I have a Dell XPS M1530 Windows Vista laptop. While watching a video
for a class online, the laptop froze and would not respond to anything,
including Ctrl/Alt/Delete. I manually turned it off by holding the
power button. When I turned it back on, it made the usual sounds it
does while starting up and reaching the desktop, except it was not
showing anything on the screen. So I shut it off again by pressing the
power button. Now while trying to turn on it has been stuck on the Dell
logo screen with the bar only a quarter full. I'm afraid to mess with
it anymore until I can get help on what to do.

I'm really hoping I won't have to lose any memory because I have some very important work on it I have yet to back up.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop froze, now stuck on Dell logo screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop froze, now stuck on Dell logo screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by mopscare42 / August 11, 2011 11:41 AM PDT

Turn the computer on and start tapping the f8 key before anything even shows on the screen. If you get that far and you see a menu, Arrow up to Safe Mode and hit enter and wait until you see a desktop. It won't look the same as what you are used to.
If you can get that far, type in system restore in the Start search box. System Restore should come up, click on that .once the restore screen comes up, just follow the prompts and restore to a time and date before the trouble started.
That may or may not fix the problem, but it's a good starting point and you won't lose any data or mess up the computer.

Collapse -
(NT) Will the data after the restore date be lost?
by nigeltwist / June 8, 2012 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore
Collapse -
Re: loss of data
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 8, 2012 6:30 AM PDT

No. You won't lose any data with this system restore built into Windows. Worth a try. But my guess is that you won't even get far enough to see that "Windows options menu".

If that very important work is still on your hard disk (most likely) you certainly will be able to get to it one way or another. So no need yet to worry about that.

Collapse -
Same problem; but with XP Pro-see my solution/hope it helps
by PaulZagortz / August 11, 2011 10:31 PM PDT

I had your problem yesterday and solved it. Please see my post at;threadListing

Note: Geek term for "Dell logo screen" is "splash screen:"

In summary,

1) disconnect everything but monitor (that includes speakers, mouse & keyboard) from your computer
2) turn computer off; try and reboot
3) Hopefully you get error message to the effect of "no connection to keyboard."
4) plug in keyboard ...... computer automatically goes to chkdsk and roboots to OS (XP Pro in my case) automatically.
5) If 3&4 above don't work, open the case, pull out the hard drive and put it back.

I sure hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.