Internet Service Providers forum

Laptop INet access 200 feet from home with extender

by Swampgal / August 14, 2012 6:12 AM PDT

Now on Cox INet high speed (laughlingly said...get message "website needs to close" frequently), have Arris modem and D-Link but signal to studio fails about 50 feet from house. Have Dell PC and new Inspiron laptop. What "range extender" should I get and how will it work ? First grade terms, please, I'm not really good about computer "lingo"....LOL
Was told, when ordered home networking, that it would easily reach studio 200 feet away. On installation was told again it would reach. Had problems, was told a third time it would reach. The fourth time I was told it only works in the house. Did I say I was not good on computers ??? LOL

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop INet access 200 feet from home with extender
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop INet access 200 feet from home with extender
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Wireless range
by pgc3 / August 14, 2012 6:25 AM PDT

That could be a tough one because impediments, walls, metal, trees etc. etc. can create signal blockage issues. So location of router might make some difference in what kind of range you might be able to acheive.

Collapse -
Wireless Range
by Swampgal / August 15, 2012 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Wireless range

I was told that after the last Cox person said it was just for use in the home. He mentioned getting a "wireless signal expander" to boost the signal or and "air card". What "expander" is best, how is it installed ie: do you have to drill a hole in an outside wall, plug it into an outlet on an outside wall, put it in the attic, do you need to connect any wires to the PC or anything else, etc.? As to the "air card" I am totally useless.
Have read about both of the types but get confused. Am over 70, was happy with phones that were just used to call someone and actually talk. Trying to get caught up with this computer, IPod, etc. wording. Just need something to be able to use my new laptop in my studio in the back yard.
If I'm too "outdated" to be on this forum due to my lack of knowledge of terms used please let me know.

Collapse -
200 feet is considered 100 feet more than the usual WiFi
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2012 6:25 AM PDT

Did you try powerline networking?

Collapse -
200 feet considered 100 feet more than the usual WiFi
by Swampgal / August 15, 2012 1:12 AM PDT

Have heard about WiFi but didn't consider it until I received a laptop and couldn't use it in my studio. My first post explained what I was untruthfully told by Cox and I believed them till I found it didn't work as promised. That is why I need information about wireless signal expanders and air cards that the last Cox rep told me I could use to boost the signal.
I have no idea what you mean about "powerline networking". The term powerline, to me, possibly means digging a line and putting wiring in it, or stringing a line from the house to the studio. Neither is an option due to the layout of the property.
I don't mean to sound stupid but consider me as a kindergartener trying to learn to drive an airplane where computers are concerned. I might be on the incorrect forum, however, so please guide me to where I should be if you need to.

Collapse -
So you need to look again at powerline networks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2012 1:29 AM PDT

I use them when I need to span a distance but there are some rules about how they work. Your comment about digging a trench tells me you didn't find a good article about this.

In short I plug one unit in the wall socket in the home and another into the studio. Now I connect the ethernet cable to the one in the home and then to my router.

Off to the studio to plug in the other powerline adapter and to see if the connection is made.

This is a good forum but it's not "tech support" as in you get to do a little work on your own. That is, you may have to catch up on products folk mention.

--> So if the powerline adapters are on the same AC branch, we're done.

Collapse -
So you need to look again at powerline networks
by Swampgal / August 16, 2012 3:08 AM PDT the glimmer of hope you gave me. So, you plug this "powerline network" into any wall outlet near the computer, then connect an "ethernet cable" to this "p. n" in the wall outlet and to the router. Then you plug a second "powerline network" into any wall outlet in the studio and check if the laptop can access the INet. Correct ?
So.....what is a "powerline network" and an "ethernet cable"and where do I get these ?
I have a Cox Arris router on the floor under my desk connected to a D-Link next to my PC, printer and metal filing cabinet. My wall outlets are above my desk and all connections go through an opening on my desk along the wall of my desk all connected to my Dell PC. The "ethernet cable" will need to be long enough to stretch about 5 or 6 feet. What Cox did not tell me was I was not supposed to have the router and D-Link on the floor between the PC,printer and metal filing cabinet that are in a room on the opposite side of my house from my studio....the laundry room and freezer are on the side of the house nearest the studio !!! They installed this stuff themselves !!!

Collapse -
Again: re: powerline adapters
by Swampgal / August 16, 2012 3:23 AM PDT

Just caught the last sentence you wrote....."So if the powerline adapters are on the same AC branch, we're done."
Do you mean that if I get all my electrical power for the house, studio and hubby's shop from the same electrical power pole in the front yard I will be on the same AC branch ??
Or do you mean I must have the same electrical current line in the home breaker panel connected to both the PC and the studio ??? I have a separate power line to my studio with a separate breaker in the breaker panel....this goes to a totally different direction I wasn't aware of. Might mean I need to see about getting an "air card" ??????

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

But if you find web pages about powerline networks they cover all this. I can't rewrite it over and over and apologize to those that upsets.

About the air card. Sure if that cell carrier works, why not? Sounds expensive to me (add it up!)

Collapse -
by Swampgal / August 16, 2012 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

You posted: "But if you find web pages about powerline networks they cover all this. I can't rewrite it over and over and apologize to those that upsets".
My reply: A simple name for a gadget would have been fine but I WILL search.
As far as I can haven't written it over and over to the point you have to apologize. You mentioned it one time and I asked one time.
I'm a newly retired nurse (72 years old) who has worked long days and sometimes week-ends and haven't had the time to play with computers so if I have upset anyone...for that.... I ,myself, apologize for mis-using your time and expertise and of wasting the time of others.
Thanks for the help you did give me.....

Collapse -
Power line
by bill012 / August 16, 2012 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

This is actually a fairly complex topic which is why he recommended you search since it is impossible to know what level someone understands there power panel....tends to be less than people who can setup a router.

The short answer is it does not need to be on the same breaker but it must be on the same hot power leg coming from the transformer. It works best if it is on the same breaker which does not appear to be a option in your case. Also from your previous comments be careful not to put it on the same circuit "ie breaker" as things like your freezer or washer.

Collapse -
How powerline networking works is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2012 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Well, a deep subject. For most folk I find they can try it pretty quickly. I haven't had any issue if the feed was not from the same breaker. I have seen it fail if it's on the other phase of 220.

I hesitate to write about this in any depth due to what's already been written. I apologize for that.

It is the simplest solution I know of that has worked well of a few hundred feet.

--> WiFi on the other hand is hit and miss at those distances. It's a shame those you have spoken with have not pointed that out. It might work, but at that distance I would not count on it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.