Laptops forum

Laptop for Software programming

by Bloopink / July 20, 2011 5:14 AM PDT

Hi ,
I'm in search of a new laptop suited for software programming .

Can you please suggest the top 10 laptops to buy ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop for Software programming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop for Software programming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry just 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 5:18 AM PDT

1. An apple macbook pro. That one for a little more than 1K.

2. Any other windows laptop with no 3D GPU and an i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD.

Collapse -
Need more info
by Bloopink / July 20, 2011 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry just 2.

thanks for the instant reply.

But yes can you also suggest the best windows laptop ?

Sony seems to be expensive, but I dont think it is robust unlike HP /DELL .

Its better if you can list me few windows laptop(s) ?

Collapse -
We would have to define best.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more info

For me I'd get the dual core i7 powered Apple Macbook Pro and then install Windows. It's an amazing machine all around and can be the best for most of us.

At the office we just get Dells of all ilk but the programmers tend to the i5 no GPU models. This won't apply to a game programmer.

My HP experiences do not call them robust. I have to bite my tongue here.

Collapse -
laptop for home & office.definitely not for game prgmming
by Bloopink / July 20, 2011 5:47 AM PDT

Cool..thnx for your reply. I may not be able to afford a APPLE budget is only $1000.

Alright can u suggest me good DELL models ?

Collapse -
Define good!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 5:55 AM PDT

The dell i15r line with the i5 CPU often arrives for not much more than 600 with some GPU, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD and more. It will do fine as a programming laptop. Heck even I own one but love it when I get on the Macbook Pro.

Collapse -
really a good advice !!
by Bloopink / July 20, 2011 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Define good!
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2011 6:26 AM PDT

Let's be clear here I love the quad core i7 but new laptop buyers COMPLAIN LOUDLY about heat and no battery time worth writing about.

It would be the fastest thing but you PAY for it with heat and shorter laptop life spans.

Collapse -
good..though it a brutal advice
by Bloopink / July 20, 2011 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: BRUTAL ADVICE.

good..thnk god..u really helped me to get a glimpse on what to buy..

Awesome replies Bob !!

do keep us posted if u find any bettter models suited for programming !!

Collapse -
I have a
by orlbuckeye / July 21, 2011 2:58 AM PDT

2nd generation i7 processor with 8 gb of ram and 128 GB SSD drive and 750GB HD. I installed the SSD drive myself. I love the laptop and I get 4.5 hours of battery life with a 18.4" screen. The model I have is an Acer AS8950G. I don't program anymore but I do use it to VPN into work to support my servers and 3rd party enterprise software systems.

Collapse -
The hot laptop issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2011 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a

Is mostly on those gamer rigs. Run almost any game on those i7 (first or 2nd gen) and you feel the issue pretty fast.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.