Computer Help

Question

Laptop fans run loud until I open task manager (virus?)

by BurritoHunt / November 12, 2012 6:05 PM PST

My laptop has Windows 7 x64 on it and I find that the fans run very loud usually (a direct sign of processor usage from my experience) and erratically ramp up and down when the laptop is not in use.

Now the strange part: opening task manager calms everything down and shows minimal CPU usage from this time on.

With no other changes, opening and leaving the task manager minimized keeps the fans quiet.

Is it possible that I have some program (virus/malware/remoteadmin/etc) running on my PC that "hides" by closing when task manager opens.

I have checked my startup applications and services and I see nothing abnormal.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop fans run loud until I open task manager (virus?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop fans run loud until I open task manager (virus?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try Process Explorer ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 6:24 PM PST

in stead of Task Manager. Maybe this is unexpected. There are other alternatives, but let's start with a well-known one from Microsoft.

Kees

Collapse -
Fan Problem
by TMA89 / November 24, 2012 6:11 AM PST

Hey, there i have a Toshiba Satellite A500 Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and i'm having the EXACT same problem as you are! it's strange, i tries stopping all services from msconfig and the problem stopped but still couldn't detect the service causing this issue, if it's a virus it's a damn smart one for sure, also i'm having the same problem on my desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate x86 if you have any idea on what's causing this issue please share it.

Collapse -
Answer
ww
by qzavs / November 24, 2012 5:51 PM PST

did you find the solution? Process Explorer not helpful

Collapse -
Answer
A.R.
by qzavs / November 25, 2012 6:25 PM PST

Did you find a solution?

Collapse -
Answer
Solved
by qzavs / December 31, 2012 7:10 PM PST

Here's the step by step if you're not into computers.

1/ Open the Task Manager (and let if open)
2/ Go in C:\Windows\System32 and delete "igfxupdate.exe"
3/ Go in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and check if "igfxupdate.exe" is also here, if yes delete it
4/ Open the windows services management console
Start > Execute > services.msc or Start > type "services.msc" in the search bar (Windows 7)
5/ Look for "Search Indexer" -> Right click -> Properties and change the "Automatic" into "Disabled"
6/ Reboot
7/ Open the Windows CMD as an Administrator
Start > type "cmd" in the search bar (Windows 7) -> Right click -> Run as an Administrator
8-> Type "sc delete SearchIndexer" then hit Enter

And you're done !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.