Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop running slow

by EZED3354 / July 19, 2009 2:23 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 with an AMD processor running on DSL. I have noticed the system is running very slow. Can you advise me on how to trouble shoot the system and possibly speed the system up. Thank you!

Toshiba Satellite A215
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL60 2.0GHz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop running slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop running slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
help for u
by TobySutton1 / July 19, 2009 6:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop running slow

1. try running a program like ccleaner

2. run a virus scan

3. defragment your hard drive

4. do a disk cleanup

5. restart your computer

thats really the only thing you can do withought replacing hardware

hope it helps

Collapse -
Laptop running slow
by EZED3354 / July 20, 2009 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: help for u

Collapse -
Laptop running slow
by monion5 / August 14, 2009 9:01 PM PDT

I had a similar problem and I tried a lot of things. What I did was I backed up my harddrive, important files to an external hard drive and re installed my operating system. has a free manual on how to do it.

But remember, you will lose all the data on your computer, but the laptop will be back to optimal speed.

I hope this helps

Collapse -
performance tweaks
by dgg55 / August 20, 2009 1:37 AM PDT

You might try changing the paging file to a different size. I would also suggest running malwarebytes.

Collapse -
by 7889ag / August 30, 2009 2:00 PM PDT

Do every thing Tony says.. every month, every 2 weeks. But be careful with that registry cleaner, get some decent instruction before you delete any registry items. Malwarebytes and AVG for free protection. Peace

Collapse -
A very useful program to use!!!!!
by Ross Quinnell / September 20, 2009 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: help

I love is advance system care it is for free and dose not expire and there is a paid version if you want the extra features. It has lots of useful tools to keep you machine running smooth .It has a reg cleaner ,defrag ,ram optimizers ,system optimizer , and so on.

Collapse -
Laptop Running Slow.....
by hboltjr / December 24, 2009 3:59 PM PST

Ross Q, in your reply, you stated the following:
"....I love is advance system care it is for free and dose not expire and ....".

I'm arriving very late to this forum topic and hope that "hope is still alive" so I can get an answer to my question.

I'm not sure what the name of the program you were giving good marks to.
Can you repeat it? Or, anyone one else who know what he was referring to.

Thanks in advance................Hez

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.