Computer Help forum

Laptop freezes at "Starting Windows"

by lemme316 / December 11, 2012 9:55 PM PST

Hello, I I've read the other posts related to this but found no answer.

My laptop HP G6 Friezes at the starting windows screen.

Tried waiting it out- nothing happens
I've tried factory restore -can't freezes at same spot
can't boot into safe mode -same loads windows files and freezes
Tried reinstalling from disk-same loads windows files and freezes
tried different known working hard drive and ram
Tried taking apart re- applying thermal paste and checking for any obviously damaged parts and everything seems fine.
Tried system repair disk- Freezes on "Microsoft Corp"
tried some other things like resetting bios... but specifics slipping mind at moment.

Any ideas what could be going on?
If its a hardware prob, what could it be? Things appear to load. For example when I try to install from disk or system restore I get the windows loading bar before it freezes on "starting Windows.

Or other things to attempt before I give up and make it someone else's problem?

Oh and if Im posting in wrong area please link to correct one.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop freezes at "Starting Windows"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop freezes at "Starting Windows"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you try other OSes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 11:36 PM PST

I usually try Ubuntu from a LiveCD to sniff out if it's hardware or software.

A recent rash of rootkits seem to cause that. The infection can extend to the factory restore which I have to use the restore media rather than the onboard restore.

Collapse -
Check and verify
by Willy / December 12, 2012 2:15 AM PST

What i do is simply use another HD to load the OS, just to see if it's a HD issue. If it loads, then HD is at fault, if it fails with different it's possible the HD controller(mtrbd. side) is at fault. As Robert stated, using a "live version" of Ubuntu properly burnt to a disc to see if it loads at all. if it fails, then some h/w in the laptop is at fault. This also excludes the HD, which is why i posted that info. Alas, HP products don't seem to measure-up as it may fail due to bad design or heat stress, which cause all sorts of wacko issues. Now, if as Robert stated it maybe some malware, then use a bootable version(disc) in order to test and check/scan. You may want to look for Hiren's BootCD, again burnt to disc and use its various pgms. to resolve some issues. Besides any disc media, some flash drive s/w may help. though limited in scope. It doesn't hurt to check HP own support website and see what other users claim problems with, something maybe common.

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.