Computer Help

Question

laptop purchase/warranty

by vpenna624 / November 16, 2012 2:05 AM PST

I was being impulsive due to needing a laptop as soon as possible, and I bought a laptop last night at Fry's. I bought a sony vaio i7 SVT113118FSX, 6G of Ram, and I had them put a 250 SSD drive in it. It was out of the box and was a display model not a return. I am concerned now since reading a few reviews saying that sometimes the windows system just no longer recognizes windows 7 and just crashes.

My dilemma is that there is a 15 day return policy, and I have no warranty. If I get the frys extended warranty for $250 for 2 years, it does not cover incidental damage but does cover if it just stops working, and wear and tear, or internal battery replacement. But most one year laptop warranties are also not covering incidental damage.

I am wondering if I should return this laptop and get a new one with a warranty, if I should keep the one I have and get the fry's warranty, or if I should just keep the laptop which is running fine and risk it with no warranty.

The laptop was $1099 then I paid another $260 to have the 250SSD installed ( parts and labor), the warranty is 250/2yr, 299/3yr.

I really just want a laptop that is a PC (has to be Windows 7 due to program requirements), super light, preferably solid state, superfast (but I don't game), i keep my files on dropbox, but like to have some extra storage (256G i preferable), and I like 13", and my budget is around 1300 since I paid 1500 for my sony vaio S series ( i7, 640 G, 8 G ram) and my dad agreed to pay for a replacement laptop. ( warranty cost I would pay for myself).

I just don't really understand if I am being ahead of the curve if I get a i7 or if I should get an i5 since i am not doing lots of threading. PLEASE HELP! what is the best option?!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: laptop purchase/warranty
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: laptop purchase/warranty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Your choice but here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 2:28 AM PST

We began to have issues with the i7 based laptops at the office and on a lark (actually something we know about) we set Windows to limit cores to 6 rather than the 8 the i7 has. The machines have straightened up and are now very reliable.

I don't think any warranty work could have done as good a job as this simple setting change.

Since https://www.google.com/search?q=SVT113118FSX only finds this discussion I can't comment more.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry!
by vpenna624 / November 16, 2012 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Your choice but here.

I added another number in the model by accident sorry, sony vaio svt13118fxs it is a dual core, and I am not sure if I understand what you are suggesting I do. Can you explain more?

Collapse -
What I noted does not apply to a dual core i7 Ultrabook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2012 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: sorry!

You should be fine. Although I'm unsure I would have dumped that much into a laptop like that with other i5 ultrabooks running less. Example at http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Series-SVT13112FXS-13-3-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/B0080C225Q

That's less than 800 and I own a model that uses a similar 32GB drive. It's really great.

Your selection is almost double the price yet I worry it's not double the machine. For my selection I could use it till it died and with the money saved, buy a new thing in a few years.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.