Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Laptop keys remapped after plugging in wireless USB keyboard

by roark08 / February 27, 2013 8:33 AM PST

I plugged in my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 5000 into a new Asus S400CA ultrabook. However, some of the keys on the laptop keyboard itself have been remapped. For example, pressing 'j' gives me a '1' and pressing 'i' gives me a '5'. The problem remains even when I unplug the wireless keyboard.

Can anyone help me figure out where the root of the problem is? Is it the wireless keyboard driver? The Asus keyboard driver? Something else?

I have the laptop dual booting to Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 and the same problem exists in both OS's so it's making me think the issue is somehow related to either an older driver used by the wireless keyboard or something with the Asus driver...?

Thanks for your help.

roark08 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop keys remapped after plugging in wireless USB keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop keys remapped after plugging in wireless USB keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by roark08

Collapse -
Num Lock Mode
by roark08 / February 27, 2013 8:59 AM PST

Found the issue and it's neither an OS nor keyboard driver issue. Turns out the way you put the Asus S400CA into num lock mode is fn (second key from bottom left) + num lk (2nd key from top right). Probably other laptops as well. Somehow I hit those 2 by accident, maybe by closing the lid. Num lock mode turns some of the keys into a number pad like you'd have on a big keyboard, as a result, j=1, k=2, l=3, etc. If you ask me, this is a strange feature.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Wikiseals / April 15, 2013 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Num Lock Mode

I have a different Microsoft USB keyboard and an HP laptop. I was having the same issue and turning off num lk worked for me too. Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.