Computer Help forum

Question

Laptop doesn't turn on right, fan running, but black screen

by bookmark123 / March 16, 2013 10:50 AM PDT

Hi everyone, I need help with my laptop, not sure what's wrong with it...

It's a Gateway NV7310u
I've had it for just over three years.

So one morning I opened my laptop and pressed a key to turn it back on from hibernating (I think that's what it's called) and the lights (above the keyboard) that usually come on when it comes back up flashed quickly and then the computer made a sound like it was *going* to turn on but then did nothing (black screen)... And I could hear the fan going on but very low, not as loud as it usually is. Battery was fully charged, and both the lights were on for the battery and the power...

I googled this issue and saw a lot of similar problems but there were different answers as to what the problem was and nothing I read made it any clearer to me. I tried taking the battery out and holding the power button down and putting it back in, etc. That worked maybe 2 or 3 times but that's it.

There's also another issue that I don't know if it's related or not... for the past few months or so my computer would get very hot and shut off randomly when I would do anything like go on webcam, watch videos or listen to something on youtube, etc. I don't know what the problem is with there either. I propped my computer up on stuff so it wasn't flat on a surface but it didn't help much. So I don't know if that contributes to anything that's causing the new issue...

So any solutions are very welcome and if anyone has any ideas on how much this would cost to fix (I know it varies a little depending on where) would be nice.

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Laptop doesn't turn on right, fan running, but black screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Laptop doesn't turn on right, fan running, but black screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the usual. Short version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 2:03 PM PDT

Remove power, and with the machine off, remove the battery and any attached USB things.
Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, release and slip the battery in and attached the charger.

DO NOT PLUG IN ANYTHING ELSE!

Try again.
Bob

Collapse -
no change
by bookmark123 / March 17, 2013 5:33 AM PDT

I have tried this as well and with the same results..

Collapse -
Then it needs repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: no change

Get quotes and decide what next.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you!
by falenf / September 23, 2014 1:45 PM PDT

Thank you, R. Proffitt! I had the same problem as original poster and I just wanted it to turn on so I could gte my files off and this worked! I still don't know what's wrong with it but I don't care! I'm just happy it turned on. So, thanks for your advice.

Collapse -
Share this tech tip (or trick.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2014 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you!

It's worked too many times for me to keep count.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
similar problem no luck so far
by pmaczik / April 5, 2013 1:53 AM PDT

I have a HP pavilion laptop screen problem that is very dark but can see shadows of the desktop.
When I turn on the computer and Windows starts up the laptop screen will turn on for one second. I can see the desk top fine and normal, it then goes back to being very dim. I don't believe it is the lid switch because the lid is always open and not moved.
I can connect externally to TV ok. That tells me the graphic chip and drivers are ok.
I replaced the inverter and lamps with OEM parts. I tested them with my screen before final connect to the mother board and are ok.
I use the function F4 to switch between the TV and laptop display. The laptop will display for one second again and go very dim. That tells me the lamps are working and screen is okay.
I've done the pull battery and power down as some suggest with no luck.
I've went into the power option and set the display to never turn off plugged in or on battery mode.
I see on computer forum sites that others have had the dim screen problem but I haven't seen a solution yet. I am wonder if it might be a register glitch for the display, or a key board problem. One thing I wish I would have done was look to see if any updates were installed right away. I installed to a older display driver with no luck. It could have been a update for some other software that is causing a conflick
Anyone have the same scenario and found the problem?

Collapse -
Is this one of the famous dv9000's?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

If so, may ____ have mercy.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Laptop doesn't turn on right, fan running, but black scr
by Rinsted / December 8, 2013 4:00 AM PST

Gateway laptops are notorious for this type of problem, which in older models is normally due to repeated overheating. How old is your laptop? If it is no longer in warranty, then your repair options can be quite costly. I had a Gateway NE56R34u which suddenly gave me the same problem. Check out this link: www.fixyourlaptopyourself.com. It explains how you can fix it yourself without too much hassle - unusual technique, but it got my system back up and running.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.