Laptops

General discussion

Laptop for Powerpoint presentations

by WWIIBuff / October 12, 2010 7:01 AM PDT

I haven't used a laptop for many years. Now I need one for Powerpoint presentations. All other uses will be secondary.

What specifications should I go for? I don't want to go TOO minimal.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop for Powerpoint presentations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop for Powerpoint presentations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 12, 2010 7:17 AM PDT

It's a minor difference, but do you want to MAKE presentations on this machine or are they only meant to PRESENT them on some beamer (after making them on your desktop or downloading them or whatever)?

Any new laptop you can buy can do much more than. So that's no selection criterion worth the name.

Most beamers have a VGA-input. So your laptop should have a VGA-output. But it wouldn't harm for the future to have DVI and HDMI (that's video and sound combined) also. That excludes some.

Kees

Collapse -
Sony VAIO F
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / October 12, 2010 7:41 AM PDT

Hi there,

As Bob mentioned, most laptops will be suitable for creating presentations. Broadcasting them from your laptop might involve some extra features (depending on how you plan on broadcasting them). If you want something a bit nicer with HDMI, check out the Sony Vaio F. It has a 16.4" screen so it will make creating your presentations very efficient (you can easily have two windows open side by side).

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Thanks
by WWIIBuff / October 12, 2010 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony VAIO F

I'm starting from zero. I need ideas from others on what choices to consider. I can't imagine needing the large screen, but the suggestion is valuable.

Thanks

Collapse -
Dell Studio 15
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / October 13, 2010 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Hi there,

Another choice to consider since you won't be doing much creative work is the Dell Studio 15. It is a very affordable laptop at $649 and it has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. I think it will really suit your needs well and you can easily transport your presentation in one of the ways that Bob described.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
thanks
by WWIIBuff / October 12, 2010 7:56 AM PDT

At this point I only need something for the presentations, not the creative work. But that seems pretty limited. I do my work on other computers. What features would I use to transfer the work to the laptop? I haven't used a laptop since the answer would have been a floppy disk. What's the basic requirement to be able to pick up e-mail and check the weather on-line if I wanted to use the laptop for that?
Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: additional requirements
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Even those are basic.

1. Transferring files to laptop. Via USB-stick or webmail or storage on the Internet (like Google docs and Windows Live Spaces). All laptops have USB and all have browsers.
2. Pick-up e-mail and check the weather needs Internet access and browsers. All laptops have Ethernet and USB for wired broadband and WiFi for wireless. The only issue could be dial-up access. That's uncommon nowadays, so laptops standard don't come with a built-in dial-up modem.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.