagnostics and the BIOS, the heat usually isn't over 40 C.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.