Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

Laptop or Ipad - What's Best?

by DementedAunt / February 17, 2012 2:49 AM PST

I'm having trouble with my laptop which is just over a year old. It was working fine until I let a 6 year old play games on it and she dropped it. The system crashed and fixed itself but some of the programmes disappeared. Since then it closes unexpectedly with a warning that Windows is shutting down for some convoluted reason that I don't understand and am too old to learn about.

DementedAunt has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop or Ipad - What's Best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop or Ipad - What's Best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by DementedAunt

Collapse -
They may be the future but today, some discover....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2012 3:06 AM PST

Today I'm finding some folk did no research and did not ask the BIG questions. For example, did the iPad run fameville? Many flash games do not work on pads.

Some folk expected to do pretty much what they do on a laptop and that's where the pads begin to fail.

Here I have pads and laptops. I can't see using just a pad exclusively.

Collapse -
What should I look for in a laptop?
by DementedAunt / February 17, 2012 7:33 AM PST

Thanks Bob. Your reply seems to confirm my own feelings that a tablet is more compact and portable but a laptop is more versatile, so I'll start looking at laptops.

Collapse -
Today, there is a deluge of very nice laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2012 7:40 AM PST
Collapse -
While I too would go with ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 17, 2012 11:14 AM PST

a laptop you might consider a tablet pc such as the Inspiron duo. I have used one but do not own one. I liked the one I used but prefer regular laptops as touch screens (like touch pads) start doing things I never intended as I have tremors that double click when I don't intend any clicks at all.

Also the Dell Latitude XT3 Tablet PC:

There are several by different manufacturer's such as Fujitsu Lifebooks, Panasonic Toughbook, HP Elitebook, Acer Iconia, and others to look at and choose from. A Google search for Tablet PC would help you out but just to see some of what is out there in a convertible tablet/notebook take a look at these offered by Newegg:

This gets you the (debatable) best of both worlds. Wink

Collapse -
Choices, Choices.....
by DementedAunt / February 18, 2012 1:40 AM PST

So many choices. That's the trouble with all these gadgets. There seems to be no recognised standard for those of us who aren't tech wizards. Those tablet pcs look just like laptops to me. The only difference I can see is that the screen is movable and some things can be controlled by touching the screen rather than using the keypad. No doubt those features are a great scientific breakthrough and probably won accolades for the designers but for the likes of me it just means having to figure out what can be controlled by touching the screen and what can't......more stuff to learn! Are they lighter to carry than a laptop? I don't do all that much travelling - just fancied bringing my computer with me when I do and airlines are getting very stingy with baggage allowance.

Collapse -
Replacing the laptop with ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 18, 2012 4:37 PM PST
In reply to: Choices, Choices.....

another like it would give you what you are familiar with.

Trading the child for the new laptop sounds like a good idea too!

As for those convertible laptops like Dell's Inspiron Duo, you can either do everything you normally would as a regular laptop or you can do everything with the touch screen as it also has the touchscreen keyboard. I definitely would not allow a small, careless child to play with one though.

Collapse -
Replacing Laptop
by DementedAunt / February 19, 2012 9:05 AM PST

I was careless. The child did what children do - got distracted and knocked over the laptop. Moshi monsters games are a great help when you're babysitting but I'll know better next time.

Collapse -
by rife_geek / March 19, 2012 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Replacing Laptop

i chose the laptop better and you said you go out taking your laptop with you so you need something ultra portable and great performance , i were looking forward to get an ipad 3 , but i found it's kinda useless compared to a small notebook , have a look at this HP , i recommend it for you , it weights 1.6 KG , and as i said it has nice performance for 1080p videos on youtube or local on PC
i recommend the configuration (choose the E-450 processor to add just 25 USD) to be 425 USD total price

Collapse -
by Guilherme_luz / February 23, 2012 12:21 AM PST

Actually, it depends to what you will use:
The iPad are things that lap tops are notand the things that have leptops iPad do not.
But if you just want to surf the internetNo need to spend much to buy an iPad with alap top and be happy!

Collapse -
Buy Non Proprietary Hardware
by MikeDavis9999 / March 16, 2012 1:19 PM PDT

There are many manufactures who only make laptops.

Sager has machines that will last for years at affordable prices.

I have had many myself and know of hundreds of others over 15 years.

Above all stay away from Proprietary hardware! Dell, HP, Compaq etc.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.