Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop HDMI (input/output)

by dadkins8 / August 18, 2010 4:58 AM PDT

I've heard that there are some laptops that have HDMI input/output so we could hook up a PS3 using the HDMI and turn the Laptop into a screen. Does anyone know which laptops do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop HDMI (input/output)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop HDMI (input/output)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
None.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2010 1:23 AM PDT

Just back from a trip through a few Asian countries and this is not a feature of any laptop made.

There are COMPONENT to USB devices but the LAG would cripple game play. A HDMI display is the cheap exit.
Bob

Collapse -
hey take a look at this one Acer E220514
by vinisfus / September 8, 2010 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: None.

Acer 15.6" Notebook - 4GB RAM, CD/DVD/Blu-rayDrive& 320GB HD

Q V C WEB SITE THEY HAVE IT

Collapse -
Looked at it. Just HDMI OUTPUT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2010 10:57 PM PDT

Please link to the product and quote the specifications so I don't have to do any research next time. There are reasons why laptops do not have this feature. And it is the same reason laptops never has VGA "INPUTS."
Bob

Collapse -
Look at this one Bob
by Vladimir_Ulyanov / October 22, 2010 12:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Dead link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at this one Bob

Still can't find units with HDMI input. So far this appears to be the domain of displays and not PCs or laptops.
Bob

Collapse -
So try a little harder
by Vladimir_Ulyanov / October 22, 2010 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Dead link.

Not sure what you are looking at Bob, but the Eurocom Panther has HDMI input. Read the specs. Look at their ad. It is a feature they are promoting. I'm sorry that the link I posted collapses and requires that you click a second time to see it -- but you are just plain wrong on this, and I'm laying the evidence out for you see.

Maybe this link will survive a posting:
http://hothardware.com/News/Eurocoms-173-X7200-Panther-20-Gaming-Notebook-Has-HDMI-14-Input/

But Google will get you there too.

V

Collapse -
"world?s first notebook manufacturer to offer an HDMI 1.4 In
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: So try a little harder

"world?s first notebook manufacturer to offer an HDMI 1.4 Input port in a notebook."

That's good news. This means there is only one laptop made today that does this.

This means the OP doesn't have to research further!
Bob

Collapse -
Actually no ...

It means this is the first, and Eurocom has subsequently released a second, and maybe others have too ... First doesn't mean only.

V

Collapse -
And then there were 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually no ...

Given this discussion is now getting dated (August was a long time ago) the world moves on.

Thanks for updating this.
Bob

Collapse -
No thanks necessary
by Vladimir_Ulyanov / October 22, 2010 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: And then there were 2.

For the record, Eurocom is wrong in claiming 'first' with their August release of the Panther -- the Sager NP8120 offered HDMI input back in March.

V

Collapse -
Now 3 possible units.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 9:25 AM PDT

Beware that you check out what this HDMI input does. Some want to use it to record HD content.
Bob

Collapse -
Gamers
by Vladimir_Ulyanov / October 22, 2010 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Now 3 possible units.

Seems that it is gamers driving this trend, looking for a screen to attach their PS3 et cetera to. And all of them use the same ATI chipset, again advertised as being 'ideal' for gamers.

V

Collapse -
Dead end for that use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2010 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Gamers

Recording from protected HDMI streams is only done via hacks and more. Given this I'm surprised that any company would not detail exactly what their HDMI does and not suffer nearly 100% return rates.
Bob

Collapse -
Not what I said
by Vladimir_Ulyanov / October 23, 2010 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Dead end for that use.

Not sure why you think I said anything about recording. I didn't. And the promotional material for the laptops I described is clear in describing the input allows the screen to be used like a monitor. Like I said.

V

Collapse -
I added this. You may want to know why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2010 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Not what I said

When folk ask for HDMI input they may want to record. I added this so folk would not assume recording that input is going to be easy or possible.
Bob

Collapse -
HDMI port on new Dell XPS laptops
by gilgomez / December 3, 2010 10:24 AM PST

Just got my new XPS17 laptop last weekend and it has an HDMI 1.4 display port.

Take a look at their website for more info.

Collapse -
I phoned Dell and asked
by hithere61 / March 11, 2011 5:30 AM PST

I phoned Dell about 2 weeks ago and asked if any of there laptops here in the UK surported HDMI input and was told NO so will check the model that u quote , thanks and does the PS 3 work OK on it ?

Thanks Chris

Collapse -
Just an FYI
by meva999 / December 22, 2011 2:45 AM PST

Old thread but I looked for a long time before finding this so I figured I would respond. Both the Alienware M17xR3 and the M18x have HDMI input. The output and input are two seperate ports... On the left side there is an output and the right side has an input and advertised as working with devices such as PS3.

Cheers,

Collapse -
Thanks
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2011 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Just an FYI

This August 2010 discussion is now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.