Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop HDMI to AV receiver for audio? Whats wrong?

by Davidf26 / June 9, 2009 7:28 PM PDT

Can the HDMI port on my laptop be connected straight to a receiver for audio only? Has anyone does this? I'm only looking to play the audio from the laptop through my receiver if its possible. Thankkkkkks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop HDMI to AV receiver for audio? Whats wrong?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop HDMI to AV receiver for audio? Whats wrong?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't know why not . . .
by Coryphaeus / June 9, 2009 7:52 PM PDT

The receiver strips the digital audio out to play it. But this audio must be from a proper A/V source like a DVD. It won't work to play just music.

Collapse -
laptop is the source?
by Davidf26 / June 9, 2009 8:03 PM PDT

but then in this case isnt the laptop a proper source? it is feeding it both video and audio but only looking to strip the audio? is there more to it than that?

thanks

Collapse -
More to it . . .
by Coryphaeus / June 9, 2009 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop is the source?

You cannot use the HDMI to play pure music like .wav or .mp3 files or CDs. There's no way to get that music into the HDMI signal. If you want to play the sound from a movie DVD then you can do that.

Collapse -
If have my laptop going to my Bose speakers using
by orlbuckeye / June 9, 2009 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: More to it . . .

the same jack as my headphones. I also have my TV the uses AV1 cables from audio out on tv (rt and left) to Aux audio in on my surround sound receiver. You may be able to find a cable with one jack on one end and 2 on the other. Just plug the 1 into the audio out on the laptop and the 2 jack end to the reciever right and left audio cables.

Collapse -
clearer description?
by Davidf26 / June 10, 2009 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: More to it . . .

Ok I have the laptop connected to my tv via hdmi, then the tv's audio connected to my receiver.. however to get sound out through the receiver i need to have the tv turned on and on that specific hdmi input which gives me sound and a duplicate desktop screen on my tv...

I ONLY need the sound and not the video which is why im trying to hook up the laptop directly to the receiver..

What is the connection that can make this possible? The one I'm trying is HDMI-out on laptop to DVD-in on the receiver.. So i know the hdmi is feeding the receiver both audio + video, I just need it to use the audio alone?? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Here's a pickture.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2009 11:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
PS. Can't tell what make, model receiver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2009 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a pickture.

It may be the reason why it doesn't work.

Collapse -
Models/ Makes
by Davidf26 / June 10, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

Laptop - HP Pavilion DV4
Receiver - Sony 5.1 Ch STR-DG510

btw i know this can work via 3.5mm to RCA but im trying to get digital audio via the HDMI cable if that makes it any clearer... thanks

Collapse -
Very clear now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2009 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Models/ Makes

No it doesn't do that. Part of HDMI is all about HDCP so without the TV the HDCP step of the handshake fails and it's game over. Here's why. The Protected Audio Path is required if a lossless audio bitstream was output so without the HDCP device in the chain it should work sporadically if at all.

Let's be clear there is NO TECHNICAL REASON why this can't work. It's all about DRM, HDCP and more. I must decline writing a tutorial about all these TLAs but at least I see where the issue is now.
Bob

Collapse -
damn that sucks
by Davidf26 / June 10, 2009 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Very clear now.

thanks alot tho and thanks to everyone who responded.. i guess i have no other option than analog audio with the 3.5mm to RCA Sad

Collapse -
sending only audio using HDMI from laptop to receiver
by bombersblvd / February 17, 2010 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: damn that sucks

Hi,

I have the same exact problem you mentioned here a few months ago w/ regard to wanting to play only audio signal via HDMI from laptop to receiver w/o having to turn on the tv and w/o using RCA cables:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?threadID=345618

Was curious, were you able to find a work around to deliver the hdmi signal w/o turning on TV? Assuming this is not possible based on the responses to your post, but was hoping there had been some new development since your last update. Thanks.

Collapse -
can't believe i found this thread. i think i found a fix!
by ghostdogg310 / November 28, 2011 5:32 PM PST

i literally spent my entire Sunday figuring this out. just bought a yamaha rx-v471 digital receiver and wanted to connect my windows 7 laptop to it. ran into all the problems above before finding an almost ideal solution that may help some of you.

Collapse -
can't believe i found this thread. i think i found a fix!
by rufaelc / June 21, 2015 12:45 AM PDT

Where is the wonder fix dear?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.