Laptops forum

General discussion

Laptop for physics research

by lady_eowyn / July 10, 2010 9:53 AM PDT

I'm looking for a laptop that would serve me well for physics research-related use: mainly running heavy mathematica and maple codes and C/Java-based data analysis programs (so I need a strong and fast processor). If it's a PC, it would have to work really well with a dual-boot linux/windows OS because most physics applications are made for a linux environment.
My other requirements is a screen size of 13-15 inches, weight no more than 5 lbs, ideally a long battery life (though not essential), and a computer that stays relatively cool while I'm using several applications and many internet windows at once.
The macbook pro would obviously be a great choice, but I'm looking to see whether there might be cheaper (under $1000) PC alternatives that would work just as well for my needs. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop for physics research
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop for physics research
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Opposing goals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2010 5:17 PM PDT

High speed would be the current i7 machines but that wipes out the battery hours. And limiting the weight means we can't fit the big battery.

Same for cool. This removes the i7 based units. Try the i5 machines.

Collapse -
Check out this Toshiba Satellite w/ i5
by iTechGuy16 / July 12, 2010 6:53 AM PDT

Hey, I looked around at a few laptops and this Toshiba Satellite w/ an Intel i5 processor is the best one I could find. It has about 10 hours of battery life, 4 GB of memory and a 500 GB hard drive-$799.99. I'm a huge fan of Mac's myself, but I don't if I can justify taking a hit in processing power just to get the cheapest model.

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop / Intel

Collapse -
Thanks - but lighter laptop?
by lady_eowyn / July 13, 2010 3:59 AM PDT

Thanks Tim!! I noticed that the i5 Toshiba weighs 6 lbs; what would you say is the best bet for an i5 that doesn't weigh above 5 lbs (or at most 5.5 lbs)?

Collapse -
Sorry, I didn't track the thread
by iTechGuy16 / July 21, 2010 2:48 AM PDT

I would have gotten back to you way sooner, but I forgot to track this thread and had no clue you responded. Here is a lighter laptop. 4.4 lbs

HP - Pavilion Laptop / Intel

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2010 9:35 AM PDT

The workplace has me traveling more so they fitted me with a cheap i5. That HP G62-149wm. Don't laugh. It's really nice. My only quibble is the machine arrived with outdated BIOS and drivers. But it rocks at Visual Studio 2008/2010 work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.