Laptops

General discussion

Laptop is making strange noises

by LiQuiD_FuSioN / August 14, 2007 4:06 AM PDT

I can't tell if it's the fan or the internal HD that is making the noise. The sound it makes inside is like clattering, or grinding.

Thinking that it's the fan, I'll use an air spray can to try and remove any dust inside. This works temporarily, but it doesn't solve the problem completely.

Also, I noticed that depending on what applications I run or if I let it sit idle, it will affect the noise it makes inside.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop is making strange noises
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop is making strange noises
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make and model of the hard disk please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

If you had supplied details I could have supplied a link to a hard disk fitness test but before that I suggest you do your usual backup that everyone does. Then you are ready for the usual hard disk failure.

Hard disks are cheap to replace before they fail and could cost thousands instead of under 100 bucks if we want to save the files from the failed hard disk.

Plan ahead instead of reacting to the failure.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Laptop is making strange noises
by LiQuiD_FuSioN / August 14, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

What kind of details would you like? Just in case: It's a Sony Vaio VGN-S360, 512mb RAM, Pentium M 1.70 GHZ, 80GB HD.

And yes, I've already backed up my files, so I am prepared if anything happens.

Collapse -
The model didn't reveal the make/model hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 4:32 AM PDT

Go use BELARC ADVISOR or EVEREST to pick up the make/model of the hard disk.

Then use google.com to find it's maker's web site and possibly their test software. I'm stepping out so you can do that without my help.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Laptop is making strange noises..
by LiQuiD_FuSioN / August 14, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

Oh, I'm sorry, R. Proffitt! I didn't read the subject line in your reply.

I'm looking in the Device Manager window and it says it's a FUJITSU MHT2080AT.

Btw, I just now saw your new reply. I will go ahead and see what I can do from here. Thanks for putting me in the right direction.

Collapse -
JUST SAW YOUR REPLY. HERE'S THE TEST (link)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 4:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Laptop is making strange noises...
by LiQuiD_FuSioN / August 14, 2007 4:50 AM PDT

I ran a Fujitsu diagnostic tool and the HD passed with flying colors.

So, that only leaves the laptop's fan itself that is the cause of all the noise.

*sprays more air into the side vent*

It's running quietly now, but it will probably change soon. It makes me worried because the fan could very well just stop spinning while I'm away. And then everything would be ruined due to overheating.

Collapse -
Just read your new reply too!
by LiQuiD_FuSioN / August 14, 2007 4:52 AM PDT

I already ran a diagnostic tool on Fujitsu's main site, but I will go ahead and test it again to be sure. Wink

Collapse -
Same Problem
by fabiorival / September 8, 2007 8:44 PM PDT

A couple of days ago, the same thing has happened to my Fujitsu laptop - buzzing sound from the fan or HDD - mine having a Toshiba HDD. I've already run diagnostics on the HDD but it comes out clean. The sound is more audible when it runs intensive apps. I guess the next step is opening up the laptop (or getting a new one).

Collapse -
Just a note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2007 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

One owner didn't like the tick tick sound as the hard disk heads moved. For them I found the ACOUSTIC setting in the maker's hard disk tool. It does quiet it down but at the cost of slower seeks. It all depends on what you want.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.